Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pets.

Tuconots

Pets.

So Baku's belly is a little larger than normal and he's limping a bit, so I took him to the vet today.

Turns out he has a fairly large tumor in his chest area that must have ruptured, and it's filling his belly with blood. Not his stomach, mind you. This is an under the skin thing. The doctor told us that this is unfortunately, not terribly uncommon with the breed, and he should have surgery in the next few hours because it's very likely to be cancerous.

My mom's husband put his dog down on Tuesday, so we called him to ask for his advice. His dog had a bout with cancer about 7 months ago, and he paid the $6,000 for the surgery. The moment his dogs wounds were fully healed, SURPRISE! Cancer's back with a vengeance. He was dying fast, so to stop the pain, he was put down.

He said if he had to do it all over again, he never would have had the surgery in the first place. He would have much rather his dog been happy the whole time, than in lots of pain from being cut open. Well, this is the decision we're making also.

Baku's blood pressure is high, which is way better than being low. We're going to treat him like a king until he shows an increase of pain. Right now, his pain appears to be just discomfort (similar to a sore tooth), as opposed to something more severe. As soon as he shows an advancement, we're going to put him down.

Holy shit, what a really shitty day. We also decided to explain to my daughter what death means. There has been plenty of crying throughout my wife, daughter and myself today. What an emotionally exhausting day.

Tuconots
    Thats sucks bad but im with you. My wife and i already talked about that situation for our 10 year old lab. So much money to really fuck up their qol in a lot of cases. Treat em good and be happy knowing u gave em a nice life.

Tuconots
    What sucks even more is Baku isn't quite 7 yet. We're not sure he's going to even make it to his birthday, on July 20th.

Really depressing. I was really looking forward to how he experiences all the new sights and smells when we move to Hawaii. That is now officially off the table. He'll be in Pennsylvania until he's gone =(

Fuck...

Tuconots
    Serious question here, not stirring anything.

You said the surgery for his dog was 6k but do you know for sure that's what it will cost you?

The only other comment is different dogs respond to things differently.

Obviously it's terrible either way. A couple years ago I had to put down my dog of 13 years and its still the worst day of my life. Whatever you end up doing, just show Baku a lot of love.
    Noodleface#1412 - <Rerolled> US-Hyjal Horde - Noodleface

Follow me on Twitch! - Streaming Rerolled minivan dad raids Friday nights 9PM EST and Saturday mornings 11AM EST!

Tuconots
    I know those feels. 5 years ago I paid $500 for teeth cleaning+removal of half her teeth only to have her die that night in her sleep.

Tuconots
    The vet said that the surgery was going to be either 4k or 6k, depending on where the tumor was that was causing the bleeding. If it's the spleen, they would remove it (the spleen) for around $4k. If it's the Liver (they remove a section of it), it's a little big worse of an operation, and will cost around $6k. And regardless of which organ it is, it wouldn't solve the problem. It's only doing a bandaid on the much worse problem of cancer. She would then recommend doing Chemo, but then his quality of life would plummet. I don't want to do that.

Tuconots
    Losing a pet is never easy. My Border Collie is 8 but he's had so many issues in his life (he was a puppy mill dog) that if he makes it to 12 that'll be great. I've spent a lot of money as well as unfortunately there comes a point where you got to ask if prolonging their life (by surgery or anything else) is really what's good for the dog going forward. I hate to say it but money does become a factor which sucks because it would never be a factor if it was a human (your child). It's going to suck a lot when mine finally goes.

Tuconots
    My girl is 11 and slowing down. It sucks, but stuff you have to deal with if you're going to have pets. She is my first dog. It'll be a rough one when that day comes.

She's had one cancer scare already and had her spleen removed. Cost along the lines of what you're expecting. It ended up being worth it as it wasn't cancer, but definitely took a lot out of her. As an older dog I wouldn't want to put her through that again.

Tuconots
    I'm sorry for you. It ain't easy.

Tuconots
    He passed today. We're pretty devastated, but I'm kind of glad that it happened so quickly as opposed to dragging its feet through the mud and making my dog suffer.

That was definitely difficult.

Tuconots
    Wow that was fast. Sorry for your loss, it's never easy losing a member of the family, be they people or animal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodleface View Post
    tbh i'd suck a penis

Tuconots
    Damn, sorry man.

Follow me on Twitch! - Streaming Rerolled minivan dad raids Friday nights 9PM EST and Saturday mornings 11AM EST!

Tuconots
    Sorry. I was going to suggest to shop around. I had a cat get caught in a tree about 10 years ago that tore his ACL or MCL and the first vet wanted $4k to fix it. I went to another vet and they said they had never done it but would try and charged $400. I really didn't want to spend $4k on a cat. They did it and the cat healed up walked fine and live another 8 years.

Tuconots
    Fucking sucks mang.

CSB time:

My wife and I "adopted" the family cat a few years back; we were probably the third or fourth owners of this particular cat. He was a semi-feral Maine Coone that initially had issues with men and socialization issues. To begin with I hated that SOB. Needless to say, we kept him around and essentially tamed him over the course of 6-7 years. He was certainly a one-woman cat; he fucking LOVED my wife--she was his human 100%. One day he started showing signs of weakness--he couldn't move well, wouldn't eat, would pee and couldn't move from the puddle. So I, as the "man" of the house, get to take him to the vet to check him out. The vet essentially says "no fucking clue bro" and we decide to put him down. Cue my waterworks. I don't recall crying that hard in a good long while.

In short pets suck....and are fucking awesome while you have them.

Tuconots
    Yea sorry dude, hopefully it was relatively painless. I lost my dog just like how your mom's husband did. He was 12 and had mouth cancer, removed a good chunk of his upper lip, but relatively cancer free for half a year. Then all of a sudden his face ballooned up like 2x his size, found out cancer came back like scorned bitched. Doc could his surgery if i wanted, but he'd have no quality of life, so we put him down the next day, doc said the sooner, the better for the dog, and as the hours grew, i understood why he said that. He seemed to have aged years in just those few hours, i mean i was able to give him a nice rib eye wrapped in bacon, and that's about all i was able to do for him.

But i am glad he didn't suffer for weeks or months just prolonging his pain.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by orcmauler View Post
    Fucking sucks mang.

CSB time:

My wife and I "adopted" the family cat ...One day he started showing signs of weakness--he couldn't move well, wouldn't eat, would pee and couldn't move from the puddle. So I, as the "man" of the house, get to take him to the vet to check him out. The vet essentially says "no fucking clue bro" and we decide to put him down. Cue my waterworks. I don't recall crying that hard in a good long while.

In short pets suck....and are fucking awesome while you have them.
    Sorry to hear it =/

Dunno if this was the case (vet probably would have recognized it), but otherwise healthy cats can throw clots in their aortas or leg arteries that aren't immediately fatal, but it wipe our their lower bodies and they can't recover. It's horrible.

Tuconots
    I'm sorry for your loss.

I just lost my almost 14-year-old cat on April 1st, and it was the first real pet I ever lost. He was a huge cat (30 lbs), so I was expecting it to an extent, but you still can't prepare yourself. I'm relieved that he seemed to just go in his sleep in his favorite spot on my bed though, because I don't know that I could have handled watching him slowly fade away, spending anything I could to keep him alive, and then maybe still having to put him down in the end. That would probably wreck me, seeing how bad this was.

I still have another cat, and I took the plunge and got another one a couple of weeks ago, and while I still miss Rocky, getting a new companion when you're ready is definitely the best cure for the heartache. Good luck man.

Tuconots
    They can be little furry family members. When my first pug, Uggie (Oogie), had pancreatic cancer, numerous cysts, and projected bill/chemo over 20k or so with a dour prognosis, despite regular vet visits, I thought I was done with animals. 2-3 hours of hysterical crying and 8 years later I now have Buzz and intend to stagger my pugs from here on out. They'll never last forever, but you can reflect on or enjoy the time you had with them. My largest regret with my first pug was not taking enough pictures. My largest regret with Buzz is not having a go-pro with me at all times to capture the adorable moments.
    Last edited by Binkles; 05-03-2016 at 07:45 PM.

Tuconots
    We actually put Baku down. They have these vets that will actually come to your house and do the euthanasia procedure where you and the pet are most comfortable. My wife decided that she would like the ashes back, just because she could sprinkle some of them in our yard, then take the rest to Hawaii when we move. At least he kind of made the trip. The at home vet made this little foot print thing that's in a plastic case. My daughter loves it and carries it all over the place. That surprised me because she's never been very affectionate with Baku. In fact, the only time she ever hugged him was when we asked her to. Then a really touching moment was after the vet gave him his first heavy sedative, that knocks him out, she went over and kissed his forehead. Oh man did the tears pour out watching that. It was very sweet, and I was happy she did that (on her own, no coaxing from us). Then when they gave him the final injection that actually ended his life, she walked over and handed him a rawhide chew thing so he could take it with him. We explained earlier in the day that he would be dead and his body was going away, but she thought he would want a gift anyway.

Ok, now I'm tearing up again after typing that.

Tuconots
    That is rather sweet. I had to go to a vet we had never gone to before, because the other one was on vacation, to hear the bad news, which also raised suspicion about the care of my pug baby under the other vet. But the new vet was very thorough and empirical. It was a terrible first meeting.

Make America's Team great again Hoss's Avatar
    Tuconots
    I'm sorry man. I know the feeling too. Mine was a 14 year old shepherd in kidney failure. Doctor said there was a procedure they could do, but all it would do is give her a few months and he didn't actually know of any dogs as old as mine surviving it.

I don't think I could have handled an at home thing like that. I preferred saying good bye to her while she was still alive and then just leaving.
    #TrumpLovesPecker
    #HillaryDidNothingWrong

Tuconots
    I'm sorry to hear about the news of your pet. Losing a pet is just so awful.

--On another note, I keep seeing people losing their animals to ruptured splenic hemangiomas. I would definitely talk to your vet about potentially prophylactically getting their spleen removed.

Tuconots
    What exactly is a hemangioma? My son has a strawberry hemangioma on the top of his head, and after getting it scanned we were told it is harmless. But there is no explanation why it is there.

Tuconots
    The causes are pretty idiopathic but most are benign types of tumors that are self-limiting (disappear over time). When they grow in such a highly vascularized organ such as the spleen, they can randomly rupture which is more often than not, fatal. I have personally never seen a splenic hemangioma on a person (though I am sure they exist), it's just that seem to be more common on animals.

Tuconots
    Visited the vet last week with my cat for his yearly shots and general check-up, he is 14 and has been losing weight recently. Results of the blood tests came back indicating early stages of renal failure. The vet recommended switching to a special diet and to come back for a follow-up after a couple months. But even in the best case scenario, the new diet can only stall the damage to his kidneys for a year or two max; according to the vet nothing can be done to fix them.

I'm not ready to say goodbye to the furry bastard yet.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuriin View Post
    The causes are pretty idiopathic but most are benign types of tumors that are self-limiting (disappear over time). When they grow in such a highly vascularized organ such as the spleen, they can randomly rupture which is more often than not, fatal. I have personally never seen a splenic hemangioma on a person (though I am sure they exist), it's just that seem to be more common on animals.
    Thanks. Our doc said it will disappear before he's 6, but it was in a weird spot on his head she hadn't seen before (over the soft spot) so we had to get him scanned to make sure it wasn't growing inside too. Mini couple hours worth of heart attacks there.

Tuconots
    I like how a pet thread became a kid thread within the first page. Out of curiosity, did the parenting thread become a pet thread on the first page too?

No judgement, i understand.
    #TrumpLovesPecker
    #HillaryDidNothingWrong

Tuconots
    Was just asking a question bud, cool your pants

Tuconots
    Calm yore tits. I was just making an observation.
    #TrumpLovesPecker
    #HillaryDidNothingWrong

Tuconots
    Been scarred for life with the death of a pet; won't willingly put myself through that again. Australian/Border Collie mix with a bit of a hard history. Was the runt of his litter, subsequently abandoned along with the rest of the litter and put into a shelter with them. Literally last in line for food the entire week he was there (could totally have been worse) and was bedraggled as shit really. My mom (I was 13) purchased him because he looked so pathetic, and he was then part of the family. In his first week with us, he tore my favorite book to pieces, chewed a chunk out of my hair (I had long ass hair, it was draped over a couch and he chewed on it while I was sleeping and apparently I didn't wake up) and crapped on my new Airwalks. Loathed that dog for the first year he was with us, even if after he started eating normally he looked like a furry pot bellied pig when you picked him up, legs kicking and what not. Had a rough loss at a regional competition for wrestling, and the dog was there. And continued to be there until I was 18 and moved out, though I visited like, daily to hang out with him.

Random passerby tossed him a piece of meat laced with speed for I have absolutely no idea of a reason in 2000. Came over to see him and he was freaking out, jittering and couldn't stop; mom was bawling. Took him to the vet, held him the entire time, they had to filter his blood and he wouldn't go with them unless I was there. Sat through the process and he looked absolutely hurt as you can imagine because I was the one keeping him there for it. Took him home and he had this uncontrollable shake whenever he was slightly excited from then on. I couldn't sit down in the house without him immediately trying to jump on my lap to doze after that, even years later. Was over there almost daily until I moved 300m away in 2007.

Then in 2008, while visiting from across state, I find out he broke his hip. And apparently went blind in one eye. And nobody thought to mention it to me. So I take him to the vet again and he tells me that he should recover sort of, but he's old. I hang out for a weekend with him and then head back home. Come back a month later and didn't see him in the yard. Mom walks up and says they had to put him down, because he tried to jump up on the couch and messed up his spine. She mentioned this while I was walking through the backyard looking for him, and pointed me towards the tree they buried him under.

Yeah, no more pets.
    Last edited by Rezz; 05-05-2016 at 09:57 PM.

Tuconots
    Man what kind of Shithead laces food and gives it to animals. I am not above killing a human.

Tuconots
    I've put down at least 7 cats over the past 3 decades. Still hasn't stopped me from getting another one immediately.

Maybe I'm a sociopath? But I tear up reading these kinds of threads. Not sure anymore.

Tuconots
    People have regularly laced 'dog treats' with poison in San Francisco. Many, many animals have died because of it. Fucking shitty people.

Tuconots
    Most likely someone who thought the dog was shitting in his yard. Because shitting in the POA Yard of the Month deserves a death sentence.
    #TrumpLovesPecker
    #HillaryDidNothingWrong

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
    Most likely someone who thought the dog was shitting in his yard. Because shitting in the POA Yard of the Month deserves a death sentence.

The 'treats' were left all over San Francisco. That includes dog parks.

Iannis didn't do anything ZyyzYzzy's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Why do gays hate animals?

Tuconots
    We have people in our neighborhood that put up signs on their lawns that say "don't let your dog poop on my lawn", so we do anyways because the city owns the first few feet anyways.

I could totally see some of those scumbags doing this.

Tuconots
    I was speaking more to rez's situation. If I understood why gays do things I wouldn't have so many questions in the ask a gay man thread.

Seriously though, makes me wonder if San Fran has a feral dog problem that someone thought they were helping. It was probably bob barker himself trying to chemically spay them.
    #TrumpLovesPecker
    #HillaryDidNothingWrong

Tuconots
    We have people in our neighborhood that put up signs on their lawns that say "don't let your dog poop on my lawn", so we do anyways because the city owns the first few feet anyways.

I could totally see some of those scumbags doing this.
    Do you not pick up your dogs poop after it goes?

Tuconots
    I do

Tuconots
    Dog in question was in a fenced 3/4 acre, never out at about. There was an easement alongside the property that the city used to deal with some power-line issues occasionally (Seriously, Redding CA is/was a complete shit-hole) that people liked to walk through. He would bark at people occasionally if they made a ton of noise or something as they walked down the easement, but that was about it. We found part of the meat, as it was a big ass chunk of roast that the dog couldn't handle in one go, and had it tested while he and I were at the vet in order to figure out wtf happened. Somebody really didn't liked getting barked at occasionally, I guess. Can't really fathom why people do insanely evil shit, but apparently barking was this individual's specific trigger to be an evil shit.

Tuconots
    Not really on topic but I thought some people might like to see what one of my horses managed to do to herself while in the trailer this afternoon. (spoilered for yuckiness)

Spoiler: 

Tuconots
    Must have a splitting headache

Tuconots
    Off topic but I just read those pieces of shit from the UK that tortured that Bulldog got their ass beat in retaliation.

That is the saddest video I've watched in a long time. I couldn't even get through it made me so mad.
    Last edited by Column; 05-08-2016 at 04:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by suineg View Post
    That is how First Blood was drawn though. Do we want John Rambo roaming through the forest of our forums killing the police?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Column View Post
    Off topic but I just read those pieces of shit from the UK that tortured that Bulldog got their ass beat in retaliation.

That is the saddest video I've watched in a long time. I couldn't even get through it made me so mad.
    White ppl, wtf is wrong with yous! dear lord this is a horrible video, if you guys were curious like me, i'll provide the link, but be warned, this shit will tear your soul.
    Video: Brothers filmed abusing pet bulldog put on suspended prison sentence - Telegraph

Tuconots
    My dog woke us up this morning with weird grunting noises. She'd stuffed herself in the corner and was obviously uncomfortable, with a distended and hard belly. Vet, xrays determined bloated stomach that had inverted inside her abdomen. She's in emergency surgery now. =(

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by lanx View Post
    White ppl, wtf is wrong with yous! dear lord this is a horrible video, if you guys were curious like me, i'll provide the link, but be warned, this shit will tear your soul.
    Video: Brothers filmed abusing pet bulldog put on suspended prison sentence - Telegraph
    Dunno why you think that's just white people. We all have scumbags who'll do shit like that. Maybe white people are more likely to record it, but I'm not sure that's true.
    #TrumpLovesPecker
    #HillaryDidNothingWrong

Tuconots
    Dunno why you think that's just white people. We all have scumbags who'll do shit like that. Maybe white people are more likely to record it, but I'm not sure that's true.
    Quote Originally Posted by suineg View Post
    That is how First Blood was drawn though. Do we want John Rambo roaming through the forest of our forums killing the police?

Tuconots
    Holy crap this thread is sad.
    Someone put some happy pet news in here please.

Tuconots
    Nymeria just turned 4 and she's pretty awesome. She's scared shit less of the baby but at least she doesn't bite his face. I guess that is good news.

Tuconots
    Nymeria just turned 4 and she's pretty awesome. She's scared shit less of the baby but at least she doesn't bite his face. I guess that is good news.
    I'll take it.

Registered User Frenzied Wombat's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by lanx View Post
    Holy fuck that makes me rage. Those two brothers should be fucking serving prison time, and if I would be given amnesty I'd be happy to fucking break every bone in their body. I have a bulldog and they're the sweetest breed on the planet. Fucking sad, these are the losers we should be sending on suicide missions to fight ISIS.
    Last edited by Frenzied Wombat; 05-09-2016 at 11:23 PM.

Tuconots
    Update: My dog didn't make it - went into cardiac arrest after the surgery. Life is bullshit sometimes.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Suave View Post
    Update: My dog didn't make it - went into cardiac arrest after the surgery. Life is bullshit sometimes.
    yes, it is.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Gravy View Post
    I'll take it.
    Sadly after this post we were upstairs playing and he got close to get face and she did a warning lunge at him. She's in timeout but I'm sort of at a loss here. Last thing I want to do is have to give up my dog, but clearly I would do it in a heartbeat for my son. Not a good situation tonight.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Gravy View Post
    Holy crap this thread is sad.
    Someone put some happy pet news in here please.
    Ummm, I have a Greater Pyrenees. She's a 100 lb puppy. I think she turned 1 in december, so 1.5 yrs old and she just tipped 100 lbs. Her whole body is pretty much a kicky spot too. We just need to teach her to stop barking so much at 3 am.

Sadly after this post we were upstairs playing and he got close to get face and she did a warning lunge at him. She's in timeout but I'm sort of at a loss here. Last thing I want to do is have to give up my dog, but clearly I would do it in a heartbeat for my son. Not a good situation tonight.
    It's how you raise them?
    #TrumpLovesPecker
    #HillaryDidNothingWrong

Iannis didn't do anything ZyyzYzzy's Avatar
    Tuconots
    I think my dog, who is a mutt (though definitely at least jack russell ) is retarded. Moved into a new townhome that has a second story deck. My brilliant dog crawled under the banisters and proceeded to fall off. She seems fine, though my wife is super worried and is taking her to the vet just in case. Before the fall she got her head stuck between two banisters.

Tuconots
    Well, we went out to dinner Friday night, wasn't gone very long and when we got back the living room was tore up. Most notably my window sill had teethmarks all over it and some of the wood was broken off. He's gone crazy before but that's when he's had to go (loose) and was trying to get out and eventually poops on the floor. Not this time, it was totally random (we think he may have heard thunder and got really scared but normally he just goes to hide, not try to tear the house apart). Anyway, on Sunday I noticed he had broken his upper canine (he was already missing the one on the left side when we got him). Root exposed and everything. Now it looks like I'm in the hole for about 800-1000 to have it removed. I can't tell you how much money I've already spent on him. I feel bad for him though, it's not his fault. It is frustrating, dogs can be such a money pit sometimes and that's not even going into repairing the window.

Tuconots
    Ummm, I have a Greater Pyrenees. She's a 100 lb puppy. I think she turned 1 in december, so 1.5 yrs old and she just tipped 100 lbs. Her whole body is pretty much a kicky spot too. We just need to teach her to stop barking so much at 3 am.

It's how you raise them?
    We've done about as much correcting on that sort behavior as one could reasonably imagine.

We believe it stems from when we rescued her. She is a very skittish and scared dog too. She's never bit anyone, I think it was just a warning. I berated her for a bit in hopes that she got the message.

I feel like we are good dog owners. When we got her we even took her to 2 dog training/obedience courses.

Tuconots
    In the spirit of more happy stories for Mrs G (which means no more stories of when the pets died) I can't remember if I've told you guys about my basenji before. I had him for 10+ years before I even knew what he was. Kept asking everytime I went to a vet and they never knew, but one time one of the assistants recognized the breed. I looked it up when I got home and sure enough it described my dog perfectly. Two of the things I remember reading that I wished I'd known 10 years earlier. 1. You don't train Basenji's, you have to convince them that they want to do what you want. 2. Chain link fences are just ladders to freedom. So here's 2 stories about My basenji Q-tip.

I used to let him and my shepherd out to run the property in the evening when I got home. But if it was dark out, I didn't let them out. Got to where I was working late in the winter and wasn't able to let them out quite often. Q-tip thought this was bullshit, so he started shitting in the house. I'd punish him and make him sleep outside (in the fenced in part of the yard) and he'd shit in the house when I let him in to feed him in the morning. Eventually I realized he was only shitting in the house when I didn't let them run the property. He was doing it to punish me. When I'd find it, he wouldn't even slink away, he stood there over the pile of shit defiantly.

After my shepherd passed and Q-tip was an only dog, he started escaping. I didn't even know he was escaping for a long time because he was back home before me. I think while the shepherd was alive he didn't escape unless she came too. He got caught by animal control once and when I went to get him from the hoosegow the animal control officers told me all the stories of the months and months that they'd been chasing him and couldn't even figure out where he lived. After that they were calling me when they saw him out and told me how he leapt through the fence at a dead run (since they now knew where he lived, they could head him off at the pass). Up until then we couldn't figure out how he was getting out. I had range fencing around my back yard. For those who don't know, that's the wire fence made up of squares that get larger as you go higher. Well, the little fucker realized he could climb and squeeze through the squares about 3 or 4 rows up. That was when I remembered how he'd been barely touching his food and losing a lot of weight. The sumbitch put himself on a diet so he could squeeze through lower.
    #TrumpLovesPecker
    #HillaryDidNothingWrong

Tuconots
    In the spirit of more happy stories for Mrs G...
    YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
    I love me some doggies; I have one sitting at my feet right now. He, Nubbins/Nubs, AKA Mr. Rotten, brought me his lion squirrel and his girl squirrel (the stuffing free toys, we - I mean I (sad face) call all of them squirrel). I think he wants to play.

Thanks Hoss.

Tuconots
    Here's happy for the time. 6 years ago, here we were celebrating Baku's 1st birthday.

Here's a playlist of a bunch of videos we took of him.
    Baku the 8 week old Pitbull Puppy. - YouTube

Tuconots
    I had a cat that hated everyone but my wife and I. He attacked everyone and we had to lock him in a room or the garage when guests came over. He bloodied the first guy, my brother, pretty good before we figured out he couldn't be around other folks. It was impressive to watch in a cat/prey sort of way, but not a happy situation.

Anyway, he charged my wife who was holding my newborn daughter the day after my daughter was born. By chance, I had heard an animal behaviorist on talk radio a few days before and remembered his name (he was sorta local) and I gave him a call. He layed out a strategy of things to do that we followed and soon we were one happy family again. I have pictures of that cat sleeping with my baby. He protected her like he protected my wife and I but we still had to lock him up for guests. She was safe.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is don't give up on your pet. They can be trained and their behavior can be changed. Call around for an expert. Try things before you give up.
    Last edited by lurker; 05-11-2016 at 02:50 AM.

Tuconots
    While reading this thread I cried, then I laughed. And then, I felt like shit for losing my pets in my divorce. Sorry for everyone who lost a friend. It hurts, but you're lucky to have had the time with them. I hope to get another dog or cat again when I'm not working so much. Something to look forward to; a new buddy.

Tuconots
    We've done about as much correcting on that sort behavior as one could reasonably imagine.

We believe it stems from when we rescued her. She is a very skittish and scared dog too. She's never bit anyone, I think it was just a warning. I berated her for a bit in hopes that she got the message.

I feel like we are good dog owners. When we got her we even took her to 2 dog training/obedience courses.
    Sounds exactly like my dog was. Seems you aren't "pack leader" yet. Despite success in training right after rescuing, my dog did the growl/nip/bite when scared thing for months after. Maybe 6 months in he actually tried to bite my hand for real so I lifted him off the ground and flipped him over on his back and pinned him with both hands - got loud so he knew I was not playing and stared at him making sure he couldn't look away from me. He retreated from me for a few hours after he relented and I let him go, tail between his legs, but he's now a fantastic dog. The worst he will do is whimper when he's scared instead of growling. I was afraid we'd have to put him down (I can't own a dog that I can't trust not to attack people) but he really responded well and even started trusting me more and wants me to play catch with him where before he would run away with toys afraid I would take them. Now he knows I will so he's OK with sharing and playing fetch since it's really "my" toy in his eyes. When he does something bad and I call him out on it instead of hiding, he will slowly walk over with his tail between his leg and I will scold him verbally and he looks away. I just treat him passively for a little while then we go back to normal. He doesn't really have many accidents but I never punish him for reasonable ones (like when he's sick or we were gone for 12 hours) - he will still show deference when I go to clean up the mess but I just pretty much ignore reacting to it otherwise and he is fine right after.
    Last edited by Palum; 05-11-2016 at 05:21 AM.

Tuconots
    Yea, my dog hated other dogs, he just didn't like them, so i really didn't care to socialize him much. He was also racist against black ppl and always barked whenever anyone approached the house, he was great! I had 100% trust in him, even tho he was a rescue, the neighborhoods would just run up to him since he looked like Clifford. I did have this one asian friend that my dog growled at, and my wife and I were utterly shocked, we attributed to the fact that he was the biggest pussy around dogs and he was probably giving off the "HOLY SHIT DON'T EAT MY FACE!!!" vibe.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Palum View Post
    Sounds exactly like my dog was. Seems you aren't "pack leader" yet. Despite success in training right after rescuing, my dog did the growl/nip/bite when scared thing for months after. Maybe 6 months in he actually tried to bite my hand for real so I lifted him off the ground and flipped him over on his back and pinned him with both hands - got loud so he knew I was not playing and stared at him making sure he couldn't look away from me. He retreated from me for a few hours after he relented and I let him go, tail between his legs, but he's now a fantastic dog. The worst he will do is whimper when he's scared instead of growling. I was afraid we'd have to put him down (I can't own a dog that I can't trust not to attack people) but he really responded well and even started trusting me more and wants me to play catch with him where before he would run away with toys afraid I would take them. Now he knows I will so he's OK with sharing and playing fetch since it's really "my" toy in his eyes. When he does something bad and I call him out on it instead of hiding, he will slowly walk over with his tail between his leg and I will scold him verbally and he looks away. I just treat him passively for a little while then we go back to normal. He doesn't really have many accidents but I never punish him for reasonable ones (like when he's sick or we were gone for 12 hours) - he will still show deference when I go to clean up the mess but I just pretty much ignore reacting to it otherwise and he is fine right after.
    My dog is like that too, and definitely sees me as the alpha. When I raise my voice the tail goes between the leg and she either hides behind my wife, goes to a corner, hides under a table, or slowly waddles towards me with her ears back scared shitless. Unfortunately, she's always been a bit fucked up since we rescued her. I don't know how much it has to do with it, but she was taken from her home and placed in quarantine due to a parvo scare, and I think it messed her up pretty good. She doesn't trust new people unless we have them give her a treat first. We tried to have my son give her a treat but he kept trying to eat it.

She also pulled this shit with my brother's wife.

Also obviously I would spend time working with her before getting rid of her, that's pretty much worst case scenario and only gonna happen if she actually bites him. It will be the worst day of my life.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarpolis View Post
    Here's happy for the time. 6 years ago, here we were celebrating Baku's 1st birthday.

Here's a playlist of a bunch of videos we took of him.
    Baku the 8 week old Pitbull Puppy. - YouTube
    1. This was ridiculous. No judgement, but a birfday meal for a dog is ridiculous.
    2. Yo girl looks pretty good. You still with her? If not, can we see the nudes?
    3. Why were you sticking the chop stick in his face? Is that something you always did?
    #TrumpLovesPecker
    #HillaryDidNothingWrong

Tuconots
    The answers in my head and now on your screens to the above points:
    Any excuse for a party is a good one. (Rest in peace Baku)
    I believe the attractive woman referenced is now his wife.
    I think she was assisting the dog to be able to reach/get all of the food with the chopstick as it doesn't appear that Baku had opposable thumbs to be able to use the chopsticks himself.
    Last edited by Mrs. Gravy; 05-11-2016 at 09:40 PM.

Tuconots
    Mrs. Gravy answered all questions correctly. We've been married for 8 years now. We were married before even taking the first video of Baku.

Registered User Frenzied Wombat's Avatar
    Tuconots
    1. This was ridiculous. No judgement, but a birfday meal for a dog is ridiculous.
    My bully on his 2nd birthday

IMG_1148.JPG

Tuconots
    There are apparently more ridiculous people posting here than I realized.
    #TrumpLovesPecker
    #HillaryDidNothingWrong

Tuconots
    There are apparently more ridiculous people posting here than I realized.
    You frequent the politics thread and are just now figuring this out?

Tuconots
    We give our dog a birthday meal but usually it's just boiled chicken breast and rice. After having a birthday meal she usually refuses to eat for 3 days because she realizes she hates brown pebbles.

Tuconots
    My mother in law does that every day for her dogs. I mean, it's not always chicken and rice, but she cooks for them every day. When she goes out of town, she will have a freezer full of premade meals for the dog sitter. Chicken and rice, beef and peas ... heck there's at least one more but I can't remember it. She tells the dogsitter they can have some of it only if she made extra.

I love my mother in law.
    #TrumpLovesPecker
    #HillaryDidNothingWrong

Tuconots
    My mother in law does that every day for her dogs. I mean, it's not always chicken and rice, but she cooks for them every day. When she goes out of town, she will have a freezer full of premade meals for the dog sitter. Chicken and rice, beef and peas ... heck there's at least one more but I can't remember it. She tells the dogsitter they can have some of it only if she made extra.

I love my mother in law.
    My in-laws are Chinese. I do not understand their approach to food. When they cook poultry they will gleefully eat the wing tips, face, spine, feet, and kneecaps and then cut out the breast meat untouched and feed it to the dog. Dogs love them, but wtf.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Suave View Post
    My in-laws are Chinese. I do not understand their approach to food. When they cook poultry they will gleefully eat the wing tips, face, spine, feet, and kneecaps and then cut out the breast meat untouched and feed it to the dog. Dogs love them, but wtf.
    I am yellow, i will tell you why. breast meat sucks. There is ZERO flavor out of it, most every asian recipe will call for chicken thighs/drumsticks, cuz that's where all the flavor is. Also if you don't know what the yummy chicken oyster is... well thata's just deliciousness.

Chicken breast is only "a thing" in america cuz ppl want to "eat healthy", so that's why the focus is on the boobs, and why we think it's precious. Asians don't, genetically unless you're a fat hawaiin or training to be a sumo, our genes keeps us relatively thin so we only eat the delicious chicken stuff, the thighs.

Tuconots
    Baku's ashes were delivered yesterday. We scattered most of them around the giant common area outside of our house where he loved to run and play. But we're taking a few with us to Hawaii so at least he makes it out there in some form.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarpolis View Post
    Baku's ashes were delivered yesterday. We scattered most of them around the giant common area outside of our house where he loved to run and play. But we're taking a few with us to Hawaii so at least he makes it out there in some form.
    Do japanese have any voodoo about ashes? when i went to spread my dogs ashes in my childhood home backyard, moms said i had to walk around the house thru the backyard, basically i couldn't bring the ashes inside the house.

Tuconots
    Was that voodoo or is she just one of those people who refuse to let a dog in the house?
    #TrumpLovesPecker
    #HillaryDidNothingWrong

Tuconots
    There was no voodoo involved. We literally just cut a hole into the bag they came in. Then walked around with a continuous stream of ashes following us. After we were done, we both said that he was a really good boy, then we came back inside.

Regarding Ianx having to go through a different door, it was probably a cleanliness thing. Or more a "yuck" thing. People have difficulty with death, pet or otherwise. She probably didn't want your dead dog's ashes as debris inside the house while she's walking around in her bare feet.

Tuconots
    Was that voodoo or is she just one of those people who refuse to let a dog in the house?
    It's chinese voodoo not to let ashes (of any kind) into the "home", she loved my dog, ashes either get buried or goto a shrine, i think moms told me it was something about inviting death.

Tuconots
    I just realized this morning my two cats, Ayako and Kikyo, are 13 and 11. I had a beagle growing up and never thought I'd be a cat person since I'm allergic, but damnit if I don't love those two little shits. They're both healthy, in prime weight, and play like kittens so I tend to forget how old they are getting. Was just kind of a shock when we did the math.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakain View Post
    I just realized this morning my two cats, Ayako and Kikyo, are 13 and 11. I had a beagle growing up and never thought I'd be a cat person since I'm allergic, but damnit if I don't love those two little shits. They're both healthy, in prime weight, and play like kittens so I tend to forget how old they are getting. Was just kind of a shock when we did the math.
    Nice. I have one who I only realized recently turned 18. Been around over half my life now. She is still active, just tires easier and had a harder time jumping.

Tuconots
    Spent the night at animal hospital for my eight year old dauschund finding out he has CHF. My previous dog died in her sleep at 14 and was always healthy. I dread to make these decisions when emotionally involved. I don't want to watch my dog slowly suffocate to death but putting him down feels like I'm giving up on him. Any advice on how to weigh the decision from those who have been thru this?

Tuconots
    Wow, tough call there, Blazin. You should ask how bad the CHF is (ejection fraction and any fluid build up) and I think that can guide you.

Tuconots
    they showed me the on the xray fluid in his lung but didn't give me a scale, his heart was quite enlarged but they did tell me his murmur was only 2/6 which seemed like good news. The one medicine L something really seemed to help with the breathing getting rid of the fluid he was up to 60 reps min last night, but this morning is much closer to normal but he wouldn't eat or drink. Just in the last 15 mins he perked up and I got him to take medicine and and drink.

My wife is an RN and is so much better suited to this but this her slam weekend of 39hrs of work so kind kind of my own for now. Shocking how fast his health changed has been so healthy. I think I've been spoiled in this regard I know people go through a lot with their pets that are sometime chronically ill. Just hate that feeling of being powerless to fix it, do I try to give him CPR if he stops breathing or do you just let them go?

Tuconots
    They probably put him on Lasix. :\ That's what we give for CHFers. Just realize that proper CPR means you're going to break his ribs.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Blazin View Post
    Spent the night at animal hospital for my eight year old dauschund finding out he has CHF. My previous dog died in her sleep at 14 and was always healthy. I dread to make these decisions when emotionally involved. I don't want to watch my dog slowly suffocate to death but putting him down feels like I'm giving up on him. Any advice on how to weigh the decision from those who have been thru this?
    I only learned last year how much of a fucker that CHF is. Lost a 4 year old cat to it after prolonging his life by two weeks for the low price of only $3000 for the emergency stay when he had an attack. He was miserable the next two weeks he was home. He only was OK whenever he had increased oxygen.

Possibly dizzy and stayed under the bed.(he never did that before when scared) another attack two weeks later and I knew it was time to put him down. I still have a hard time when remembering it. Awesome cat and almost dog like with how social he was.

My heart goes out to you with your dog going through this.

Tuconots
    Blazin, I don't know what CHS is but the questions to ask are along the lines of what the odds are of a recovery, or can it be managed. If there are procedures etc that can be done, ask how long it will prolong his life and finally ask about the quality of life.
    #TrumpLovesPecker
    #HillaryDidNothingWrong

Tuconots
    I don't know why people do such outrageous things with their pets. If they are injured (broke a bone, got bit by a wild animal but survived, whatever) then by all means, fix 'em up. This whole pay thousands of dollars for chronic disease or cancer treatment and stuff, it's just nuts. Spend thousands, animal suffers for a few weeks then croaks. It's just not worth it.

I love my rescue dog but the day the doc is like 'well kidneys are failing needs dialysis' I'm saying goodbye. Maybe it's because I grew up around more animals than most but I don't treat them worse than grandma when she asked to go.

Rape Culture Enthusiast Dr. Mario Speedwagon's Avatar
    Tuconots
    I don't know why people do such outrageous things with their pets. If they are injured (broke a bone, got bit by a wild animal but survived, whatever) then by all means, fix 'em up. This whole pay thousands of dollars for chronic disease or cancer treatment and stuff, it's just nuts. Spend thousands, animal suffers for a few weeks then croaks. It's just not worth it.

I love my rescue dog but the day the doc is like 'well kidneys are failing needs dialysis' I'm saying goodbye. Maybe it's because I grew up around more animals than most but I don't treat them worse than grandma when she asked to go.
    Some people just can't handle emotional decisions. My dad's dog had some issue with its spine, vet told him he could take him to a specialist in another state for surgery and rehab and end up paying around 15k, otherwise he probably had 3-6 months to live. Dad said fuck that and just took the dog home.

That was 2 years ago. Dog is still alive, healthier than ever according to his last check up.

Tuconots

This was my thought for quite a while after. If I had to do it again I wouldn't have paid. The issue was is the ER made it sound like it wasn't chronic, it wasn't going to be long lasting and it was a worth while investment for giving him extra years. Not an "at best" scenario of a few months, let alone a couple of weeks. I'm still kind of butthurt about that because when I think back to that trip with a more clear mind, it was nothing but a sales pitch taking advantage of emotionally distraught people. When in reality, the extension was nothing but money for them and misery for the pet and me. Only thing I will say is it gave me a small bit of extra time to get used to saying goodbye instead of just "well that's that" and getting rid of him.

But the lasix was misery, and I'd sadly suggest to anyone with a pet who has CHF and they have an episode of not being able to breathe, etc. Save them the slow death, don't leave them and watch (had another pet 15-20 years ago die of this, but didnt know until I saw the symptoms again with an actual diagnosis) It was hours of not realizing I was watching them suffocate on fluid. But I was also a teenager and didnt know any better, and it was at midnight.

As far as the decision to try and spend money for saving them, it's very difficult when it's a younger pet that you know hasn't had a chance to live a very long life. I lost a dog last year also but he lived to 14 and it didn't bother me anywhere near as much because it was a good stretch with a good pet. Surgery for his problems would have probably killed him because he already had a very slow heart rate and other chronic, but not fatal problems that just racked up over years with his health.

And to Hoss's question, CHF, at least I assume (for what I went through) is Congestive Heart Failure.
    Last edited by Tarisk; 05-25-2016 at 06:49 AM.

Tuconots
    Oh yeah I forgot another question to ask is what the risks are of treatment. You're right that some vets won't give you the straight scoop and will want to do everything they can even if the best case scenario is prolonging life for weeks and worst case is a 90% chance of the pet dying from the treatment. But, I have found that it's more a matter of leaving information out and not them lying. If you directly ask all the vets I've dealt with will be honest with you. If a vet says something like "How much is fluffy's life worth?", you should probably find a new vet.
    #TrumpLovesPecker
    #HillaryDidNothingWrong

Tuconots
    His breathing has been much better last few days have a follow up appt soon, he is responding well to the meds so I think we have bought him more time and a quality of life level that's worth living.

My main question is going to be is how do I know when to end it prior to it getting really shitty. It's hard to pick a threshold, at this point I'm thinking that if his breathing starts to worsen while still on the meds that will probably have to put him down not going to wait till he is gasping for air as there is really nothing else that can be done.

Tuconots
    Yeah, can't help with that. Someone who is familiar with the progression of the condition will have to help you there. When my dog had kidney failure, the vet was able to tell me everything that was going to happen to her and what it meant. When she got to the point that she couldn't eat because the ulcers in her mouth made it too painful, I decided it was time.
    #TrumpLovesPecker
    #HillaryDidNothingWrong

Tuconots
    The first dog G and I had in our family, Dolby, acquired CHF. The Lasix worked for her for a while. She was a beagle mix from Wayside Waifs in KC. She was the sweetest little thing. Anyway, the Lasix worked for about a year for her, but it stopped, and the vet would remove fluid. She had seizures too but he told us they didn't occur often enough to make phenobarbital worth it. When she couldn't respond to the Lasix any longer and we were having to take her too much, vet told us to take her home as it would only be a day or so, gave us some comfort meds for her and she passed on her favorite pillow. It was sad and awful.
    Last edited by Mrs. Gravy; 05-25-2016 at 11:32 PM. Reason: typo

Tuconots
    It's a shame that vets don't just prescribe Roxanol for pets. Would be better than having to go to the vet office to do the deed. -- Blazin, you have to wonder though that while the Lasix gets rid of the built up fluid in his body and lungs, what happens to his kidneys when you're giving it to him? I feel for ya man. Definitely set a threshold so your pet doesn't suffer.

Tuconots
    Giving up a dog today. He's been with us for almost a year and has never bonded with anyone in the family but me. Actually I think he actively dislikes everyone but me, and hates my other dog. I think he also misses his own breed like crazy (he's a sighthound and spent his first 4 years on a farm with 20+ sighthounds and a ton of running space), so just seems miserable. This isn't the first time I've had to give up a dog before and god it feels shitty. So yup, I get to feel like a giant failure in that realm for awhile.

Tuconots
    My mother adopted a dog that was a few years old after our dog of 13 years died (without consulting anyone, and nearly immediately after) . The dog just was a pain in the ass and didn't like anyone. Even though I was upset I tried to bond with the dude and he was just having none of it. I took him for a walk and it was a battle between him following me and then suddenly growling at me. He would sit in his crate all night depressed. My mom had to give the dog up and it was just crazy because the dude didn't want to bond with anyone.

Thread Information