Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What was your dream growing up before life kicked you in the nuts/vag?

Tuconots

What was your dream growing up before life kicked you in the nuts/vag?

Perhaps it's mid-life crisis settling in early but I can't help but stare out the office window at my well paying IT job everyday and wonder, "How the fuck did I end up here and why am I miserable"

Fresh out of college I had dreams of being a film editor, being creative, and quietly reflecting on doing what I enjoyed. Instead for the past 12 years I've been stuck in an cubicle IT prison because I decided to sacrifice my dream that was difficult/not paying well for mind numbing, repetitive work that is slowly giving me cancer. Aside from the antidepressants I now take I've recently decided to take classes to become a voiceover actor just because it gives me a creative release. Hopefully when I retire from my current job (7 years) I can do I what I want to do as opposed to what I have to do to make ends meet.

What was your dream before it got crushed by the weight of the real world? What's your current goal now?

(forgive any gramatical errors as the Straterra and vodka messes with my head)

Tuconots
    I dreamed that people were good and not merely selfish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodleface View Post
    I'm a douche though

Tuconots
    Well, shit. That dream got crushed before I left HS.

Tuconots
    Aerospace engineering. I mean, which kid didn't have 'fantasy' jobs that they knew really nothing about. But the one that followed me around most was aerospace. I was fascinated with aircraft (among other mechanical wonders of the world) and Clarency "Kelly" Johnson kept coming up every time I'd find one of my grandfather or dad's old books or WWII VHS tapes and stuff like that. Then the SR-71 and the F-117. I think that was the one which stuck with me the most.

Didn't work out that way, but not sure I was ever sad. Aviation has been taken over by computers and reductionist algorithms rather than the Bill Lear "If it looks good, it will fly good" school of thought.

I think I still have the core of the ideals and aspirations, but it will eventually become a scratch build project of and aircraft or more likely a car when I have the money/space/time in a few years down the road.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Palum View Post
    Aerospace engineering. I mean, which kid didn't have 'fantasy' jobs that they knew really nothing about.
    My fantasy job was "Doctor" but mostly because that's what my dad is. It stayed with me until Calc 2 and it was a big fat Nooope.

Tuconots
    Pre-med has to take all four semesters of calc? That's news to me, I'm 99% sure the pre meds that were in my college classes weren't doing that.

Tuconots
    Can confirm I only took Cal 1 as a pre-med, only the engineers at my school had to take the others. I'm only 27 so probably haven't had time to fail at my dreams yet.

Tuconots
    I thought I was gonna be on the bomb squad. I can't really remember if I thought that would just score me chicks or if I actually wanted it though.

Tuconots
    I don't remember ever thinking I want to be a soandso when I grow up. My mom kept something I wrote when I was probably 8-10 years old for school or something. I wanted to grow up and live all alone in a cabin in the woods. Now I live all alone in a house in the woods. Later I wanted to be a wildlife biologist after being around a few at age 13 or so for a while. Went to school and got a wildlife management degree and a minor in biology. Turned out to be too much a people person job for me. You manage people 99% of the time and the people/habitat 1% of the time. Still put it to good use tho.

Tuconots
    I wanted to be a recording engineer/music producer.

Tuconots
    I was just having a little whinefest last night because I'm turning 28 and getting old sucks. But I promptly felt like shit because i triggered my wife who lost her brother last year and "all we'll be doing is watching people die now".

Going to try to whine less. I just dont want to do a mandatory 40 hour a week job. I haven't given up on it, but I'll prob be 35 before I can do otherwise and that bums me out. I may be able to start a business right now and moonlight, but it'd be in addition to 40 hrs and I've got all these fucking home/rental mprovement projects.

Tuconots
    I picked up the guitar at like 11 or so, got really good really fast and figured I'd be famous. Unfortunately it got to my head and I never really improved from there or tried to join good bands. I gave up on that dream around 25 or so. Now I just play for fun, so it's all good.

Also right out of HS I went to university for computer engineering. Dropped out first semester and worked a dead-end job for like 7 years before I wised up and went back. Lived a pretty shitty life for a long time.
    Noodleface#1412 - <Rerolled> US-Hyjal Horde - Noodleface

Follow me on Twitch! - Streaming Rerolled minivan dad raids Friday nights 9PM EST and Saturday mornings 11AM EST!

Tuconots
    Aerospace engineering. I mean, which kid didn't have 'fantasy' jobs that they knew really nothing about. But the one that followed me around most was aerospace. I was fascinated with aircraft (among other mechanical wonders of the world) and Clarency "Kelly" Johnson kept coming up every time I'd find one of my grandfather or dad's old books or WWII VHS tapes and stuff like that. Then the SR-71 and the F-117. I think that was the one which stuck with me the most.

Didn't work out that way, but not sure I was ever sad. Aviation has been taken over by computers and reductionist algorithms rather than the Bill Lear "If it looks good, it will fly good" school of thought.

I think I still have the core of the ideals and aspirations, but it will eventually become a scratch build project of and aircraft or more likely a car when I have the money/space/time in a few years down the road.
    I had the same dream, but my dream job would be something like space x. Even got a BS in aerospace engineering. I'm a marketing and sales manager now. Yippee.

Everything is meaningless Vinen's Avatar
    Tuconots
    That having money would make me happy.

Now I am high-functioning alcoholic with near zero hobbies who is happy when an e-mail comes in from work at night because it helps fill a void.

Registered Dragonlord Deathwing's Avatar
    Tuconots
    What about the hentai conventions?

Tuconots
    Those fill several voids all at once.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathwing View Post
    What about the hentai conventions?
    I haven't been to an Anime convention in years.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinen View Post
    I haven't been to an Anime convention in years.
    Maybe that's why you're sad. You need more tentacles to fill your "voids".

Tuconots
    I had no life plan until I was probably 30. I lived life by the day and thoroughly enjoyed it, but when I hit 30 it was kind of a "Ok, what the fuck are you doing?" moment. I turned 40 this year. I'm now in at a company I really like, making enough money to live comfortably and have a retirement plan. Life is better now than it's ever been for me, so maybe that kick to the nuts is still ahead of me. My girlfriend did just have her IUD removed, so I imagine that could lead to a kick in the nuts.

Tuconots
    My mom is a pack rat and saves everything I ever did as a kid. She gave me a box full of old school projects a couple years back and in one of them I had this rolled up life plan list I had done in like 3rd grade.

3rd grade Khane thought he was going to be a professional baseball player, have 3 kids by the time he was 23, and retire at age 30.

Didn't quite work out that way. But at least I'm winning internet arguments.

Tuconots
    Cad is a baseball player with 3 kids who retired at 30, maybe envy is the real issue here

I recently found a 10th grade paper that said I wanted to be a civil engineer, so that did work out I guess.
    Last edited by Picasso; 06-08-2016 at 03:03 PM.

Tuconots
    Yea, keep twisting the knife.

Tuconots
    I wanted to be a computer engineer in 10th grade too, my life plan was to work at Nvidia and design video cards

I guess I didn't land way too far off.

Follow me on Twitch! - Streaming Rerolled minivan dad raids Friday nights 9PM EST and Saturday mornings 11AM EST!

Tuconots
    I wanted to be a space fighter pilot but instead science built really fucking amazing phones and enabled old people to get boners.

My entire childhood was a lie.

Arthur C Clarke must be pissed.

Tuconots
    I guess there is a trend here. I grew up wanting to know and do everything there was with space. Obviously I don't remember it, but at 3 months old my parents sat me in front of the TV to watch the moon landing, and it has always intrigued me. My "goal" as a kid was to live to at least 131 (so I'd see the year 2100) and to have at least visited, if not be living on, Mars. In the 47 years since then obviously we haven't done a goddamn thing to help me achieve those goals. And other than getting a bachelor's in aeronautical engineering, I didn't do a fucking thing either. Practically since graduation I've worked jobs that were completely unrelated, and for the last 18 I've sat in almost the same fucking chair in the same fucking office with almost the exact same fucking morons (seriously, I've told the same people at least a dozen times how to attach a file to an email, for instance) doing a job that I'm vastly overqualified for, for far less money than I should be making. And then I go home, fuck around, watch TV or game or read a book, go to bed too late, and wake up tired the next day to do it all over again. I've even lost interest in dating much, because even women my age are motherfucking crazy it seems. And then I sit there and realize that only I can change this, it isn't going to magically fall in my lap, and I get disgusted with myself for even beginning to pity myself. But it just seems to creep up on me, year after year, and I wonder where all the time has gone. There is always some reason why I didn't get around to it, right?

Tuconots
    Considering I was being recruited coming out of grammar school, I wanted to play basketball. However, my mom was a realist and always told me I wasn't a super natural athlete and that I'd never make it to the NBA (thanks mom) so she sent me to a private school for education. I probably could've used the sport during high school to secure a scholarship at a decent D2 or D3 school and gotten an education then (when it might've actually mattered, does anyone in high school actually care?). Instead I played EQ through HS, got decent grades but not outstanding ones like I would've had I gone to a public school or a shittier private school (I had a full ride to St. Anthony's on the table), and I ended up quitting basketball cause I hated my coach. Keep in mind I had a varsity spot waiting for me at my local school but was kept on the freshman team at my private school. Maybe I was just a spoiled brat who didn't want to play freshman ball at the time, who knows.

In short, fuck you mom.

Tuconots
    I joined the Marines to get a degree to join the FBI to then become the director to then move to the Senate to then become POTUS.

I didn't think it would be exactly like that but somewhat along that progression. All I finished out of that was joining the Marines.

My current goal is to get this business idea funded and going and then sell it off for enough money to retire and go work at a non profit or something fun just to fill my time.
    oderint dum metuant

Tuconots
    I wanted to be a fighter pilot like most kids my age, thanks Top Gun. But by the time I was ready to go to college flight spots were rare and most air force or navy officers did not fly, and especially did not fly fighters. I was also told I was too tall and that if I didn't have better-than-perfect eyesight it wouldn't happen - that they just look for ideal stats for fighter pilots now since they need so few. My cousin went into the ANG so he could get a flight spot, and ended up flying C-130's.

Dream crushed

Tuconots
    Literally anything other than being a cubicle slave.

Woops.
    Calling me a Cunt is a lot like calling Hitler a Nazi, it's not exactly received as the insult you were intending.

Star Citizen referral code - [STAR-C3G4-2XMJ]

Tuconots
    I wanted to be a musician - and still do. But hey, at least I'm doing my second favorite thing. Being a sales engineer slinging software! Seriously though, I really do enjoy my job and have no regrets. Almost all of my friends from college went on to pursue music careers and they're all broke as shit. At least one of them can afford to live in Manhattan. But the rest? Not doing things I'm particularly interested in. I look at the things I've been able to do and the places I've traveled and I think I enjoy that more than the musician life. I still play everyday and record stuff in my home studio, but it's a ship that I think has sailed at this point. And I'm OK with that.

Tuconots
    When I was super young, I wanted to be a vet but then later years it was pro skateboarder, while I got decently close to that, I had a string of injuries that destroyed that dream. Now I work a job that I enjoy and live comfortably on.

Now I just race bikes for my hobby, I know I'll never be at the pro level but I enjoy it for what it is and still skate when I find the time.

Tl Dr : life still hasn't kicked me in the nuts

Tuconots
    Never had a strong inclination to be anything. But if I were to trade places with someone, I'd pick Nacho Vidal.

Tuconots
    I remember when I was a kid jerking it to my dad's playboys I vowed to myself when I turned 20 or so I'd move to Southern California and date a playboy model

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by koljec View Post
    But if I were to trade places with someone, I'd pick Nacho Vidal.
    That's a good choice.

Tuconots
    I wanted to design MUD dungeons. I have dozens of graph paper designs still in a trunk of useless shit. I also wanted to be the guy that put the stories together for said dungeons.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Brahma View Post
    I wanted to design MUD dungeons. I have dozens of graph paper designs still in a trunk of useless shit. I also wanted to be the guy that put the stories together for said dungeons.
    You may be able to find a D&D meetup group and play DM

Tuconots
    Wanted to work in programming/tech since I was like 12. Originally video games (lol). Realized how much Video Game dev sucks early on. Now I am just happy solving problems and designing databases and such. Wasn't so hard of a kick in the nuts.
    "Let go your earthly tether. Enter the void. Empty, and become wind."
    -Zaheer
    B.Net: TJT#1179

Tuconots
    I wanted to be the General Manager of the Vancouver Canucks. Pretty sure I dodged a bullet on that one.

Tuconots
    You know dude, if you ever want to play D&D and Pathfinder and don't mind hanging out with a fat white dude you'd be a perfect Dungeon Master

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenks View Post
    I remember when I was a kid jerking it to my dad's playboys I vowed to myself when I turned 20 or so I'd move to Southern California and date a playboy model
    Is this why you're considering moving to Orange County? It's not too late!

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Is this why you're considering moving to Orange County? It's not too late!
    This was back when I didn't understand the connection between being rich and having a hot model girlfriend

Tuconots
    I have a great deal of military tradition in my family. As a teen I really wanted to be a Navy SEAL. I was a pretty good athlete and I always felt like I had a good temperament for that sort of thing. I actually got into the Divefarer program, which later became the SEAL challenge contract or some such. So I was in basic training with a bunch of other wannabe badasses. A series of minor injuries and I end up washing out of the program. I did eventually end up doing some operational things in the Navy but never did get back on track for this. Then some various things happened and ended up with me running a gaming and comic shop!

Tuconots
    You know dude, if you ever want to play D&D and Pathfinder and don't mind hanging out with a fat white dude you'd be a perfect Dungeon Master
    If you ever want to play D&D and Pathfinder, isn't the assumption that you'll be playing with fat white dudes?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Soygen View Post
    If you ever want to play D&D and Pathfinder, isn't the assumption that you'll be playing with fat white dudes?
    LOL!

Tuconots
    I always did what I thought I was supposed to do, because I had no real idea what I wanted. My "dream" was to get married, have kids, a happy family and all that jazz. I took turning 30 to realize that none of that was my dream, it was just stupid societal expectations set on me that I happily went along with.

Now I'm finally getting to live part of my dream, though do have all that other stuff along with it. Make the best of it though because even though I know now I should have never had kids, I still love them and will always have that need to make sure they are happy, safe, etc.

Tuconots
    Football. I was good enough. My multiple knee and ankle injuries unfortunately did not allow that.
    BUT I do computer shit, which was always my second love.

Yay, post 3000 is about my failures.

Tuconots
    Astronaut.

Tuconots
    I had a distant relative that at one point was the Dean of Law at Notre Dame University, so as a kid I grew up wanting to go to Notre Dame and be a lawyer. Actually found some archived NY Times news articles that my distant relative was involved in a scandal and was forced to resign! Anyway, this never happened. Ended up getting real lazy in school, and took the C's get Degree's right around middle school. Then got into MMO's my Freshman year of highschool and spent way too much time in that to make anything of it.

Now, finally at age 33, I'm into networking, and a new guy just started that's 22... makes me think wtf did I do with the last 10 years of my life?! I'm happy to finally have a career path, but damn do I wish I had done so many things different.

This post is depressing.
    Battle.net - Crone#1894 || Steam - Crone
    PSN: BigCrone

Tuconots
    Can't do shit with regret, so don't waste your time with it!

Tuconots
    I wanted to be a computer engineer in 10th grade too, my life plan was to work at Nvidia and design video cards

I guess I didn't land way too far off.
    I talked to NVidia a couple of times in college. Perhaps they chose their campus reps poorly, but they came off as douchey pompous cunts. And this was at information session/meet & greet events, not from a bad interview or something. I put no further effort into working there after.

I got an offer from the NSA, but ended up going private sector job instead. I did get the fun interview with the human lie detector who asks about everything you've ever done that you REALLY don't want to discuss with a law enforcement agency employee. Good times.

And as a kid, I wanted to be an astronaut. Seeing where the space program ended up, probably best I didn't go that route. Plus getting shot into space on a tube filled with enough fuel to erase a small city is pretty unsettling.

Tuconots
    Do you know that phase in your young childhood where you run around pretending you're a dinosaur or a monster, or you know...whatever?

I probably spent a lot longer in that phase, for a long time I was convinced that I was going to find my way out of the boxed in reality. I would come up with what I thought were original ideas, but really just rehashes of cartoons, and fantasy works, and mesh them to what I thought was cool or sounded best, and for a longer time than was probably reasonable, I was convinced I could find a way out, go "Super Sayian" or become a Planeswalker, some type of godlike thing.

At one point I said artist, or cartoonist, graphic artist, video game maker (probably a cop, doctor, fireman, CIA as well at any given point in time) but in a lot of ways I grew out of that on my own, and I don't know if it was ever what I wanted so much as what I liked enough to emulate at the time, because in my mind I always wanted to punch through the wall, crack the fish tank, find the hole in the universe that lead me oiut.

I don't think I ever really grew out of that feeling, I'm not dissatisfied with what I do for a living right now, but if I could use the developer skill set I've learned and am learning, for something more scientific facing or something contributory, that'd be cool.

Part of me would and will always desire to find an understanding that I can pass on, the likes of which most people search for through faith, without getting tied down with the theology. Just some type of bridge/ evidence if not of something after/other than life, something that fills in certain gaps.
    Last edited by Voyce; 06-08-2016 at 11:07 PM.

Tuconots
    I just wanted to write music. And maybe teach. I went through the wannabe a rockstar phase like a lot of young men do, but gave up on that fairly quickly after being in a few bands and having to make the sausage. That part of it wasn't sexy at all. I gave up on teaching as soon as I got into conservatory and saw what that actually WAS.

But the good news is that I do get to write music whenever I want. I think the kick in the nuts is that I also expected people might want to listen to it, or that it would make me money, or that it would be... you know... good. In print that might sound like self-pity. I assure you it is not. I find nothing pitiable in it.

There just comes a point where you have to decide why you do it. And there comes a point where you have to keep doing it and stop bothering people with it.

Iannis didn't do anything ZyyzYzzy's Avatar
    Tuconots
    2 chicks at 1 time.

And some government super secret shit type of stuff

Tuconots
    I developed several muds when I was a teen. Good times.
    Last edited by Draegan; 06-10-2016 at 01:17 AM.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Draegan View Post
    I developed several kids when I was a teen. Good times.
    Hmmmmm

Tuconots
    I wanted to be a Dad, like my Dad was to me. Work hard, come to all the games I could, teach the lil monkies how to play ball.

First real serious girlfriend broke me in half emotionally, I spent years trying to recover and went from a 21 year old with his shit together to where I am now almost a male Mist. (Just not as pathetically depressed) Now sure it is my own damn fault for not getting my shit together sooner but after 20+ years of fuckupery I have a nice engrained habit.

I wish I had a time machine.

Tuconots
    Draegan, did your phone autocorrect "muds" to "kids"? Hahahah.

Tuconots
    Wanted to work in cryptography. Joined the Navy with a school for it, with the plan to use that experience to get me a step at defense contractors or the government after I got my degree. Lost my school in bootcamp for being colorblind, ended up doing maintenance on cranes/winches for 4 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanoomba View Post
    You're a disgusting person and you should absolutely feel deeply, deeply ashamed of yourself.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by radditsu View Post
    Football. I was good enough. My multiple knee and ankle injuries unfortunately did not allow that.
    Sorry to hear that man. I'd be like Boobie Miles in Friday Night Lights if I had to go through something like that.

Pic somewhat related as it was the first thing that jumped in my head after reading that first line.

football.jpg

Tuconots
    An Astronomer. I won one of those McDonalds "When I Grow Up" speech contests about it when I was in 5th grade.
    tbh i'd suck a penis

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarrant View Post
    An Astronomer. I won one of those McDonalds "When I Grow Up" speech contests about it when I was in 5th grade.
    Wow, so you disappointed your Dad AND Ronald McDonald? Damn dude.

Tuconots
    Wow, so you disappointed your Dad AND Ronald McDonald? Damn dude.
    No.
    tbh i'd suck a penis

Tuconots
    No.

Tuconots
    I wanted to be an architect. Always loved construction and how things were built. My dad brought me home a pirated copy of the AutoCAD program and I had a blast. Went into high school and we had a drafting class and I loved it. Went into 11th grade and the local tech school discontinued their Auto CAD program so I took auto mechanics instead. Long story short I teach high school now and still have no idea what the fuck I want to do in life.

Tuconots
    I loved auto mechanics in high school. Senior year they had early dismisal if you had enough credits to graduate so I had 4 hours of auto mechanics than an hour of english and I was done at noon and went home. Stayed friends with the instructor up until about 5 years ago when he died. Junior year we did a cage build and all the interior work on a '67 Chevelle drag car. Senior year we built a 396 for it. Great times. Went to state and won the yearly compeition they had. Long ass written test followed by a practical. First time I had ever seen an Acura which was the car I was assigned. For a $500 gift certificate to Snap-on which was nice and still use some of the tools I got with it (30 years later) nd a $500 deal for a scholarship if I wanted to pursue auto mechanics, and some other odds and ends like fender covers that were nice and stuff like that and a trophy. I went with a friend and his parents, I felt bad he didn't progress on from the written and they had to sit there and watch me compete.

I took drafting in high school since I went to the magnet school for engineering. It was the very early days of AutoCad in the mid 80's. The instructor had AutoCad on a computer and he had taken a course on it. He would sit and look at it a lot. He couldn't figure out when you drew something that went off the screen how you ever got it back lol. Luckily I was working part time at home with it and got him straightened out. Sadly the school had paid money for him to take that course and they never into zooming out, panning etc...

For a long time I wanted to be a pilot, not commercial. I knew I couldn't be because I was a diabetic. That changed a few years ago with the sport pilot license but I haven't pursued it since I've been busy.

Thinking about it today, the one driving force since age 7 or so was I didn't want to grow up to be someone that had to interact with other people. That pretty much worked out. Rather deal with objects than people every day even if I get paid less.
    Last edited by Borzak; 06-10-2016 at 10:26 AM.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Echuta View Post
    Sorry to hear that man. I'd be like Boobie Miles in Friday Night Lights if I had to go through something like that.

Pic somewhat related as it was the first thing that jumped in my head after reading that first line.

football.jpg
    I look exactly like that IRL

Tuconots
    No.
    C'mon, man. That shit was funny!

Tuconots
    I spent grade school in California then moved to Iowa for middle and high school. Pretty common thing for kids out on the west coast, but I wanted to do marine biology and kept that dream alive well into high school when I was told CA was too far away for a college destination. Ended up at Iowa State and then here in Minneapolis after that.

I like a lot of things about the Twin Cities, but damn if I don't miss the ocean more than anything. I don't have a ton of regrets. I wouldn't have ever had music be such a big part of my life if it wasn't for the friends I first met in college and I'm really happy with what I've accomplished there. At the same time, corporate america has turned me very lazy and that's definitely not the type of kid I was previously where I just craved any type of activity possible.

I'm stuck in the midwest at least a while longer because of some family issues, but I always have this plan in the back of my head to relocate out west once I'm given the chance. I think that's still a ways away, but I hope I can do it before I'm too old to enjoy it.

Tuconots
    I also really, really wanted a monkey as a pet growing up.

Tuconots
    You can still live that dream, man.

MAKE EARTH EXTINCT AGAIN! Abefroman's Avatar
    Tuconots
    A shitposter on a message board.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodleface
    Marriage is the best, I love having sex with my husband and giving him BJ's when I'm on my period

Rape Culture Enthusiast Dr. Mario Speedwagon's Avatar
    Tuconots
    I cannot remember a single point in my life where I knew what I wanted to be/do. Not a good feeling and is probably a large part of why I spent most of my time in high school smoking weed. Can't say I'm unhappy with my life but I don't really feel like I have much in terms of a purpose or life goals, which is alright I guess.

Tuconots
    The older I get the more I regret not doing more of everything except tv and I think I see that in a lot of older people so I try to stay busy. "Want" is prob strong for career choices for most people, engineer was really just a preference.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenks View Post
    I also really, really wanted a monkey as a pet growing up.
    My father ordered a squirrel monkey from a comic book ad back in the late 50's. My grandmother was not so amused. Some pretty hilarious pictures to be had from it. Met his poor end at the hands of a raccoon it tried to fuck with.
    "Let go your earthly tether. Enter the void. Empty, and become wind."
    -Zaheer
    B.Net: TJT#1179

Tuconots
    When asked in 7th grade, said I wanted to be a pilot.

Went to college, joined AFROTC, tested, awarded pilot allocation, went through encampment (got to fly a aerobatics in a t-37, not sexy but... Fucking. Fun.) , sworn in my junior year, physiological training at Wright Patt, got to legit wear a flight suit with cadet wings, signed a contract for 18 years. I was making it happen.

The summer after my Junior year I was scheduled to go to flight training and some shadow program. Things were going good. One spring afternoon, all pilots and navigators were called into a meeting with our detachment commander and he told us the AF was voiding all pilot and navigator contracts with anyone not going to the academy. Major kick in the nuts. My whole identity came crashing in.

That summer, I skipped classes that I was scheduled to take in order to graduate on time and, instead, worked in a steel mill. Got a call from my commander at work to say that they were inviting everyone back but we'd have to accept some other job for an indeterminate amount of time before going to UPT. However, by the time I got back to school, I was behind on classes due to the summer job and the whole way it went down plus the mystery job just made it unappealing. So, I didn't go back under contract.

I think a combination of a feeling of betrayal and the mental shift I had gone through just didn't leave me with the tenacity to sack up and get it done. Looking back, I'd probably plow through.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny49 View Post
    these guys are disturbed...

Tuconots
    I wanted to design video games. Not necessarily program, but design. As a kid growing up in the late 70s and 80s I was big into text adventures, then Sierra graphic adventure games(Kings Quest, Space Quest, Police Quest, etc), and then eventually console RPGs (Dragon Warrior, Final Fantasy, etc) I wanted to design the worlds. I had notebooks full of map designs, monster designs, dungeon designs, etc. Only problem was, I wasn't good at art, so I knew I'd have to go the programming route to get my foot in the door.

Honors student in HS, got all the honors science and math classes I could get, went to a big University and enrolled in Computer Engineering/Comp Sci and 2 years into it I hated life. I hated programming, I hated the math(fuck you Calc 2 & 3), and the thought of sitting in front of a computer screen analyzing endless lines of code made me want to stick a gun in my mouth.

In highschool I had got a part time job at Software Etc/Babbage's (remember those) and I LOVED it. Could talk to people about video games and computer equipment all day. Kept working part time through HS and college and one day I was bitching to my manager about going back to school and how much I hated it, and he offered me a full time assistant manager position on the spot. Spent 9 years(ages 17 to 26) in retail, working my way up to middle management (district manager for Gamestop by 25) before leaving to join my father in the Insurance business(last 12 years, ages 26-38). Make a good living now, I enjoy interacting with people and customers but in a normal 9-5 setting, not shitty retail hours. This year my father is retiring and I'm opening my own agency. I'll be a business owner and I'm really looking forward to it.

Still love games, love building computers, but it's all a hobby. I'd probably hate it if it were my career and something I had to take seriously.
    Last edited by joeboo; 06-12-2016 at 07:22 PM.

Tuconots
    I know so, so many people that were in my freshman CS classes wanting to develop video games but never wrote a line of code in their lives. The found out that they absolutely hate everything about development and swap majors. It was ungodly common.

Tuconots
    I do wonder if one day i could get into game programming but I've never tried.

Tuconots
    Oddly enough I have no memory of ever wanting to be anything until about half way through the Navy when I realized I never wanted to have a boss, so businessman.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by joeboo View Post
    I wanted to design video games. Not necessarily program, but design. As a kid growing up in the late 70s and 80s I was big into text adventures, then Sierra graphic adventure games(Kings Quest, Space Quest, Police Quest, etc), and then eventually console RPGs (Dragon Warrior, Final Fantasy, etc) I wanted to design the worlds. I had notebooks full of map designs, monster designs, dungeon designs, etc. Only problem was, I wasn't good at art, so I knew I'd have to go the programming route to get my foot in the door.

Honors student in HS, got all the honors science and math classes I could get, went to a big University and enrolled in Computer Engineering/Comp Sci and 2 years into it I hated life. I hated programming, I hated the math(fuck you Calc 2 & 3), and the thought of sitting in front of a computer screen analyzing endless lines of code made me want to stick a gun in my mouth.

In highschool I had got a part time job at Software Etc/Babbage's (remember those) and I LOVED it. Could talk to people about video games and computer equipment all day. Kept working part time through HS and college and one day I was bitching to my manager about going back to school and how much I hated it, and he offered me a full time assistant manager position on the spot. Spent 9 years(ages 17 to 26) in retail, working my way up to middle management (district manager for Gamestop by 25) before leaving to join my father in the Insurance business(last 12 years, ages 26-38). Make a good living now, I enjoy interacting with people and customers but in a normal 9-5 setting, not shitty retail hours. This year my father is retiring and I'm opening my own agency. I'll be a business owner and I'm really looking forward to it.

Still love games, love building computers, but it's all a hobby. I'd probably hate it if it were my career and something I had to take seriously.
    You and me are about the same age if you're 38 now, so we were on a similar track. I was told even if I went to the academy that the chances of getting a flight spot were slim. Definitely a huge kick in the nuts

Tuconots
    I do wonder if one day i could get into game programming but I've never tried.
    It's not worth it. The pay, hours and job security are complete trash.
    I wanted to makes games at one time then I saw the $$$$ in Enterprise Software.

One day I'd still like to break the golden handcuffs that bind me and work for a startup again on something new and interesting.
    Last edited by Vinen; 06-13-2016 at 02:48 AM.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Cad View Post
    You and me are about the same age if you're 38 now, so we were on a similar track. I was told even if I went to the academy that the chances of getting a flight spot were slim. Definitely a huge kick in the nuts
    You quoted the wrong post. So you were gonna be a pilot too huh?

Tuconots
    My dad was an air traffic controller in the Navy so I had a brief stint of wanting to be a pilot as well flying Tomcats. But back then you basically had to be born with 20/20 vision to be considered. I'm sure now with lasik it isn't a requirement.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Echuta View Post
    Perhaps it's mid-life crisis settling in early but I can't help but stare out the office window at my well paying IT job everyday and wonder, "How the fuck did I end up here and why am I miserable"
    I used to dream of making videogames as a kid. I did get an offer for one about five years ago, but turned it down. So I guess I got close. And it was a good call, as the company announced huge layoffs a year later. I wanted to do it when I was younger, but got ignored. The company in question was one I established a relationship on FOH, and eventually, they were like, everything you said about this game ended up happening, why don't you come work for us.

I own a business and it's done well. There's no way I could have turned down the money I was making and moved across country for a lot less money. And the industry is just rife with layoffs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nester View Post
    No, his super power is super preparedness. So basicly the. Best gay date of your life, cooks your favourite meal, has your favourite song in the back ground, playing your favorite game while drinking your favourite scotch. He knows what you like and it sets the mood, also Lots of lube and just enough forplay. He is batman he is ready for YOU as he has dedicated his life to being ready to do the things others can't and wont.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyrical View Post
    I used to dream of making videogames as a kid. I did get an offer for one about five years ago, but turned it down. So I guess I got close. And it was a good call, as the company announced huge layoffs a year later. I wanted to do it when I was younger, but got ignored. The company in question was one I established a relationship on FOH, and eventually, they were like, everything you said about this game ended up happening, why don't you come work for us.

I own a business and it's done well. There's no way I could have turned down the money I was making and moved across country for a lot less money. And the industry is just rife with layoffs.
    was it Curt Schilling's 38 studios? You avoided quite the trainwreck if you passed on that one. Good call.

Tuconots
    I always wanted to do what I do, except not digitally but be a true draftsman on the board with pencils and shit. One time my pops took me to his work, General Motors, at the time he worked for Pontiac, I think I was about 11 or so mid 80s. Well I was walking past all those drafting tables with dudes drawing on steel plates with gold! Thats how they used to do it. And ever since I saw that its what I wanted to do.

I took all the drafting classes I could in High school, even won a vocational clubs of America 2nd place award for state of Michigan in drafting. Then went to college for the shit, took that along with mechanical engineering. Most drafting even in school was all on the board, with some computer shit thrown in. Took all sorts of classes like surface design, panel tipping, descriptive geometry, shit like that. Got hired by an engineering firm my first year of school and have been working ever since as a design engineer but mostly on the computer. In the early mid80s- 90s most of the boards went away and got replaced by computers, I still love it though.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by joeboo View Post
    was it Curt Schilling's 38 studios? You avoided quite the trainwreck if you passed on that one. Good call.
    Given that the person who offered me the job is no longer there, and the company has changed hands, I'll say it. I was offered a job as a dev on DCUO about five years ago (back during the server hack). Given I'm such a rabid comic book fan and MMO player, it would have been a dream job for me. But I told them, my business is established, and I'm able to live well. I saw how many devs they've run through over there, and didn't think I'd have longer than a year. To me, the weirdest thing about that industry is that people only work on projects for one to two years, and then move on. I'm in my 40's and have only worked for two Employers after college. I just told them I appreciated it, and that I was available to talk about the game at anytime, and I kicked myself in the ass over it (and still do).
    Last edited by Lyrical; 06-13-2016 at 03:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nester View Post
    No, his super power is super preparedness. So basicly the. Best gay date of your life, cooks your favourite meal, has your favourite song in the back ground, playing your favorite game while drinking your favourite scotch. He knows what you like and it sets the mood, also Lots of lube and just enough forplay. He is batman he is ready for YOU as he has dedicated his life to being ready to do the things others can't and wont.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by mkopec View Post
    I always wanted to do what I do, except not digitally but be a true draftsman on the board with pencils and shit. One time my pops took me to his work, General Motors, at the time he worked for Pontiac, I think I was about 11 or so mid 80s. Well I was walking past all those drafting tables with dudes drawing on steel plates with gold! Thats how they used to do it. And ever since I saw that its what I wanted to do.

I took all the drafting classes I could in High school, even won a vocational clubs of America 2nd place award for state of Michigan in drafting. Then went to college for the shit, took that along with mechanical engineering. Most drafting even in school was all on the board, with some computer shit thrown in. Took all sorts of classes like surface design, panel tipping, descriptive geometry, shit like that. Got hired by an engineering firm my first year of school and have been working ever since as a design engineer but mostly on the computer. In the early mid80s- 90s most of the boards went away and got replaced by computers, I still love it though.
    Power went off in the office one day but the shop kept power. Anyway I had to draw some templates for the shop. I was using the board and a drafting machine. Some of the other guys stood around going "magic" they had no clue what the thing was even tho it was in the room for the last 25 years. Sad.

A shop that now has 3 full time guys drawing used to be about 8-10 guys drawing on the board all day. Amount of guys to draw it has gone down, quality of work has gone down as well, but it's done quicker. Guys who drew on the board for years thought a lot more about what they were drawing because it took time and you didn't just move shit around. Dad did it till I transitioned him to a computer. He took a lot of shortcuts since appearance wasn't all that a priority. He had stick ons of braces and beams and such and then would just fill in the dimensions and such. I do miss going to some of the larger engineering companies and places like the Exxon engineering department and they had row after row of guys drawing on the table, maybe 25 per room and had room after room of them.
    Last edited by Borzak; 06-13-2016 at 04:50 PM.

Tuconots
    After my stint in TV/Film and prior to my IT job now I worked with EA for a couple years as a tester/QA. It was a great job but only filled 9 months out of the year due to only 3-4 titles being worked on during the year. Pay was low, hours could get nuts during BETA testing (noon-4am/6 days a week), and job security was non existent. I saw fellow testers get fired at a drop of the hat due to them not finding enough quality bugs. I was lucky that I was good enough to be kept and moved to another game once a title finished. I definitely viewed it as a job and not a career so I left after 2 years. I always kinda regret leaving. Despite the lack of job security, I always felt I was with those who were just like me. We were passionate about games, movies, comics, sports, etc. The conversations in the break room were always epic (think Grandmas Boy DDR scene. Yeah, very true to life). At my job now we bitch about our bosses talk about what forms need to be completed and what antidepressants were on.

I long to go back into video game industry but more as a writer or something for ign or Nerdist. I feel I'm too old for their demographic now.

Registered Dragonlord Deathwing's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Not really sure I have/had a specific dream growing up. Definitely been metaphorically kicked in the nuts by life. But I don't think I've had any dreams ruined because I can't really coalesce what I *truly* like doing into a job. Not to sound cliche, but I really like doing puzzles. A game throws a bunch of different rules and systems at you, I love puzzling out what's the best way to do something. Modeling a system, iterating errors and input until you reach a relatively good answer. WoW and D3 provided lots of entertainment in this regard. And to be honest, as a test engineer, I get that from time to time on my job(I love programming for performance even if it is a net waste of time), so perhaps I'm already working my "dream" job.

Or even better, finding ways to break their systems to do things that wasn't intended. I don't think I've had more fun than playing some of the aspects of a bard in EQ.

Is there a job that better fits that description? Probably. Worth going back to school and/or switching careers? Likely not. Not worth worrying about and I get what I enjoy in my free time.

Tuconots
    Anyone who believes there's a job out there that fits the "dream" description is fooling themselves. That video Borzak linked from Mike Rowe is so spot on.

I think my dream job would be to do what that guy is doing and hope to be as simple and eloquent as he is. He just gets it and he says what he's thinking in plain english without alienating anyone in his audience.

Tuconots
    I think the number of people who if they won the lottery wouldn't just quit their jobs is an absolute tiny amount. Regardless of what you job is there is something that annoys you and if given the option of being able to leave and do whatever you want while still maintaining financial freedom would be impossible to pass up. Even the hosts on Mike & Mike said if they win the lottery they'd probably quit. They acknowledged they love their jobs but unlimited family time and not having to obey a schedule would just be too nice.

Tuconots
    thanks for crushing my dreams vinen

Tuconots
    Noodle, the key to happiness is masturbation. But everyone must participate.

Tuconots
    meta

No Pants Dance
    Tuconots
    I wanted nothing less than to explore space. I was sure that I could make it. I was sure that I was smart enough, I had the moral fiber, etc. Turns out, genetics boned me. Oh well. At least I get to explore space in video games, I guess.

Tuconots
    Hrmmm. How old are you? Not to be a dick but we haven't had a manned space exploration program since... well pretty much since I was born.

No Pants Dance
    Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Khane View Post
    Hrmmm. How old are you? Not to be a dick but we haven't had a manned space exploration program since... well pretty much since I was born.
    I am in my 30s. I was sure that by the time I was an adult, that we would be sending people to Mars or have a habitat set up on the moon. Dreams of a child, I know. Finding out you have a genetic heart condition in your early teens shits on dreams and leads to a self-destructive cycle! At least I cleaned myself up in my 20s and have the 'American Dream' (House, steady job, running car, a bit of land).

Tuconots
    Yea after I wrote that I realized I absolutely was being a dick. Just because it hadn't happened since we were kids doesn't mean it was a sure thing it never would have started up again.

Tuconots
    Wanted to take over my Dad's industrial dry lock valve business. But, mother walked out when I was 13 and left us hanging, so he had to sell. Dream #1 gone.

These days, I dream (almost daily) about being a race car driver. GT2/3, Le Mans, etc. Real race cars (honestly don't think I'm quick enough for Formula 1, plus I'm 34 now, which is way too old). Since work is pretty decent, I may end up being able to have it as a hobby before too long. Kind of turn it into a Paul Newman, Steve McQueen privateer thing.

Thread Information