Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: SimCity

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Cad View Post
    So water doesn't actually run out. You need to put your water pumping station near the water treatment plant; the water treatment plant replenishes the water underneath it. Your pumping station can then pump it out. This water doesn't run out.
    Good to know.

I haven't even attempted to play yet due to the shit show the servers have been. My origin name is Falstaff13 if people want to add me to friends list. I'll try to get hooked up to a region this weekend.

Tuconots
    Speaking of the friends list...has anyone figured out a way to get your Origin friends to show up on the in-game list, yet?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Djay View Post
    Speaking of the friends list...has anyone figured out a way to get your Origin friends to show up on the in-game list, yet?
    Besides waiting several hours? No. I've probably tried just about everything you could.
    Steam: Budos
    PSN: VTBudos

Tuconots
    It works intermittently.

This cloud based shit is working about as well as we expected. Personally it's just a matter of time until you either crash from the game and can't load back into your region or server, or your city becomes corrupted. And this is while using a minimal amount of features (Currently, navigating around your region causes city corruption so I don't do it).

All in all I'm pretty happy with the result and hope this path isn't easily repeated by other companies.
    Want to play the next big MMO with us? check out Black Desert Online

Tuconots
    How long before this game is F2P? Are they contracting servers yet? Oh wait, this isn't an MMO? Seems to have opening day MMO problems. Will these game companies ever smarten up? /sigh

Tuconots
    I logged on this morning to see if I could actually play without crashing...and had no problems. So, my conclusion is that the game will be awesome once enough people quit.

Tuconots
    I logged on this morning to see if I could actually play without crashing...and had no problems. So, my conclusion is that the game will be awesome once enough people quit.
    I think a lot of the problems have been server-specific, I've been bouncing between East and West to play w/ friends who have regions on different servers... as Kotaku is posting their emo 'looks like you won't be playing SimCity on release day' articles pandering to the anti-DRM/anti-EA crowd flocking to them to comment I didn't have any problems hopping on, recovering from my earthquake for 30-40 minutes and logging off.

Tuconots
    Thanks for the invite to the new region, hopefully it is there when I get home from work tonight.

meStevo, you must be incredibly lucky, because around 10 to 11pm PST last night (on US East 1) Agraza and I waited through two 20 min queues and gave up when the third one started, while Hachima was starting his fourth. Friend requests were showing up on Origin but not SimCity (making it so people couldn't send invites to regions if the friend was too new), regions were not loading, etc. You'd think this might be slightly expected after everyone gets off of work in the evening, but not at 2am EST. Looking at the server list at those times, all 4 US servers had 20 min queues, so you couldn't even hop over and play for awhile somewhere else.

Now, I was able to log on without a queue prior to that, but since the friend requests weren't going through the only thing we could try was restarting...which eventually put us into queues. They could have been doing maintenance without telling us perhaps, but their whole setup is not very user-friendly when shit isn't working the way it should.

Consider me rustled!

Tuconots
    Fake refunds is a nice touch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny49 View Post
    also chocolate release the same chemical in the brain that the feeling of love does, so i am training them to love giving me blowjobs
    Draegan's a faggot.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Flight View Post
    They're offering refunds :

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/li...30019.page#top

Or are they :
    Fake refunds is pretty bad, but I can't imagine getting frustrated enough with the shitty server/game support and then go try to deal with EA support to get a refund, lol. One good thing about buying from Amazon is that they've usually been pretty good about giving out refunds. And part of me hopes that amazon doesn't get the shaft when they refund me but rather pass it onto EA.

Either way this game is going exactly like I and I think any reasonable person here expected. Asking for a refund because an online game's release sucks seems weird.

Does it come with waffles Fidlen's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Anyone know if its possible to trade or interact with regions with no road or rail or water access? I assume airport but I dont have one built to test it out yet. Also if its possible could I then sell my garbage/sewage/power etc to those remote regions?

Tuconots
    Are you talking about 16 city regions trading/sharing resources with other 16 city regions? If so, I didn't think so... I didn't think airports effected things like that

Does it come with waffles Fidlen's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyashusa View Post
    Are you talking about 16 city regions trading/sharing resources with other 16 city regions? If so, I didn't think so... I didn't think airports effected things like that
    Yeah 16 city regions but within the same giant map. Some have no road connections so im wondering if there is a way to connect them somehow.

Tuconots
    Show us an example of a region. Most regions with city blocks not connected via road are connected via water or something.

Tuconots
    Sigh I am crashing every 10 minutes now. Was doing fine yesterday but this morning it is just unplayable. Every time it crashes it loses all of my progress. I have tried run as admin, compatibility checking, changing various settings, it just doesn't matter.

Tuconots
    Its just the servers same thing with me

Tuconots
    http://www.reddit.com/r/SimCity/comm...ht_rail_works/

tldr: Don't build intersections for your street cars. build straights paths or snake it around like this:

Also buses seem to group together in ineffective packs:

Tuconots
    That's fucking retarded. Get your shit together EArone.

Tuconots
    Wow. Did they not play their own game?

Tuconots
    It just seems like an example of an ambitious developer team trying to create a novel feature in a game and not being able to make it perfect. Personally I'd prefer if they made the traffic simulation more abstract like it is in previous simcity games, but I can appreciate the attempt to do something new. And frankly it's such a challenging problem that I'm not surprised it doesn't work well.

The most depressing thing about it is that working traffic is so unattractive for expansion/dlc sales and so challenging it's very possible it won't ever be fixed.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
    It just seems like an example of an ambitious developer team trying to create a novel feature in a game and not being able to make it perfect. Personally I'd prefer if they made the traffic simulation more abstract like it is in previous simcity games, but I can appreciate the attempt to do something new. And frankly it's such a challenging problem that I'm not surprised it doesn't work well.

The most depressing thing about it is that working traffic is so unattractive for expansion/dlc sales and so challenging it's very possible it won't ever be fixed.
    Have to play tower defense with roads.

Also for infinite water, stick a h2o pump next to your sewage treatment plant (it pumps water onto the ground) and use only filtered pumps (you can bulldoze the default one that comes with it).

Tuconots
    Another good thing I learned is that the client is able to do most of the city simulation stuff. I'm sure most of the city to city interaction is serverside, but that's much less complex and more easily re-created than bus pathing or RCI demand creation, for example.

That means that it'll be much easier to create a third party simcity server than one for WoW or Diablo3, for example.

Tuconots
    Another good thing I learned is that the client is able to do most of the city simulation stuff. I'm sure most of the city to city interaction is serverside, but that's much less complex and more easily re-created than bus pathing or RCI demand creation, for example.

That means that it'll be much easier to create a third party simcity server than one for WoW or Diablo3, for example.
    And easier to cheat.

Edit: I'm sure people who really want to pirate this game have made headway with launching the game without having to go through Origin.

Tuconots
    Yeah it should be trivial to cheat in this game. Really makes me wonder what the point of those first to 2.5m pop achievement competitions are. I have to imagine it's not a real competition but just a thing-to-do.

Tuconots
    Fake refunds is pretty bad, but I can't imagine getting frustrated enough with the shitty server/game support and then go try to deal with EA support to get a refund, lol. One good thing about buying from Amazon is that they've usually been pretty good about giving out refunds. And part of me hopes that amazon doesn't get the shaft when they refund me but rather pass it onto EA.

Either way this game is going exactly like I and I think any reasonable person here expected. Asking for a refund because an online game's release sucks seems weird.
    I disagree. If the game performs like shit, why should we as the target audience let them report to Wall Street that they sold more copies than were played? The 30-day MBG is expanding into many markets, and I think gaming is one that should be applied to especially if they have server issues.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Bane View Post
    I disagree. If the game performs like shit, why should we as the target audience let them report to Wall Street that they sold more copies than were played? The 30-day MBG is expanding into many markets, and I think gaming is one that should be applied to especially if they have server issues.
    Hey if you want to deal with getting a refund then go ahead. I just feel like anyone surprised by simcity's release must be new to gaming or really confused.

Tuconots
    I just downloaded a patch. I'm hoping Maxis will make some headway with the connectivity and pathing problems. Can't find any notes. A comm lead mentioned a "server update" which may have something to do with it.

We are working hard to resolve a problem that is at the heart of the issues which some players have reported.

Namely:
    Trading not working consistently
    Unable to load/claim city errors
    Getting stuck in a loop in the tutorial

To that end we are currently rolling out a server update which we believe will improve performance considerably. This will involve restarts over the next 4-5 hours across all of our current severs. Minor player impact may occur, such as trading not working consistently and the region wall not working occasionally.

We appreciate your continued patience and support while this fix is being deployed.
    http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/9337464.page

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/li....page#27456857 <---mentions timetable for rolling restarts.
    Last edited by Agraza; 03-06-2013 at 08:30 PM.

Tuconots
    Good to see - I know that the only server giving me issues is US East 1 - am/was able to load/create/play in cities on the other servers just fine (West 1/2)

Tuconots
    Since I'm still stuck at work and still haven't actually played since beta, does anyone know of a "city planner" or similar tool out there that I could fuck around with?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Cad View Post
    So water doesn't actually run out. You need to put your water pumping station near the water treatment plant; the water treatment plant replenishes the water underneath it. Your pumping station can then pump it out. This water doesn't run out.
    So wait. You build the water pumping station w/ the filtration system attached right by the sewage treatment plant and that keeps water going forever? Since in a sense you are re-using water, like most major cities in RL do.

I fount my issue with my oil town. Can't have your major residential/commercial area between your storage and the region highway access. Which sucks on the map I was on since the oil deposit was right in the middle of the map and the wind blew in a direction where If I put industrial stuff at the entrance it would of blown right over my town.
    Last edited by Cinge; 03-06-2013 at 08:36 PM.

Tuconots
    Since reloading the launcher after the patch (automatic iirc), it is now checking for updates perpetually and basically doing nothing. Perhaps the server restarts they're doing are interrupting the patch system.

No idea Vvoid, but I'll look.

Tuconots
    It would appear we chose the wronger server, heh. Just tried loggin in to NA East 1, and its hanging on the patch - logged in to NA West w/ no trouble at all. Lame.

Tuconots
    Some other gamers have noticed the pathing issues on the official board. Fingers crossed that balance patches are already being written.

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/9338045.page

A thread mentioning worker shortages. This is going to be next problem if pathing is ever resolved. Basically your workforce is a small percentage of your total population. Which makes some sense since your population is full of kids and elderly I guess. But the proportions are still a little ridiculous. Something should be done. I regularly have unfilled jobs on the order of 5-20k depending on my city size and proportion of residential. And I zone residential in like 85% of the city.

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/9338175.page

BIG thread on traffic that occasionally touches on the service vehicle gridlock and pathing problems.

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/9335021.page

Generally, its not a problem that i couldnt overcome with enough public transport or better road density or better planning.

But i have this one issue, i dont know if its a glitch in the game or what.

In front of my college, there's a gridlock between the college worker vehicles and the school busses. It is causing all my city service vehicles to be stuck in the jam -garbage trucks etc.
    When i looked closer i found that the busses dont move in and from the colleges carpark, there are cars that can't come out.

I ended up bulldozing that college and moving it elsewhere, because i couldnt figure it out.
    Last edited by Agraza; 03-06-2013 at 09:09 PM.

Tuconots
    Downloaded the patch. Now I can't go more than 5 minutes without the game crashing to desktop. Loading server and game fine so I guess that's a plus...

Tuconots
    To the people complaining about traffic: you just suck at the game, seriously. It takes a good amount of practice/planning, but after a dozen or so play-throughs with incremental improvements I've managed to get a city up to about 160k pop with zero traffic problems. I've been running an oil > recycling > microprocessor > global export production line that criss-crosses the whole city with zero problems. I don't want to give away all the secrets, but the key is to minimize intersections on your major avenues connecting to the highway and then to do some secret sauce with how you lay down the zones within blocks and bus stops (protip: never use the ctrl key when zoning, that's all I'll say). Anyway, there likely are a few glitches in the traffic pathing, but for the most part I think people are attributing to bugs what is actually the byproduct of their poor traffic management skills.

Anyway traffic management seems to be the linchpin of this game. If you plan it right from the start you end up spending half as much on services as you would otherwise, and if you are producing any exports within the city you can easily double your productivity. Its worth doing a lot of experimenting with it to perfect your strategy.

Also, not sure if anyone has posted it already, but I discovered last night the key to water management is placing your water pump adjacent to the treatment plant late game. I've found that to be totally sustainable even in tiles with low starting water and no sea access.
    Last edited by Intropy; 03-06-2013 at 09:07 PM.

Tuconots
    Hey if you want to deal with getting a refund then go ahead. I just feel like anyone surprised by simcity's release must be new to gaming or really confused.
    So you're saying that launch day failures should be an accepted part of the gaming industry? They've got you trained to just accept it my friend. And you shouldn't.

Tuconots
    No, he's saying that everyone should have completely expected it when buying the game.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Bane View Post
    So you're saying that launch day failures should be an accepted part of the gaming industry? They've got you trained to just accept it my friend. And you shouldn't.
    No. I'm saying that you can feel free to bitch about fire being hot (And you rightfully should, I've been telling everyone I know how unnecessarily shitty simcity's launch is), but don't be surprised that when you stick your hand in the fire you get burned.

And yes, week 1 of major online game releases are the gaming equivalent to fires.

Tuconots
    I thought of a better metaphor, it's like when a battered girlfriend tries to complain to you about her latest beating.

Tuconots
    You obviously aren't beating her right if she is still complaining.

Tuconots

Tuconots
    Intropy let's see some screenshots of your master cities.

Tuconots
    Intropy let's see some screenshots of your master cities.
    I dont want to reveal all the l33t sauce secrets just yet, but the layout in that screenshot is the most retarded shit I ever saw. There is only one building per block which means insane amounts of intersections and no traffic flow whatsoever. Not to mention 823457235 Park & Rides in one location at a dead end corner of the city which is pointless.
    Last edited by Intropy; 03-06-2013 at 10:05 PM.

Tuconots
    Yeah, I guess Tuco made the mistake of thinking that you knew wtf you were talking about.

Tuconots
    So how shitty is this game? is it worth buying?

Tuconots
    I haven't even played since release but I believe those are cop cars.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam12 View Post
    Yeah, I guess Tuco made the mistake of thinking that you knew wtf you were talking about.
    Bro are you new here? There's no mistakes being made.

And in case anyone gets confused I didn't make the city in that screenshot.

Tuconots
    Chocolate Rambo must be in town...

Tuconots
    It's actually a donut shop.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Intropy View Post
    I dont want to reveal all the l33t sauce secrets just yet
    lol

Dabamf
    Apparently "Jews" is a censored word. Lol. My city shows up as ****

I can't get on US East 1. It's full all the time. I'm playing eurotrash east 2 because it's the only location consistently open.

Tuconots
    Jews. No additional slur necessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny49 View Post
    also chocolate release the same chemical in the brain that the feeling of love does, so i am training them to love giving me blowjobs
    Draegan's a faggot.

Tuconots
    Good news they added a queue display time, bad news have to wait 18 fucking minutes to play a mostly single player game...

Game is turning out to be worse than almost every mmo release with all the crashing, the checking for update hanging, losing connection to servers, not saving all information in time when servers go down, not showing friends in game, not showing friends maps, I deleted one region twice only to come back and it see it duplicated twice instead on my map list. Can't trade between cities if there isn't an actual road connection apparently ferries or trains don't count.

Tuconots
    3 hour queue on East 1 if you can get past the checking for updates

Or 25 mins when i log in again queue doesnt even know how long
    Last edited by ohmgee; 03-07-2013 at 12:54 AM.

Tuconots
    http://answers.ea.com/t5/Updater/Che...ue/td-p/634232 helped me get further in the failbot

Tuconots
    It's pretty fail how they rolled this out. Half the servers are "busy" which doesn't really mean they are busy, just that they show that way. If you close the patcher and re-open it, you get checking for updates forever UNLESS you re-run the recovery tool, wait 5 minutes and then get a second shot at a server choice.

Like Dabamf I'm playing on a "non-native" server, even though there are basically servers flagged as Available.

Even funnier is half the time I was playing I got the "you have been disconnected" message in the upper left of the city display, so it basically was a local game for most of my play time today.

Gotta love EA...

Tuconots
    Just came to say, this thread delivers.

Despite some of the obvious bugs and rampant issues well deserved by EA....It is entertaining to watch people trying to "beat the simulation" by spamming bus stops and playing tron with roads and expecting to win.
    Not claiming to have it all figured out (cant log in).

Tuconots
    So I just sat through a 20 minute queue to get into the game, and now it fails to load any of my friends or invites, and periodically tells me that it cannot connect to the SimCity servers. Normally a restart would be my approach, but I'll probably have to sit through another fucking queue again.

Goddammit, I just want to play the fucking game for the first time.

Tuconots
    Yah i just sat through the queue only for it to tell me im not playing any games and disconnecting every 2s so dont bother

Tuconots
    This game is so fucking unusuable. Log in, can't create any cities or anything "Unable to claim".

Horrible horrible launch, can't believe you can't just play "Offline". MAJOR FAIL.

Tuconots
    https://help.ea.com/article/why-cant...ect-to-simcity

I especially like how they downplay the scope of the problems.

Tuconots
    CRYING N00BS GUIDE TO LAYING DOWN ROADS v1.0

Server's down so there probably won't be a better time to do this, multiple posts due to image limits.

PART 1a: ROAD LAYOUT

Spoiler: 

First step, is to identify your highway, either you'll have one extending through your zone or, or if you just have an off/on ramp poking in, you'll plan to extend it across your whole zone. The key to your highway is to absolutely minimize intersections to it, it should only have 3-4 connections spaced across the whole map, two of these will be to your major avenues.

Step two is to start planning your road spacing. If you want an optimial grid, you won't be able to eye-ball it. Instead start at one edge of your map, and use small segments of dirt road and the built-in grid system to start determining the correct spacing.

Next up is to determine the location, of your main avenues, These are the primary roads that are going to connect back to your highway. I suggest placing them 4 blocks from the perimeter of the city. Unlike the smaller roads, you can't rely on the built-in grids to space the avenues, as they give too much room. Instead, you need to eyeball it at first, then test your spacing with the zoning tool to ensure it's one block width away from the dirt roads you placed.

Next up is to use the same technique to determine the grid spacing going in the other direction, this is going to be your first local street and it will prevent the other local streets from actually reaching the highway.

So these two shots illustrate the central concept of the guide which is that smaller streets run parallel to larger streets in order to minimize intersections and keep traffic flowing quickly.

This layout gradually expands across the whole map as the game progresses, you can avoid dead ends with temporary streets that you delete later, but I've found sims are pretty tolerant to long dead end streets so it shouldn't cause too much grief.
    Last edited by Intropy; 03-07-2013 at 01:46 AM.

Tuconots
    PART 1b: ROAD LAYOUT

Spoiler: 

The next part of the strategy is to minimize unnecessary corners by using curved roads, this is especially important on your main highway/avenues but you should implement it where possible with small streets as well.

As you extend your grid across the map, you can change the direction of avenues using curves and change the orientation of your smaller streets so they stay parallel to the avenues.

Break the grid for large buildings in low traffic areas in a way that doesn't impede the busier cross streets. This keeps traffic flowing and helps to keep your police cars and fire trucks from getting stuck in traffic at rush hour.

Tuconots
    PART 2: ZONING

Spoiler: 

The above road grid layout is only really effective when your buildings are all oriented to take advantage of it.

This is the wrong way to zone, it gives you no control over which way buildings are oriented which means you can't control how cars access your streets.

This is the correct way to zone, cars only access the street from one direction which means the other direction can flow freely. Additionally it prevents buildings from enter/exiting off the busier cross streets which connect to the main avenues.

Completed zoning across the whole region, all roads are single loaded parallel to the main avenues, there are few buildings facing onto the cross streets and absolutely no buildings with access to the main highway.

Tuconots
    PART 3: TRANSIT

Spoiler: 

Bus stops should all be placed on the same side of the road, and spaced as far as the green area allows, this helps control traffic flow in the same way as the zoning strategy.

Park and rides are really important, they need to go in key areas, like the entrance to the city, where they can intercept a lot of would-be drivers and get them into buses instead which reduces the total number of cars driving across the city.

The street car entrance should go in the middle of your avenue loop. You should only make linear street car tracks with no intersections, the street cars will drive until full and then turn back with no regard for where they are trying to get. You can use this to your advantage by allowing the street car to circulate from the back of your city (opposite the highway) to your highway and then back again.

Tuconots
    http://answers.ea.com/t5/Updater/Che...ue/td-p/634232 helped me get further in the failbot
    This worked for me thanks

Tuconots
    intropy thanks for posting that, elucidated a few unintuitive things.

Tuconots
    Thanks, and thanks for elucidating the word elucidated for me.

Tuconots
    Was doing my tourist city great, Then a meteor takes out all 3 tourist attractions. I re-build em, going strong again and my nuclear reactor meltsdown. The region had a college/community college/high schools but I guess I need at least high school maybe community in city to not meltdown.

The trading/export is big money, it just takes a bit to get there. Have to get to the point where you are creating lots of plastic/metal to ship out. Recycling plant is nice but again have to have the buildings to output recyclable items.

I've slowly learned roads(how to build to avoid huge traffic problems). Thanks to cad earlier about the tip with water, that worked perfectly. Now I have to balance RCI and decide how to earn money(taxes is not enough). Either tourist, exporting plastic/metals and later electronics or mining/drilling. I haven't seen one good casino town yet that made good money(always seem to have 1 doing good but the rest lost 5k+ a hour).

Have had a few issues with servers or not being able to join. Thankfully once I get in a game it seems to be fine and I can do 4-5 hours or more easily without realizing it.
    Last edited by Cinge; 03-07-2013 at 02:35 AM.

Tuconots
    I wish i could actually load up to the game and play, hours of not being able to fucking connect so far.

Tuconots
    Someone come build a city near mine in the Rerolled 2 region. I have an abundance of metal/alloy and want to start a great work (have the cash as well).

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by cinge View Post
    Was doing my tourist city great, Then a meteor takes out all 3 tourist attractions. I re-build em, going strong again and my nuclear reactor meltsdown. The region had a college/community college/high schools but I guess I need at least high school maybe community in city to not meltdown.
    Yeah with your luck, you'll end up with Colombine next.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Springbok View Post
    Someone come build a city near mine in the Rerolled 2 region. I have an abundance of metal/alloy and want to start a great work (have the cash as well).
    If I could actually claim a spot in the region (I have an invite, it just won't let me claim anything) I might. Of course at the rate I've clicked stuff, it will probably eventually show me as claiming all the remaining regions

Tuconots
    Is it just me, or is it hilarious how inept EA is for being one of the (formerly) biggest names in the industry?

I mean, I don't really care, I did pick up the game hoping to dick around in it some but can't really log in, haven't had time to play. EA are going to have to wake up and realize this integrating single player games into multiplayer game systems is not a money maker, but a money loser at some point.

Hopefully not, though. There are worse fates for the universe than seeing EA go out of business for good.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Vvoid View Post
    If I could actually claim a spot in the region (I have an invite, it just won't let me claim anything) I might. Of course at the rate I've clicked stuff, it will probably eventually show me as claiming all the remaining regions
    Well if/when you get in, do one near Blackstone - I'll send you fire/police/garbage etc to help you get started. Pretty ronery on my side of the map.

That said, went to check out Araxens city, got booted and now it won't load my city. Terrible servers/service, meh.

Tuconots
    Seems it took one of my earlier claims, so I'm totally on the other side from you Springbok. Oh well, at least *maybe* it will let me play now.

EDIT: Nope, still can't get into the actual city, but it does think I belong there at least, so I'm slowly getting there!
    Last edited by Void; 03-07-2013 at 03:37 AM.

Tuconots
    Now forced into a tutorial that never starts. What the fuck is this shit.

Tuconots
    I played at launch without issues outside of the friends list thing. Now when I launch I get a black screen.

Tuconots
    The black screen is a hidden log in, and then when you try to actually load your zone... nope, servers disconnected.

Lynched by ps4 fanbois Osiris The Everliving's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Well europeon servers arent fairing well , at least not EU west 1. Bummer

Tuconots
    Was able to play in my area for a couple of hours. Starting off where I did for my first city was probably a terrible idea, as it is a 2-level coastal town, making any sort of actual maximization of space impossible for me at this point. It also has 2 oil deposits, which of course I didn't have any idea how to locate until I had already built tons of shit over both of them. With an oil refinery I'm generating tons more power than I actually need, but I have no clue how to send it to anyone else.

Tuconots
    You don't actually do anything to send power to other people. They have to go to region view, power and select buy to buy any excess. The game itself will automatically put up any excess water, power, sewage up for sale. It will only sell any excess you have.

The things the player themselves has to manually "offer" to other cities, is services. Police , ambulance, fire , garbage trucks, recycle etc.

Tuconots

Tuconots
    "Fuck it I'm going to bed."

Sounds like the right idea.

Tuconots
    In RR2 we almost have our first Arco built.

RR1 is also top 15 worldwide in population.

Tuconots
    This "Pro-Tip" Spreadsheet was posted on Neogaf: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...=sharing#gid=0
    Last edited by Araxen; 03-07-2013 at 12:37 PM.

Tuconots
    8:30 in the morning, still can't connect to the servers. The fuck.

Tuconots
    Been chipping away at the arco in RR 2. Fucker is epic. I have a 350kish city flinging random bits of metal/alloy at it. I'll try TVs when it's capped on metal and alloy. TVs are going to be stupid fucking epic though. You have to generate I think 1.5m in electronics sales, which is just the processors. Each maxed processor facility seems to be able to turn out about 330k in sales if your exports actually work.

To make TVs I might need to decimate my population and destroy services so I can cut down traffic enough to get reliable import/export. As it is, traffic is fucking me. The city was conceived of as a workforce support for faile and budos so I still have this legacy high residential design that I can do without.

Tuconots
    This sucks been trying to connect for days now and even when I manage to get past launcher I just get into game and it says lost connect to server and nothing works.

When I get to main menu and nothing works because it loses connect, should I stay on that screen or do I have to quit out and try again?
    Last edited by Blazin; 03-07-2013 at 02:21 PM.

Tuconots
    I always quit when it isn't behaving. Sometimes I restart origin as well.

This is slowly turning into a ridiculously terrible launch. They need to get this connection shit handled.

Tuconots
    I added a link to the spreadsheet and the page number for Intropy's Guide to the OP.

I'm off tomorrow so hopefully I can put some time into this. Will add Tuco and Faille tonight and try to get an invite to RR2 or whatever we have going on tomorrow.

Tuconots
    There is no page 15 with max posts per page sir.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Agraza View Post
    There is no page 15 with max posts per page sir.
    Oops. I forgot this board allowed 60 posts per page. I made the change. Thanks

Tuconots
    Tried to log in this morning before work on West 2. Server said available so I tried to hope into my city. Game gets stuck at "Now Entering" screen and just keeps updating tips. Have to ctrl+alt+del to get out of it.

Tuconots
    Intropy I replicated your road-path last night. I'm really apprehensive about making a loop with the avenues vs multiple straight avenues that go through the city. What happened to me is that the intersection of one of my med-density roads wit hthe avenue caused a perpetual traffic jam with around 120,000 people. I had a bunch of mass tranist, it's just that loop funnels half the city into that intersection.

Tuconots
    man i can't wait till I'm allowed to play my game again

I'm trying to make me a smog bleching monstrocity and this whole server thing is tarding it up.

Tuconots
    Intropy I replicated your road-path last night. I'm really apprehensive about making a loop with the avenues vs multiple straight avenues that go through the city. What happened to me is that the intersection of one of my med-density roads wit hthe avenue caused a perpetual traffic jam with around 120,000 people. I had a bunch of mass tranist, it's just that loop funnels half the city into that intersection.
    Is it possible that you have too few connections to the main avenue? Its a delicate balance between spacing them out as far as possible and making sure everyone isn't accessing the avenue from the same cross street.

Tuconots
    Intropy I replicated your road-path last night. I'm really apprehensive about making a loop with the avenues vs multiple straight avenues that go through the city. What happened to me is that the intersection of one of my med-density roads with the avenue caused a perpetual traffic jam with around 120,000 people. I had a bunch of mass transit, it's just that loop funnels half the city into that intersection.
    I have also been trying (for the hour or so a day when I actually get in and can play) to build using Intropys guide and some issues I have already run into are planning around ore, oil, and coal deposits. Usually I would position my industrial and disposal services near these deposits and in a direction where the wind would not blow onto my residential. I would also try and build them in ares where the water table is the lightest so as not run into water issues later when I build more water towers.

Another thing is having RCI only exist on one side of the road and not in multiple cross sections across all sides of each road has reduced my revenue quite a bit also. Then if the map is not flat or if the main road travels right through the middle of your map that can throw another twist into things.

The guide is still very useful and I plan on working more customization's into it while I play if only I could play....

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Intropy View Post
    Is it possible that you have too few connections to the main avenue? Its a delicate balance between spacing them out as far as possible and making sure everyone isn't accessing the avenue from the same cross street.
    Yeah I think I'll need 2 or three connections like that. Have you used much dirt roads for the avenues? Some people are using them and like them because they let cars get onto/off of avenues but don't cause intersections. It's not intuitive but from what I've seen there's no acceleration on cars so it might work.

Tuconots
    also

Thread Information