Thread: TeamViewer Hacked

Tuconots

TeamViewer Hacked

Gonna post this here as a PSA for anyone here who may be using Teamviewer

TeamViewer has been hacked. They are denying everything and pointing fingers at the users.

There is apparently a massive hack going on right now using their software. Any Rerolled bros using it should be on the lookout.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mist View Post
    What we're talking about here is the fact that there's a ton of MRA sleepers inside GamerGate communities, and they're using GamerGate to give themselves cover for their shitposting.

Tuconots
    So what is TeamViewer?

Tuconots
    Out police software uses it for support.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryGerbil View Post
    So what is TeamViewer?
    It's a remote desktop program. Mostly used for IT support, though others use it so they can remote into their home PC when they're somewhere else. Basically it seems someone's figured out how to use it to remotely connect to anyone using the program and then looking for stored passwords on Internet browsers. They then log into Amazon/PayPal etc and steal what they can.
    What we're talking about here is the fact that there's a ton of MRA sleepers inside GamerGate communities, and they're using GamerGate to give themselves cover for their shitposting.

Tuconots
    I got hacked and I got money taken out of my account. It is the worst type of intrusion as my home pc has everything saved... everything..

I'm in the process of getting it back.

Tuconots
    Damn that sucks. My local grocery chain got hacked and several of my friends got their checking/debit accounts drained. They didn't get me for some reason. Probably too broke. I think many were able to recover it but I do not envy you. Good luck getting your shit back Lenindoritos.

Tuconots
    Haha "we didn't get hacked the hackers just got the passwords from like Facebook maybe"

MAKE EARTH EXTINCT AGAIN! Abefroman's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Use it to keep my fathers computer up to date and clean and use it daily. Zero problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodleface
    Marriage is the best, I love having sex with my husband and giving him BJ's when I'm on my period

Tuconots
    Yeah... thank god I just use Remote Desktop to get to my servers from home. Sorry leo, that sucks hard.
    "Let go your earthly tether. Enter the void. Empty, and become wind."
    -Zaheer
    B.Net: TJT#1179

Tuconots
    I actually got it in real time. I got the chase alert about buying 4 Xbox memberships and I logged into my house from work, just to start a torrent, and bam saw the windows opened and then the connected client list was more than one.
    It was an "Oh fuck me" moment.

Did you know you can see the passwords in Chrome for your websites? Yeah you can, all you need is the local windows password.

Tuconots
    How did they get your local password if it is just a remote connection though?
    "Let go your earthly tether. Enter the void. Empty, and become wind."
    -Zaheer
    B.Net: TJT#1179

Tuconots
    It's a daemon already running as root. And it's based on host id not user/pass

MAKE EARTH EXTINCT AGAIN! Abefroman's Avatar
    Tuconots
    I'm interested to see if this turns into another Diablo 3 hacking event or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodleface
    Marriage is the best, I love having sex with my husband and giving him BJ's when I'm on my period

Tuconots
    Pants-shitting mitigated by the fact that the service is only running on laptops that are usually turned off. I only use the client end on my PC.

Still, need to disable ASAP.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by TJT View Post
    How did they get your local password if it is just a remote connection though?
    It's the same password as TeamViewer, I'm working under the worst possible scenario.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by sadris View Post
    It's a daemon already running as root. And it's based on host id not user/pass
    Do you have a source on this?

The Lion of MMA Predictions Ameraves's Avatar
    Tuconots
    They almost got me a couple weeks ago. I was out grabbing some lunch and my wife called me to ask if I was logging into the computer remotely. She was at the computer and said someone was on Ebay and trying to purchase $200 gift cards. I told her to close down TeamViewer, but she just closed the session for the person that was logged on. They immediately tried to come back on, and I told her to shut the program all the way down.

I use this on my computer, my cousins computer, and my daughters. I am stuck being tech support for my whole family, and this was the easiest way for me to manage it. I've uninstalled it from their computers now, and don't have it start up on mine anymore.

Registered Dragonlord Deathwing's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by lendarios View Post
    It's the same password as TeamViewer, I'm working under the worst possible scenario.
    Password sharing is not how you make 7 figures! Time to get yourself a password vault.

Hard Truths Cut Both Ways AladainAF's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Sorry to hear this lendarios, thanks for PSA post, already warned people that I know use it.

Tuconots
    This is fucked thank god i dont use auto login or passwod saving for anything.

Edit. Wait they have our teamviewer pw

Tuconots
    Do you have a source on this?
    The fact that I can connect without being prompted for a password?

Tuconots
    fortunately we only use the quicklaunch version with the session # and four digit pin.

Tuconots
    Did you know you can see the passwords in Chrome for your websites? Yeah you can, all you need is the local windows password.
    You don't even need the Windows Password. From what that Reddit thread was saying these hackers are installing a program called Webbrowserpassview which will pull your saved passwords right out of whatever browser you have.

Tuconots
    Use TeamViewer for tech support purpose for family and no issues. Although I don't allow them to use the saved password feature on their browsers. Not sure why anyone would do that in this day in age because if someone gets remote access you're completely fucked.

Tuconots
    If you keep your screen locked on OSX, even with VNC/remote admin unless your account password is the same as your VNC password (this would be insane) you can get screen access but can't unlock the screen/desktop.

Does it not work that way in windows?

Shiny
    Tuconots
    In windows you can set up your security policies pretty much however you like. People be lazy though so often access to one thing will give you access to many. For stuff like this breach they'll likely get nothing from most boxes but since they can likely rip through hundreds an hour, they will.

As usual, you don't need to be completely protected, just slightly more secure than the next guy.

Banned
    Tuconots
    Reminds me of a local bank where the ATMs used to have monitors over them. At night, they would regularly display a Windows "shutting down" screen, which was already pretty unprofessional. One night there was TeamViewer on the monitor, displaying the code that needed to be entered to access that computer. I couldn't believe it. Shortly after that, they just got rid of the monitors.

Tuconots
    I dodged a bullet on this one. No attempts at any breach on my computer. I wonder if they actually have the username/password for the people that got hacked, or if they just have some way to bypass login to get into people's accounts. Anyone know?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Stave View Post
    I dodged a bullet on this one. No attempts at any breach on my computer. I wonder if they actually have the username/password for the people that got hacked, or if they just have some way to bypass login to get into people's accounts. Anyone know?
    I am reading all over the place that 2FA doesn't stop them which means more than just user/pass.
    oderint dum metuant

Hard Truths Cut Both Ways AladainAF's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by suineg View Post
    I am reading all over the place that 2FA doesn't stop them which means more than just user/pass.
    That's what makes TV's comments about the matter bunk. If people are getting into accounts with 2FA protection, it's on TV, its not just username/password carelessness.

Tuconots
    i uninstalled TV on all my family PCs including parents and siblings after I heard about this a few days ago and installed Chrome Remote Desktop instead. Turns out to work a little bit better for remote tech support anyways, while you have to be logged into chrome on the same account on both PCs (but you can have new windows with a diff login so no big deal) it seems just as good and has some stuff that actually works better for me, like alt-tab switches on your host PC instead of the remote PC and its not got little shitty windows all over the place while you are remoted in.

RIP Teamviewer

Tuconots
    MySpace was in the news this week for being hacked. I think the news is that MySpace was still around and worth hacking?

http://www.refinery29.com/2016/06/112737/myspace-hack

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by sadris View Post
    The fact that I can connect without being prompted for a password?
    In my case you need a password to connect to the pc. Hopefully we get more info soon. Lucky my pc has been off for the better rlpart of the last 2 weeks due to moving. I also enabled 2fa. Hopefully it helps.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Borzak View Post
    MySpace was in the news this week for being hacked. I think the news is that MySpace was still around and worth hacking?

http://www.refinery29.com/2016/06/112737/myspace-hack
    People are lazy and reuse passwords. Hack myspace, go to gmail check password. Go from there to reset everything else they use.

Tuconots
    This is why people need a password vault. I think we've discussed the typical setup in a different sub forum, but it might be worth repeating here. Once you do the initial setup and change all your passwords, it's really not that much less inconvenient than storing your passwords in a web browser.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Skanda View Post
    You don't even need the Windows Password. From what that Reddit thread was saying these hackers are installing a program called Webbrowserpassview which will pull your saved passwords right out of whatever browser you have.
    this was confirmed on my logs.

lovely.

Tuconots
    Luckily my BF found this on reddit and just happened to tell me about it (he didn't really know what TV was). I had TV installed on all the computers for my family business so they could check stuff across stores and so I could remote in to do fixes and maintenance since I live in another state. None of the employees noticed any Tv screens when they came into work the next morning thankfully and my father checked all our bank accounts and they looked fine. Could have been bad for sure, though.

Tuconots
    Yeah I use this too, but my pws for teamviewer and my computer list(tv account) are different (figured incase this happened) than my usual pws.. havent seen any unusual charges, was home friday.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Koushirou View Post
    Luckily my BF found this on reddit and just happened to tell me about it (he didn't really know what TV was). I had TV installed on all the computers for my family business so they could check stuff across stores and so I could remote in to do fixes and maintenance since I live in another state. None of the employees noticed any Tv screens when they came into work the next morning thankfully and my father checked all our bank accounts and they looked fine. Could have been bad for sure, though.
    wait.. are you a girl?

Tuconots
    wait.. are you a girl?
    dont be so gender binary you fucking shitlord. check your privilege.

Tuconots
    on the plus side, chrome remote works nice.

Tuconots
    I prefer Splashtop myself

Tuconots
    Been using LogmeIn for a couple years now. They got rid of their free options a while back, but I just paid the $100 for a year, as it's great. Then again, if you were trying to do Tech support on your entire family, it'd get pricey, but I only had 2 computers to use it on.

Tuconots
    If you are looking for a free solution out there look into Guacamole. It takes some effort to get up and running but you can be a troubleshooting fool when done.
    oderint dum metuant

Tuconots
    I've never trusted TV/VNC apps, I always use remote desktop.
    Noodleface#1412 - <Rerolled> US-Hyjal Horde - Noodleface

Follow me on Twitch! - Streaming Rerolled minivan dad raids Friday nights 9PM EST and Saturday mornings 11AM EST!

Tuconots
    This is why I SSH everywhere. 80 character width is all you need.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathwing View Post
    This is why people need a password vault. I think we've discussed the typical setup in a different sub forum, but it might be worth repeating here. Once you do the initial setup and change all your passwords, it's really not that much less inconvenient than storing your passwords in a web browser.
    Which do you recommend? Been meaning to set one up for years. It's actually shocking that I've never been hacked, as my password game is incredibly week. I basically use the same couple passwords on damn near everything.

Tuconots
    last pass is not bad.

Tuconots
    I use KeePass and keep a copy of the file in my dropbox. It's free and works well enough that I don't bother looking for a simpler solution.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Eomer View Post
    Which do you recommend? Been meaning to set one up for years. It's actually shocking that I've never been hacked, as my password game is incredibly week. I basically use the same couple passwords on damn near everything.
    I use KeePass. I think password vaults have been discussed in the tech subforum but should probably repeat this elsewhere.

Like Denamiam, I store my vault on a cloud drive. Yes, someone could hack your Dropbox or Google Drive or whatever and get your passwords but there's a few things you can do to make this almost impossible even if they get your vault.

Make the password to your vault really long. Like the intro paragraph to Star Wars. Something easier to remember than pUm4&screw!driver and harder for someone to brute force. Yes, you have to remember ANOTHER password but now you can forget all the passwords to websites and such. Use the password vault to generate really long random passwords then use it to logon to websites for you.

Force the password to your vault to go through X amount of transforms before allowing entry. This is essentially a delay on how often someone can enter a password and it's what makes brute forcing your vault almost impossible. It's measured in the equivalent cpu cycles for your computer would equal X seconds.

Use a key file. This is essentially a second password that's cryptographically stronger than any password you could remember. Store it on a usb drive somewhere then lock it up. Only manually put the key file on devices you want to use your vault.

If you want details on how to set all these up, I can look into it more. It's my setup, so I know it's all possible. It sounds like a lot, but really it's only inconvenience is that you have to open KeePass, wait ~5 seconds, then you can it automatically go to a website and enter your username and password. It's worth it for making 32 character unique passwords for all your websites.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Denamian View Post
    I use KeePass and keep a copy of the file in my dropbox. It's free and works well enough that I don't bother looking for a simpler solution.
    That's exactly what I do. With Dropbox on my phone as well, I always have access to my passwords if I need it.

Tuconots
    anything wrong w/ just using lastpass (premium so it works on mobile too)?

Tuconots
    I don't have much experience with lastpass, but from a security standpoint, it looks pretty similar to keepass. I don't know how the synchronization is done, there could be a security flaw there, but probably only if it's done through some centralized lastpass servers.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by lanx View Post
    anything wrong w/ just using lastpass (premium so it works on mobile too)?
    That is what I use. Love it

Tuconots
    I use lastpass w/premium and it's great.
    PSN: Araxen, Xbox Live: Araxen II, WiiU: Araxen, Steam: Araxen

Tuconots
    For any of you cheapo's you can get 6months free lastpass w/ a .edu email
    LastPass - LastPass <3's Students

Tuconots
    I think I have a TV account, but don't use it. Just got an email about an account login confirmation. It's all in Chinese and the sign in is from Beijing. Since I don't use it and it's not running on my computer, I should be ok, right?

Tuconots

Tuconots
    Thanks for the heads up on this. I uninstalled TV on all my machines.

Thread Information