PDA

View Full Version : DAOC: Origins - New Server

Pages : [1] 2 3

Delicateflower
01-02-2014, 10:17 AM
In a few days it launches

You can download client and patcher here

Download | Daoc Origins (http://daoc-origins.net/download/)

Rerolled Guild name is Bacon

Do a /who bacon and send players a tell for invite

Cepaqua
01-02-2014, 01:36 PM
Favorite MMO of all time: DAoC
Favorite Xpac of all time: Shrouded Isles (DAoC)
Worst Xpac of all time: Trials of Atlantis (DAoC) OUCH.

DAoC will always be remembered for being the first MMO to offer 3 realms, each with their own unique classes. In fact, each realm had more classes to pick from than almost every MMO offers for their entire roster. The sheer diversity of race/class selection remains staggering to this day. And for those who love to sing the "unbalanced" song all day, 45 classes is no harder to balance than 9 classes, people will complain about balance no matter what, whether its 2 or 100 classes. Bottom line, more classes = more fun and much more diversity. And DAoC remains the king of that subject.

DAoC also put the highly coveted "RvR" (Realm vs Realm) on the MMO map and nobody has been able to replicate the sheer fun and complexity that Mythic was able to bring to the table. It definitely had some deep rooted issues, especially some obscene crowd control mechanics that were later suppressed with Realm Rank abilities, but probably a little too late for most players. The ones that stuck around for years saw RvR evolve into a much more pleasant experience. I was part of the world's first keep siege raid and seeing a 3 way battle with hundreds of players on my screen blew my mind away forever.

Origins is going to be a very nostalgic trip for those of us who lived and breathed this incredible MMO. For those who have never tried DAoC, I implore you to give it a spin. This will probably be your last opportunity to get a glimpse of what the game looked like back in October 2001, when there were hundreds of people running around. The premise is brilliant. It takes place after the death of King Arthur and follows the mythology of the 3 different realms: Norse (Midgard), Celtic (Hibernia) and Arthurian (Albion). It's my personal favorite fantasy setting and I can't get enough of it.

See you in the Frontiers.

Szeth
01-02-2014, 01:58 PM
I'd love to play this with a fairly regular group, but I don't think I can be damned to solo in DAoC. Maybe I will wrangle up some friends to give it a go.

Friday
01-02-2014, 02:07 PM
I'll try it out. I played DAoC for all of 20 minutes when it was released.

Tenks
01-02-2014, 02:14 PM
Can someone give me the quick rundown on what is included in this? Is it just vanilla DAOC or does it include SI? New Frontiers? Bot leash range? Darkness Falls?

Utnayan
01-02-2014, 02:15 PM
If it's Vanilla and SI, I may even try it out. If it is New Frontiers, fuck that.

Edit: Jesus their forums... It's like the Rickshaw made it's own internet.

Delicateflower
01-02-2014, 03:09 PM
I think its classic and SI

No boxing, no crossteaming

Dont see whats especially retarded about their forums, its a gaming forum after all

Im planning to play mid, maybe a bezerker or bonedancer, no RL friends playin this so would be cool to have a group maybe started before server launches

Kedwyn
01-02-2014, 03:51 PM
I loved DAOC but I'd never play it again unless I could skip their PVE.

Gecko
01-02-2014, 03:55 PM
I'd love to play this with a fairly regular group, but I don't think I can be damned to solo in DAoC. Maybe I will wrangle up some friends to give it a go.

Same here. 6 man gank squad for the win. Plus, I agree the PVE is just gawdawful. 4X base EXP at least, plz.

Grumpus
01-02-2014, 04:08 PM
Kind of excited to play this game again. Rerolled all gona roll on one side?

Lost Ranger
01-02-2014, 04:20 PM
Same here. 6 man gank squad for the win. Plus, I agree the PVE is just gawdawful. 4X base EXP at least, plz.

I am not sure I can do the pve grind in this again. The RvR is incredible amounts of fun, but holy fuck is the pve painful. It would need a exp boost to make it tolerable. The classes that make pve fun tend to suck balls at rvr sadly.

Delicateflower
01-02-2014, 04:28 PM
I am not sure I can do the pve grind in this again. The RvR is incredible amounts of fun, but holy fuck is the pve painful. It would need a exp boost to make it tolerable. The classes that make pve fun tend to suck balls at rvr sadly.

Im looking for a class guide, would love to play a class thats good at PVP and decent at PVE, mainly wanted in groups for raiding

Anyone got a good link for SI era classes

also have no clue as to whats changed in SI and thus if i can trust the info on uthgard forums

Jackie Treehorn
01-02-2014, 04:39 PM
I remember buying DAOC when it came out and quitting after getting to level 8 or something. The leveling part was super dull as I recall (as others have stated above.) That said, I remember so many throughout the years speaking so well of the RvR stuff. I wouldn't mind trying this for shits and giggles, but it'd have to have some super accelerated leveling.

Melicant
01-02-2014, 07:06 PM
I actually thought their last expansions were really well done (Darkness Rising especially). The biggest reason is it made PVE leveling so much easier. They added task masters outside of the forts/cities where you could get a quest for an instance (either solo or group) that you could go clear in 10-15 minutes for a really nice chunk of xp. We also later discovered some creative LOS issues in some of the highest level ones where you could park alts and a level 50 AE class on top of the entrance and have a shield tank pull the whole instance. 1-50 in 6 hours once we got it all figured out. They also overhauled the battlegrounds to the point where you could level almost exclusively in them if you wanted to. Champion weapons/Champion levels and quests were also nice, especially since classic was a no buff bot server. It's why I loved the classic server as it was basically DAOC up to date with TOA taken out. Even on an origin server with SI I don't think I could take the PVE leveling unless I had a set regular group.

If you want a class in high demand for groups in either RvR or pve I'd probably say this for each realm:
Hib: Druid, Bard, Hero
Mid: Healer, Shaman, Warrior (Skald for RvR, not so much group PVE)
Alb: Cleric, Paladin, Sorc (Minstrel for RvR, not so much group PVE)

Out of those the best for solo leveling would be hero, warrior, sorc, paladin. For RvR an 8 man group of each realm ran at least 1 of each class I listed as pretty much mandatory (and usually two of the primary healing class).

Kuriin
01-02-2014, 07:08 PM
Im looking for a class guide, would love to play a class thats good at PVP and decent at PVE, mainly wanted in groups for raiding

also have no clue as to whats changed in SI and thus if i can trust the info on uthgard forums

Depends what realm you decide. CCers, healers, or tanks are all around good in both PvP and PvE because of tankage. I remember playing as a cleric in a tank group and I was hidden so no one could figure out why the tanks weren't dying. ;-) There are some classes that don't do well in groups.

Quineloe
01-02-2014, 07:13 PM
If it's Vanilla and SI, I may even try it out. If it is New Frontiers, fuck that.

I can't get over them having the user info on the wrong side of the screen.

Regime
01-02-2014, 07:13 PM

Midgard for life son

I will roll a Kobald hunter. Dung Fu 2.0

Lost Ranger
01-02-2014, 07:28 PM

Basically avoid stealthers. Some stealthers have it easier than others, but for the most part leveling them sucks. Not very popular for grouping either. At end game they often roll in packs which can be deadly, and a ton of fun. Painful until that point IMO.

Delicateflower
01-02-2014, 07:36 PM
Basically avoid stealthers. Some stealthers have it easier than others, but for the most part leveling them sucks. Not very popular for grouping either. At end game they often roll in packs which can be deadly, and a ton of fun. Painful until that point IMO.

No one mentioned beserkers yet, what about those. Trying to avoid casters as i usually play them alot and want soemthing fresh. So i guess im hesitating between zerker and war. Are zerkers any viable solo, i play alot during nights and its often a little slow, want to be able to do at least some soloing. Might go with a CCer if it can solo miles away from those 2 classes

Regime
01-02-2014, 07:42 PM

For people that havent played this game being a stealther sucks to level but is by far the most fun I have ever had in a mmorpg pvp setting. Take the zone Darkness Falls for example. This zone is a coveted hot exp/loot drop area which only 1 realm can have at any given time. Once another realm takes enough forts or whatever the place opens up and pvp ensues.

Well I'd just camp my hunter and log back in a few hours later. Gank the shit outta low levels and reign havoc dodging high levels chasing you lol.

Also sitting at Milegates (where everyone enters the pvp area from your faction) waiting for hours with my brothers and friends all stealthed killing people as they ran by.

Man that shit was very fun but the biggest pita to level.

Lost Ranger
01-02-2014, 08:02 PM
Zerkers dish out some serious pain. Any class can solo in DAoC, but pure melee will struggle. If you want to solo and actually feel like you are making progress I would recommend a hybrid, healer, or caster. Tanks, stealthers, and pure melee can all kick ass at end game, but if you don't have friends to level with your chances of getting to that point are slim. It will be slow going, and you will die a lot with those classes.

My advice is go with a class that solos like a pro, and if you like the game enough to stick around awhile use that class to fund something harder. Twinking out something like a zerker can make it MUCH easier.

Penance
01-02-2014, 08:09 PM
What was so bad about trial of Atlantis? Never played it

Vilmz
01-02-2014, 08:21 PM
I only really dabbled in DAoC. Looking forward to diving in.

Nirgon
01-02-2014, 08:27 PM
Shield + hammer warrior solo'd really well for me in Midgard.

Janx
01-02-2014, 09:00 PM
As long as all the battlegrounds are in leveling shouldnt be an issue. If i remember correctly you can level fast as hell in them. I'll go Skald if this really happens/midguard is the realm.

error
01-02-2014, 10:19 PM
I'll go Skald if this really happens/midguard is the realm.

Ditto. Definitely Midgard.

Dahkoht
01-02-2014, 10:52 PM
Guesses on most popular realm for this type of server ? While I always enjoy playing the underdog/less populated , I just can't do golf course Hibernia for some reason. I'd normally guess Albion would be most popular and go Mid , but wondering if old school players coming back might make Midgard more popular.

pointyboot
01-03-2014, 02:50 AM
Downloaded and ready to rock. I have never played DAOC more than the trial back in 2005ish. I have no idea about anything in this game and i'm pretty excited about that.

Lost Ranger
01-03-2014, 03:30 AM
Guesses on most popular realm for this type of server ? While I always enjoy playing the underdog/less populated , I just can't do golf course Hibernia for some reason. I'd normally guess Albion would be most popular and go Mid , but wondering if old school players coming back might make Midgard more popular.

It is going to be Mid or Albion. My guess is Mid is going to be the zerg realm this time around. Mid always seemed to attract the old school pvpers and I imagine this server is going to be heavily populated with just that. Hiblets are likely in deep shit, and face a up hill battle since I imagine Albion will be ranked 2nd in terms of population. Group vs Group play won't matter much since all 3 realms are strong, but RvR is usually a numbers game. 300 vikings hammering the door down is pretty hard to stop with 30 brits/elves. :P

Reiker
01-03-2014, 04:29 AM
I don't understand what advantage this server has over say, Uthgard which has been in development for years. I have a feeling that I'll end up just going back to Uthgard, but I'll check out Origins.

I have a 50 Skald on Uthgard, and will most likely be playing Mid on Origins.

Grumpus
01-03-2014, 04:29 AM
Signed up, downloaded, installed, ready to go! Midgard hammer/shield warrior.

Regime
01-03-2014, 04:33 AM
I don't understand what advantage this server has over say, Uthgard which has been in development for years. I have a feeling that I'll end up just going back to Uthgard, but I'll check out Origins.

I have a 50 Skald on Uthgard, and will most likely be playing Mid on Origins.

not having to compete against a bunch of level 50s for starters.

Nightmare
01-03-2014, 04:35 AM
Sorry if I missed it but where is this server located?

Reiker
01-03-2014, 04:37 AM
If we can have enough of a solid, dependable group of people I'll play a Healer. Otherwise I'll play a Skald or a Berserker.

I'd like to go Paci/Healing from the start, but that's probably the only class/spec combination in the game with absolutely no ability to solo anything.

Eidal
01-03-2014, 05:13 AM
Also curious where the server is located.

This forum and the official forums indicate a HEAVY bias towards Midgarde.

Duppin
01-03-2014, 05:19 AM
If I were to play this, I'd totally go Alb, because Friar is my favorite class in any MMO ever. I KICK ASS, FOR THE LORD!

Dahkoht
01-03-2014, 05:37 AM
If I were to play this, I'd totally go Alb, because Friar is my favorite class in any MMO ever. I KICK ASS, FOR THE LORD!

An entire party of roaming friars screaming along in the Frontiers ?

Duppin
01-03-2014, 05:41 AM
I don't even remember if they're any good. I just love the idea of the class.

Dahkoht
01-03-2014, 05:44 AM
Maybe one minstrel playing the drums while 7 Friars crack heads with their staffs......

Reiker
01-03-2014, 06:35 AM
Friar is one of my favorite MMO classes of all time too, but they were never really included much in "serious" 8 man groups. I think they fit more of a non-stealth solo class, but not show how they are in that regards compared to say a Valewalker.

Delicateflower
01-03-2014, 06:46 AM
Servers in France i think

Think ive settled on pvp leveling a zerker, hopefully server popular enough for this to be viable

Any tips on decoding this: Uthgard • View topic - Berserker Spec (http://uthgard.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=15944&start=15) lol

Wtf is dont go 50 hammer, 36+14 is enough

For people like me who havent played daoc lots or at all this leveling guide might be useful

Uthgard • View topic - Midgard Leveling Guide (http://uthgard.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=27427&sid=88ae6959e8830ef1685a83071a8f7bd1)

Not sure if anything there is obsolete with SI expansion

Szeth
01-03-2014, 10:36 AM
Gonna roll a char.... is everyone midgard?

Gecko
01-03-2014, 12:33 PM
Gonna roll a char.... is everyone midgard?

I'd be interested in grouping for this. Someone motivated make a fresh thread with characters, playtimes, realms, etc. I have no idea what I'd play. I guess it depends on how many of each class we have.

Since there is zero multi-boxing, this server should be interesting, Really, I'm not 100% sure I'm interested in this server as they haven't really provided much information. I really hope they make exp faster than Uthgard. That was my biggest issue there.

Lost Ranger
01-03-2014, 02:46 PM
Wtf is dont go 50 hammer, 36+14 is enough

The number of points in a ability determines damage, and combat abilities. You can go all the way to 50 if you want, but in most cases it isn't worth the points. You wont get the combat abilities that come from investing 37+ points, but you will still get the damage with 36+14. That +14 is something you can get on gear. Best gear in the game is a full set of player made gear, fully enchanted by another player. They have templates on the internet to see what you should be looking for. In this case you would want +14 hammer on it to hit that 50 mark for damage output.

Going only 36 opens up points to go into other shit.

Kuriin
01-03-2014, 03:40 PM
What was so bad about trial of Atlantis? Never played it

Problem was, that it introduced PvE that was required to compete in RvR. There were special items known as artifacts that would make you stronger, plus you would have Master Levels and those abilities.

I think I was the only one who enjoyed Atlantis. Tough bosses and great environments. Plus, I was one of the few leaders that was really ahead of the game.

Trials of Atlantis Info (http://www.bkdaoc.com/modules/XForum/miror/daoc/toa/index.htm)

:D

Lost Ranger
01-03-2014, 04:19 PM
It was the requirement to do it that was so bad. The content itself was pretty fun. The problem is that the game is mainly full of pvpers. Being forced to do lots of pve to get back to what you enjoy is bullshit.

Imagine raiders being forced to PvP for months so they could continue raiding. Awful fucking design.

Gecko
01-03-2014, 04:32 PM
Problem was, that it introduced PvE that was required to compete in RvR. There were special items known as artifacts that would make you stronger, plus you would have Master Levels and those abilities.

I think I was the only one who enjoyed Atlantis. Tough bosses and great environments. Plus, I was one of the few leaders that was really ahead of the game.

I always felt PVE sucked in DAOC and most of us played for the RVR aspect. It seemed Mythic ignored the most popular part of the game to try to move towards EQ <for some reason>. TOA was better PVE, but still lackluster and weak compared to EQ, and I felt moved in the opposite direction of Darkness Falls, which was great.

I enjoyed the Shrouded Isles expansion and felt it played towards DAOCs strength. Trials of Atlantis was more trying to fit DAOC into a bigger PVE hole and it really pushed me away from the game.

Tenks
01-03-2014, 04:38 PM

Trials of Atlantis Info (http://www.bkdaoc.com/modules/XForum/miror/daoc/toa/index.htm)

:D

I loved ToA but I was a weirdo who actually enjoyed PVE in DAOC. I'd basically just farm with my Enchanter + Druid bot for hours collecting scrolls and getting filthy, filthy rich. Though Light Mentalists were the best at farming. For whatever the other charm classes were for the other realms.

Did they ever fix it so spells actually hit mobs in end-game? I remember going on a SI dungeon raid and had to just whack stuff with my staff because 99/100 spells were resisted.

Kharza-kzad
01-03-2014, 04:53 PM
55663yey Friars!

Janx
01-03-2014, 05:22 PM
Did anyone play on Galahad by chance? Debating on doing a Shaman if there're people to level with. Buffs so OP.

Lost Ranger
01-03-2014, 05:32 PM
I get the vibe that rvr on this server is going to be awful. I figured Mid would be the most popular,but it seems worse then I thought. It is going to be a huge cluster fuck with Mid just zerging everything, while Hib/Alb aim for off hour captures. Quick way to kill the server heh.

Hopefully some large groups make some last minute changes so that end game is interesting.

Janx
01-03-2014, 05:39 PM
I'd be more than happy to go Alb too. Always thought the classes were more interesting. Love me some sorc/bard

Kuriin
01-03-2014, 05:50 PM
Did anyone play on Galahad by chance? Debating on doing a Shaman if there're people to level with. Buffs so OP.

YES! I was on Galahad. My main server. I was Kuriin on Hibernia, Asakura on Midgard, and I played Ssyan on Albion.

Janx
01-03-2014, 05:55 PM
Think I went by Pilferr. Was a Friar in Stout.

sticktastic
01-03-2014, 06:01 PM
Does this cost money? sub fee?

Kuriin
01-03-2014, 06:08 PM
Omg Pilfer! You and hung out a lot.

Dahkoht
01-03-2014, 06:14 PM
55663yey Friars!

Last time I tried Uthgard , (roughly two years ago or so ) , I got serious flashing/texture problems (using Nvidia then and still am ) , zero issues with other games. Couldn't find a fix then , was wondering if it's still an issue before downloading and trying this one.

Janx
01-03-2014, 06:33 PM
Omg Pilfer! You and hung out a lot.
Was about to say, your Alb named sounded damn familiar. Were you a mercenary or am I way off?

Kuriin
01-03-2014, 06:56 PM
No, you're thinking of Chaz. I was the cleric.

Janx
01-03-2014, 07:04 PM
No, you're thinking of Chaz. I was the cleric.
Yeah right after I posted I knew I was probably wrong.

Delicateflower
01-03-2014, 07:41 PM
Where do you guesstimate that mid will be overpop? Only hint i see is forum post count from each realm and alb is top, then that other one, then mid

Kuriin
01-03-2014, 07:54 PM
If it's literally classic version, then it will be Albion and then Midgard. Hibernia was always the red-headed stepchild. Sorcerers were OP in the beginning and would do a rape train of about a hundred enemies. Then came Midgard with the chain stun from Healers.

However, if those had been patched, then it should be a little more even.

wormie
01-03-2014, 08:02 PM
Actually healers were OP in the beginning and sorcs were shitty and one of the least played classes on albion. The least played class was probably piercing mercs which i happened to play ;0. Anyway i hope for the sake of all of you exp gain is not the nightmare it was when the game started. I was one of the first to hit 50 on lancelot and i remember sitting in wights 12 hours a day for 4-5 bubbles a day from 41 to 50. This was before barrows was even itemized and when my sole duty was to shoot shit with a short bow to pull since mercs sucked a massive dick.

sticktastic
01-03-2014, 08:13 PM
I see server isnt up, do we have a date on when thats happening? I cant see one anywhere on the forums

Delicateflower
01-03-2014, 08:20 PM
I see server isnt up, do we have a date on when thats happening? I cant see one anywhere on the forums

Main admin is teasing people with a guess the date the server will launch game, cant be that far off

Early january is official release date from admins

Kuriin
01-03-2014, 08:23 PM
Sorcerers were OP because they could chain mesmerize without any diminishing returns. Same with healers.

wormie
01-03-2014, 08:30 PM
Healers were much more OP. They had stun as well as mez. Sorcs received a buff before they became popular if i remember correctly. I do remember that, 100%, no one played sorcs on Lancelot at launch.

Kedwyn
01-03-2014, 08:35 PM
Iirc Sorcs were weak because they lacked instant casts that the other side had and were in cloth. Later on they extended the range of their mez as a little welfare.

wormie
01-03-2014, 08:39 PM
Oh yeah thats right. I dont think sorcs came to real power until the pvp abilities were introduces and they could insta their mez and/or not be interrupted when casting it.

Kuriin
01-03-2014, 08:48 PM
Healers were OP but sorcerers were stronger in that they could nuke as well. This is coming from someone who played Hibernia in the beginning and had to deal with both sides, lol. Healers were more annoying though because they had base AE stuns.

Grumpus
01-03-2014, 09:02 PM
Are people able to log in and make characters? I have everything installed/patched and I keep getting kicked with a sliver left on the log in splash screen.

Penance
01-03-2014, 09:17 PM
I played a wizard on merlin. Joined andred and went paci healer with my guild. After they quit rolled a sorc and they were by far the most op class on that server. Aoe mez. A deubuff for your main nuke. And a speed buff. You could take out whole groups.

Kedwyn
01-03-2014, 09:20 PM
Healers were OP but sorcerers were stronger in that they could nuke as well. This is coming from someone who played Hibernia in the beginning and had to deal with both sides, lol. Healers were more annoying though because they had base AE stuns.

I don't remember being scared of Sorcs at all. IIRC they had a cast time to their Mez and were very susceptible to getting instant stunned and instant mezzed right after and didn't have much of a chance to cast shit when everyone was roaming at speed 6 or whatever it was. Didn't leave much time to get anything off cast wise. Their nukes weren't all that great either at least compared to PBAOE groups and other much more efficient means to destroy unmoving enemies.

Albion got the short end of the CC stick big time.

Gecko
01-03-2014, 09:26 PM

Once they buffed them, a well played Sorcerer could actually take down a good group, and it did happen sometimes on Percival where I played. It was always amusing watching a Ranger or Shadowblade try to take a well played Sorcerer down.

However, they were generally a speed bump to a Skald, 2 Zerks, Shaman, and Healer. Midgard groups were the easiest to synergize and gank with, by far. It's why most of us assume Midgard will be the most popular realm for older players.

The first two months my Champion was death. Then they nerfed the debuff and Champs pretty much sucked thereafter. Same scoop for Druids, who had their pets nerfed to nothingness in the first 60 days.

Mythics class balancing was really awful pretty much throughout the games life. I'm curious how things will look on this server and how classes will play. I haven't fired up DAOC since Andred.

Delicateflower
01-03-2014, 09:29 PM
Are people able to log in and make characters? I have everything installed/patched and I keep getting kicked with a sliver left on the log in splash screen.

Theyre working on fixing their launcher, but say that you can log in using the dawn of light portal (the little prog you start uthgard with)

I copied the folder i installed not to fuck with it, used DoL on it and im getting the same thing you are, loading screen to 95% then nothing

Duppin
01-03-2014, 11:12 PM
Think I went by Pilferr. Was a Friar in Stout.

I think I talked to you some too, although I'll be damned if I can remember what my friar's name was.

Achtung
01-03-2014, 11:30 PM
Am looking forward to giving this a shot. Never played DAOC the first time around, as I was in an every-night Eq raiding guild, but I hear nothing but happy nostalgia stories from people.

Lost Ranger
01-03-2014, 11:33 PM
Am looking forward to giving this a shot. Never played DAOC the first time around, as I was in an every-night Eq raiding guild, but I hear nothing but happy nostalgia stories from people.

Just do yourself a favor and try to get in with a guild/group quickly. The happy nostalgia stories are almost always RvR related. 1-50 can be PAINFUL if you try to do it solo. Even good solo classes are very slow. Speed isn't really the issue either, the pve is pretty bland. One big exception being Darkness Falls which is still one of the best dungeons ever made.

Kuriin
01-04-2014, 12:22 AM
I guess I was one of the few that really hated Darkness Falls. I found the PvE to be pretty bad, lol. Though, ganking people when they were exping was always fun.

Duppin
01-04-2014, 12:24 AM
DF was boring, had bad pathing, and made pretty much all other PvE loot pointless.

Delicateflower
01-04-2014, 12:36 AM
Messing around with uthgard, still conflicted about what to roll. Been told in game that bonedancers and spiritmaster are good at pvp as well as soloing. XD

Just dont wanna make a bad choice where ill get left out of either pvp or pve groups

Penance
01-04-2014, 12:48 AM
If you didn't like darkness falls then you didn't like daoc

Kuriin
01-04-2014, 01:23 AM
Haha, I was in one of the top gank squads on all three realms on Galahad as well as the PvE leader of the realm. Played from beginning all the way up to New Frontiers. Darkness Falls are blah.

In regards to BM and SM, they are good at PvE. SMs are much better at PvP (well, later on they are).

Delicateflower
01-04-2014, 01:29 AM
Haha, I was in one of the top gank squads on all three realms on Galahad as well as the PvE leader of the realm. Played from beginning all the way up to New Frontiers. Darkness Falls are blah.

In regards to BM and SM, they are good at PvE. SMs are much better at PvP (well, later on they are).

K now im hesitating between SM, war and beserker lol

Read that war with +15 str hits hard, but when i check stats at creation, theres 0 in pool, so u need to retract or its something u do later on

Thx for the tips all btw

Kuriin
01-04-2014, 01:30 AM
Berserkers are better when they become bears (similar to Blademaster's deer mode). But, those modes are not vanilla and I think they're actually a little before Atlantis or even during. Warrior won't be doing much in PvP if that's what you're hoping to do.

wormie
01-04-2014, 01:35 AM
K now im hesitating between SM, war and beserker lol

Read that war with +15 str hits hard, but when i check stats at creation, theres 0 in pool, so u need to retract or its something u do later on

Thx for the tips all btw

the +15 is from one of the races i am sure.

Delicateflower
01-04-2014, 01:59 AM
Any tips for SM speccing? I think thats what ill be rolling now, tried a bit of classes on uthgard. If i remember correctly DAOC is kind of a pain in the ass for classes because u need to choose specs and cant put em on the backburner for after youve learned the game

ill go scout for tips on uth forums as well

Are there sound mods for that game? Old graphics are allrite but damn those Yarz revenge sounds

Xequecal
01-04-2014, 03:05 AM
I'm wondering if they're going to simplify the PvE endgame. People bitch about ToA, but SI endgame PvE items are also pretty gamebreaking, especially if you use them in ways they're not intended. The Albion cleric chestpiece has a ~1200 HP HoT heal reactive proc, which is more than half your HP total. It's not so bad if you equip it on a cleric, but put it on a melee class and it's a problem. Without buff bots it's almost impossible to actually kill someone wearing one of these 1v1 as a melee class.

It's hard to say what class to pick without knowing exactly what version they're using. But if they're using Old Frontiers RAs and the state of the game just before ToA release, play a Paladin. Get ACTool to twist your chants perfectly, you have super-easy leveling and you'll be bonkers overpowered in PvP. If nobody has buff bots and you can get a Sidi chest you can pretty easily 1v4 groups of stealthers.

Also, if you're going to play any kind of caster: Pick the race with the highest starting Dexterity and put ALL your additional creation points into Dexterity. Cast time in DAoC is based on Dexterity and spells in DAoC have breakpoints where being above X amount of Dexterity makes them cast like 25% faster, doing this is the difference between 1.5 and 2 second cast time spells when fully buffed.

Duppin
01-04-2014, 03:10 AM
Armsman were pretty bad, right? I always wanted to swing a bigass polearm.

Kuriin
01-04-2014, 03:15 AM
Delicate, I would recommend you read this: Dark Age Of Camelot: BEING A SUPPRESSION SPIRITMASTER 101 | WarCry (http://www.warcry.com/news/view/9425) and Class Focus: Spiritmaster. Let's have a discussion! | IGN Boards (http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/class-focus-spiritmaster-lets-have-a-discussion.452435858/)

Duppin, Armsman were actually quite good if you used polearms. Aside from that, useless.

Duppin
01-04-2014, 03:19 AM
Yeah? Hmmm. I would think they might be bad in PvE due to lack of healing. Hopefully they give XP bonuses or something to help PvE on this server, so you can get to the good stuff.

Xequecal
01-04-2014, 03:23 AM
Armsman were pretty bad, right? I always wanted to swing a bigass polearm.

Compared to Paladins in Old Frontiers? Yeah they're complete shit. Both classes don't do much of anything on keep sieges, but that's true of all melee classes.

I'm not sure if the celerity line of buffs and chants are implemented yet at whatever historical point this server is starting at, but if it is.....just play a Paladin and dominate everything. The way DAoC's melee system works, celerity will double your DPS. Midgard's celerity is on the Healer and is a concentration buff, which means if buff bots are banned you will never face it unless you're up against a well-organized 8-man group that actually can spare a spot for a full enhancement-specced Healer.

I had so much fun with this in old-school DAoC, the Celerity chant as a Paladin lets you equip a 6 second delay two-hander and haste it all the way down to the speed cap of 1.5 seconds. With a hybrid shield/2-hand spec, that lets you hit them with Slam, (9 second stun) swap in the two-hander, and get 5 free hits on them. This will outright kill the vast majority of classes in the game. Paladins also get three insta-full heals from OF RAs, one of which full-heals the entire group as well.

Kuriin
01-04-2014, 03:24 AM
Thought you were talking about PvP, lol. They're DPS, so they are OK in PvE. Polearms are slow but deal massive damage.

Delicateflower
01-04-2014, 03:44 AM
Found this on origins forums

"old ra´s, old frontiers, classik+si zones and classes, and the rvr patchdate is 1.62, so a bit lesser than uthgard, but much more friendly in pve, everything new which could influence the ´´old rvr´´ wont be implemented.
but the gms are very patient to ideas of the community."

and

"we got a kind of NF guards like healers stealthers a.s.o. but in the old frontiers.
but every keep got a sense, since we have a working relic keep system where every keep owned spawns additional ´´superguards´´ at the relic which makes it really interresting."

Not sure what it means exactly but sounds like important info

Astral Projection
01-04-2014, 04:04 AM
Played both Healer and Spiritmaster to high RR level back in the day. Both were in-demand in both PVP and PVE. Spiritmaster solos well with pet, great for AOE groups which are very fast XP/loot. Healers are OP with spread heals, aoe mez, aoe stun. If you want everyone begging you to be in their group though, roll a Healer.

Janx
01-04-2014, 04:34 AM
So it appears the server is up (I used DAOCPortal to get in). Am I rolling mid or alb?

Duppin
01-04-2014, 04:39 AM
It seems like a lot of people here are rolling mid, but eh. I never liked it there. Too dark and it tends to be where the people who consider themselves "leet peeveepeeers" go. If I try this out, it'll probably be on Alb.

Janx
01-04-2014, 04:40 AM
Looks like all the classes are in too btw. Noticed heritic/warlock/valk etc.. which were post TOA.

Duppin
01-04-2014, 04:41 AM
I wonder if they're all broken like they were on Uthgaard.

Eidal
01-04-2014, 04:42 AM
So it appears the server is up (I used DAOCPortal to get in). Am I rolling mid or alb?

Pretty sure this is still open beta?

Melicant
01-04-2014, 04:49 AM
Berserkers are better when they become bears (similar to Blademaster's deer mode). But, those modes are not vanilla and I think they're actually a little before Atlantis or even during. Warrior won't be doing much in PvP if that's what you're hoping to do.

This server is running the Left Axe nerf patch (pretty major LA damage nerf). Berserk is in, but I believe it's the nerfed crit damage one (1-99% dmg instead of 49-99%). Bladesmasters didn't have the deer mode, they had triple wield. The hib tank (hero) had the stag mode which increased health. Warrior is one of the most solid melee classes in all of DAOC in both PVE and PvP. Every decent group runs at least one warrior in mid, and they do fantastic damage (don't need to spec 1h/2h, just weapon type). With 1.62 I'd actually suggest a savage if you want to play a mid light tank and have a solid set group. They are pretty horrible without dedicated heals though.

Janx
01-04-2014, 04:56 AM
Yeah looks like its old school. You dont start as classes, still have to do the mage/acololyte/fighter etc.. chain. Doubt there will be trainers for those classes.

Melicant
01-04-2014, 05:06 AM
Pretty sure this is still open beta?

Correct, still open beta with a character wipe coming at launch.

Nightmare
01-04-2014, 05:25 AM
How's the ping and connection quality?

Delicateflower
01-04-2014, 05:54 AM
I think theres an issue right now because player counts been at 13 for hours, Youd think so close to launch people would be logging in to test stuff. I would but cant so messing around on uth instead

Fierlen
01-04-2014, 06:30 AM
If it is in fact Old Frontiers and the Old RA's, everyone may as well play a melee without a very solid dedicated group. Almost every solid 8 man group around that time would run 3 light tanks (Mercenary, Berserker, Blademaster and maybe Savage) due to Determination and Charge. If you aren't in a dedicated bomb group and you still feel the need to play a caster, create one of the caster classes which can cast Nearsight. It had no cure during 1.62, it interrupts, casts fast and has a much greater range than basically any other spell in the game. Casters were mainly there only in a solid 8 man group for interrupts and Nearsight was your best tool unless the bugged insta-cast spells which interrupted are included.

If you decide to play Albion and Necromancers are playable, some of the spells are considered to be cast by a mob rather than a player due to the way that the DoT works. Cast the Necromancer DoT on an opposing caster and it will permanently interrupt for around 24 seconds since it interrupted each tick.

Just some things I remember from playing around that time for what it is worth.

Kharza-kzad
01-04-2014, 07:44 AM
I was Kharzette the friar on galahad in hoss. o/

I am old and senile and forget people but your names sound familiar, and I certainly remember Stout.

Duppin
01-04-2014, 10:22 AM
Anybody actually been able to log into this yet?

Xequecal
01-04-2014, 10:45 AM
Yeah, if they're running 1.62, play Midgard. Caster groups are useless because you can't CC det/charge light tanks or even slow them down at all, and Midgard has the best melee classes. If I remember correctly in this patch Midgard has celerity but the other realms don't have it at all, which means their melees do probably double the damage of all the other melees.

Duppin
01-04-2014, 10:49 AM
From their forums:

"The Origins staff are not opponents of customization, however, our goal is to make our server as live like as possible in the area of Realm vs Realm (RvR). For RvR purposes, we have selected patch 1.62 as the target patch. We want our Realm Abilities (RAs) to be true to patch 1.62. We want our class abilities to be true to 1.62. If you, our valued testers, find class abilities, or RAs or gear to NOT be true to patch 1.62, PLEASE DO REPORT IT!"

I actually might try Hib, because I never played there at ALL.

Delicateflower
01-04-2014, 11:47 AM
det/charge light tanks

Translation?

Also, for those who get stuck at the end of the loading screen, probably forgot to patch the game with their patcher like i did, which u get just under the client download link.

Once they got their launcher running this wont be necessary but it is till then

Duppin
01-04-2014, 01:28 PM
So, got in and played this some tonight.

At least as far as Hibernia goes, it's definitely not ready for prime time. Lots of quests broken or in the wrong language, missing horse routes, etc.

The gameplay seems alright but it's hard to tell for sure.

Tenks
01-04-2014, 03:04 PM
IIRC the issue with Armsman is that they were the worst of the three tanks in the game. I can't remember everything but I thought it was common to spec up to 50 in poles and then 50 in pierce (or slash?) so you weren't left with many points to put into the defensive aspects. I also recall them having some of the worse styles. I'm pretty sure Hero was the best RvR tank thanks to the 50 LW style that did a 9sec stun (basically Bard would AoE Mez then the hero would just 50 LW the mezzer, then healer then you just fight a completely one-sided fight) and the Warrior (or whatever Mid's tank was) was by far the best PvE tank because he had access to 1H and 2H weapons down a single line. So you could spec heavily in both weapon and shield.

Kuriin
01-04-2014, 03:38 PM
Savage? That does not sound like original DAoC to me. I don't even recognize that class.

I guess Galahad had many of the classes that people are saying sucked. We had one specific polearmsman and sorcerer from the same guild (Hoss or Stout, one of the two) and they wrecked several groups. LeftAxe was OP. Scouts were OP because they pretty much one-shot casters. Anything rogue were OP (especially midgard's rogue) because they would stay stealth after assassination.

Though, it sounds like this server is not running classic and they will probably be opening all of the classes from the get go. That's a pass for me, lol.

Janx
01-04-2014, 03:49 PM
Savage was a SI class for midguard. DAOC up to SI + old frontiers would be perfect imo.

Kuriin
01-04-2014, 03:57 PM
That's probably why. I want classic DAoC. :( I don't mind progression. But, I want it purely classic.

Tenks
01-04-2014, 04:06 PM
SI made leveling to max much, much better. There are tons more quests to do in SI compared to classic and none of the expansion classes really modified RvR too much.

Kuriin
01-04-2014, 04:08 PM
I will admit though, SI had some of the most beautiful environments I've ever seen in a game. Actually, most of the PvE in SI were also incredibly difficult if I remembered correctly.

Tenks
01-04-2014, 04:12 PM
There were some pretty cool and somewhat difficult dungeons in SI, yes. It was a very, very well done expansion. Mythic should have just realized that players want content like that instead of ToA. I think outside of a few weapons the "best" items in the game was still MP + Enchanted gear for RvR.

Xequecal
01-04-2014, 04:17 PM
Translation?

Also, for those who get stuck at the end of the loading screen, probably forgot to patch the game with their patcher like i did, which u get just under the client download link.

Once they got their launcher running this wont be necessary but it is till then

Determination is an ability that reduces the duration of crowd control spells by something like 80%, I forget the exact number.

Charge makes you immune to crowd control and makes you run at speed 3.

Casters are completely pointless against charge groups as you just get steamrolled over, you can't crowd control them and they're faster than you. Even if you do get the drop on them first, Determination means your CC lasts 4 seconds and then they just hit charge and roll you anyways.

All 3 realms can run charge groups but I'm fairly certain that in 1.62 only Midgard got celerity buffs. Since Midgard has the highest-DPS melee classes to begin with and haste stacks exponentially in DAoC, they're probably doing double the DPS of everyone else.

Eidal
01-04-2014, 04:28 PM
Determination is an ability that reduces the duration of crowd control spells by something like 80%, I forget the exact number.

Charge makes you immune to crowd control and makes you run at speed 3.

Casters are completely pointless against charge groups as you just get steamrolled over, you can't crowd control them and they're faster than you. Even if you do get the drop on them first, Determination means your CC lasts 4 seconds and then they just hit charge and roll you anyways.

All 3 realms can run charge groups but I'm fairly certain that in 1.62 only Midgard got celerity buffs. Since Midgard has the highest-DPS melee classes to begin with and haste stacks exponentially in DAoC, they're probably doing double the DPS of everyone else.

This sounds fucking retarded -- why would a dev team pick this patch to release on? Also, another sign of massive Midgard pop imbalance is how many more bug reports Midgard's forum has on their site.

Tenks
01-04-2014, 04:38 PM
He's overstating Charge. The issue with Charge is it is great if you aren't already CC'd. But as anyone who played DAOC knows you are going to get CC'd all the fucking time. So you need to combine Purge (remove the CC) with Charge to use it effectively. And that is a ton of RR. From my experience with 5 man gank grouping it is all about who gets the drop and places the AOE mez initially. That generally decides the battle from the get-go.

The biggest issue with Mid being the best gank group realm is the fact Healer gets AOE mez and AOE stun. I can't recall if the Healer also got the instant AOE mez or not.

Eidal
01-04-2014, 04:44 PM
He's overstating Charge. The issue with Charge is it is great if you aren't already CC'd. But as anyone who played DAOC knows you are going to get CC'd all the fucking time. So you need to combine Purge (remove the CC) with Charge to use it effectively. And that is a ton of RR. From my experience with 5 man gank grouping it is all about who gets the drop and places the AOE mez initially. That generally decides the battle from the get-go.

The biggest issue with Mid being the best gank group realm is the fact Healer gets AOE mez and AOE stun. I can't recall if the Healer also got the instant AOE mez or not.

Yea, I rolled Midgard on DAOC release but no one really new how imba anything was. Healers are one of the most powerful classes I've ever seen in a pvp game. Massive CC, heals, run speed, clarity, buffs? You can build a group so easily with a good healer.

Tenks
01-04-2014, 04:47 PM
Didn't healers only have poor man speed? I thought Skald was the class giving real speed. But yeah they combined much you needed in a nice little package.

Xequecal
01-04-2014, 05:08 PM

That's what Determination is for. Stun lasts less than half a second and mez lasts 4-5 with maxed out Det on a light tank.

Healers get AoE mez, AoE stun, and insta-cast versions of both. However that's all in Pacification spec and if they really manage to enforce the ban on buffbots I don't think you'll be seeing too many of those. You need an Aug-spec Healer for buffs and then if you run a Pac-spec Healer for CC you don't have any actual healers in your group.

The real problem is Healers grant Celerity and DAoC has directly additive percentage stacking of haste buffs. 250 Quickness gives you 80% base delay, and the regular haste buff is 20% which brings you down to 60% base delay. Healers get 20% Celerity which stacks bringing their melees down to 40% of base delay, or 150% the damage of everyone else. That's on top of the fact that Midgard's melee classes do more DPS baseline.

Penance
01-04-2014, 06:45 PM
I thought they gave druids celerity. I loved the class design in daoc. But it was so imbalanced. obviously like everyone said midgard is especially op. But nobody had classes like daoc. Thuergists and necros and animists and bonedancers

Kuriin
01-04-2014, 06:46 PM
Yeah, healers had poor man's speed which required a concentration to even use. Most people brought along skalds for the speed. Concentration buffs were the only thing I hated about DAoC.

Xequecal
01-04-2014, 07:17 PM
I thought they gave druids celerity. I loved the class design in daoc. But it was so imbalanced. obviously like everyone said midgard is especially op. But nobody had classes like daoc. Thuergists and necros and animists and bonedancers

Druids have regular haste. Every realm gets multiple haste buffs, but different kinds of haste buff don't stack. Celerity stacks with haste which is why it's so good, and in 1.62 only Midgard gets it. They added it to Paladins and Wardens in 1.83.

Kharza-kzad
01-04-2014, 07:52 PM
Savages got big big benefits from buffs. I wish I had done screenshots of all the times I was killed in a single round by them. It really got old fast.

Penance
01-04-2014, 10:17 PM
Yea I don't think I'm gonna play in that patch. Just gonna be one big midgard zerg fest.

Delicateflower
01-05-2014, 12:00 AM
Posted some feedback about 1.62 on their forums to see what they think

Lost Ranger
01-05-2014, 02:36 AM
This is one of the reasons I prefer servers like IPY3 when it comes to old MMOs. The people running it need to be willing to abandon the idea that it HAS to be just like it was on live. Because how it was on live was broken. Something that old school DAoC players are going to know and will exploit. Midgard will roll over everyone without some custom changes to the mechanics. I can understand wanting it to be as authentic as possible, but DAoC was FAR from perfect and it would be a mistake to just let the biggest imbalances go untouched. They don't have to aim for perfect balance. Part of the fun was the imbalances, but they can't destroy competition in the name of authenticity.

Delicateflower
01-05-2014, 02:52 AM
Well topic is here if you guys who think you have good input to give on balance want to speak up before it goes live Login (http://daoc-origins.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2952)

Delicateflower
01-05-2014, 04:42 AM
From origins forums

" Top wrote:Why are you guys talking about charge? That RA doesn't exist in old RAs................

EXACTLY!

Charge does not exist for light tanks in Old RA's. Casters will actually be able to do more then spend half a battle running from un-CC'able light tanks the whole fight. At the same time, though, hybrids like Reavers/Paladins/Thanes/Valewalker don't get Determination... so playing one of those will be a risky proposition.

And IIRC, Hib gets a group purge RR5 ability... game, set, match.

Every realm will have some OP combinations I would say."

wormie
01-05-2014, 07:38 AM
I miss my mordred minstrel :( Is anyone at all here going alb?

Duppin
01-05-2014, 07:53 AM
I think the general consensus at this point is that this server isn't going to be worth bothering with. Terrible population and a deliberately picked patch to favor the creators' favorite realm.

Gecko
01-05-2014, 02:04 PM
I think the general consensus at this point is that this server isn't going to be worth bothering with. Terrible population and a deliberately picked patch to favor the creators' favorite realm.

I'm not sure this is true at all. The Left Axe nerfs are in place, DPS is fairly consistent, and overall I think this is a good patch to aim for overall.

Yes, Midgard will have an easier time, but if they really wanted it to roll they'd do it pre LA nerf. Midgard will have a simpler time with gank groups, but when is this not the case for DAOC, given the really bad design of healers.

Barab
01-05-2014, 02:16 PM
rvr was never completely balanced and even if it was some players would find something about it to cry about.

Melicant
01-05-2014, 02:54 PM

Where are you people getting this? I'm beginning to wonder if some of you even know what patch the server is running, or even played the game. 1.62 was the patch where midgard wept. It was a massive nerf to Left Axe damage (like 40%). Balanced alb and hib 8 mans were creating massive whines over their dominance at the time. Alb was the only realm with Bunker of Faith and Speed of Sound, two RA's that were ideal for fighting mid tank groups. The patch actually forced midgard to run some balanced groups. Hib had group purge and AM. Do you people seriously not remember the whines over BoF x 2 and group purge x2?

gox
01-05-2014, 04:20 PM
Im rolling Hib just because mid will be the OP realm as usual and this is more for fun and not epeen. Anyone who is rolling there let me know.

Fierlen
01-05-2014, 05:12 PM
I have to agree with Melicant. All three realms could run good melee groups in 1.62. It was always more difficult in Albion because you needs 5 classes (clericx2, paladin, minstrel and sorcerer), I think, to bring everything you needs for the group so it only left you with three slots instead of Mid where you needed four (healerx2, shaman and skald), and Hibernia where you only needed three (druidx2 and bard) which left you much more flexibility. Not to mention as has been brought up, the Realm Rank 5 AA's like Group Purge, BoF and SoS were vastly superior to their Midgard counterparts.

As I recall, one of the really big complains about 1.62 as well was the range limit put on the Midgard Shaman Endo regen buff. With no one being able to run a buff bot it becomes a pain to buff a full group as a shaman and makes a played shaman go deeper in to the Augmentation(?) spec instead of heals, or the root and disease line. With a no buff bot server, Albion is going to be further punished by having to run a Friar to have full resist buffs and fill out their base buffs since a group won't be able to base and spec buff with just 2 Clerics. Friars are good soloers but bring nothing of value except buffs to a good 8-man group since they don't get Determination and can't cast at range. It sounds like Hibernia is the perfect realm for the competitive 8-man group since they have the most flexibility as well as Group Purgex2. You would have no shortage of targets instead playing Midgard where you try to find something the Mid Zerg missed.

Charge only became an AA after the New Frontiers AA revamp. It was passively granted to Light Tanks around level 35. Light Tanks could then dump all their AA points into Determination and have Determination 5 by around RR 3L2 or something like that. It took a day or two of play in a good group for Light Tanks to essentially be immune to CC.

Kharza-kzad
01-06-2014, 09:19 AM
Friars should have had determination from the beginning. Don't think we ever got it.

We were mighty in darkness falls though by ourselves :D

Gecko
01-06-2014, 11:43 AM
What patch were the 'Dreds on? I remember the Hibernia caster bomb groups and they seemed pretty devastating against the Mid melee groups.

I never ran solo, so it was always amusing when our group ran over a Friar.. Usually next to a dead Shadowblade.

Kuriin
01-06-2014, 02:30 PM
What yuo talking about, dreds? Everyone had some form of PBAE, one was the enchanter and then you had a strong DD from eldritch and mentalist.

Gecko
01-06-2014, 03:58 PM
I mean the Mordred and Andred FFA servers. I had quit DAOC for a while, but I started again and played for a few months with PRX on there as a Ranger. I think it was Conquest who ran a Hibernia caster group that pretty much just ran around AOEing massive amounts of people to death in a very effective manner.

That server didn't last long but it was a lot of fun for the few months I played there.

Tonic
01-06-2014, 07:01 PM
You are all bastards for making me want to play this game again.

Hatorade
01-06-2014, 07:30 PM
Never played this enough to do all the cool stuff, may give this a go as Mid Healer(shaman) if not enough peeps to group with.

Melicant
01-06-2014, 08:48 PM
Pretty close to the RA's that should be on the server as it is the closest date after 1.62 that had a snapshot:

http://web.archive.org/web/20030610073003/http://camelotherald.com/realmabilities/

pointyboot
01-07-2014, 12:58 AM
Finally got a chance to hop on this server last night. As I mentioned before, I have never played DAOC before so I had no expectations. I rolled up a friar. Two minutes into game and I get a group invite. We head off through some portal and start killing skeletons and shit. The other folks in the the group were very patient with me and helped me along, even passing me a shield and a helm. Unfortunately I only had an hour or so to play but I had a fucking blast.

I'm more of a PvE guy so who knows how long I'll stick around but the experience hit the nostalgia button big time.

Lost Ranger
01-07-2014, 03:21 AM
That is the only way to play the game imo. DAoC can be one of the most rewarding MMO experiences, or one of the dullest. The PVE is just awful, but get a group together and the pve isn't that bad. Have a dedicated group/guild for RvR and you'll lose a few months of your life easy. :p

Delicateflower
01-07-2014, 03:35 AM
I dont see whats that awful about the PVE, its kind of grindy but mobs didnt strike me as particularly bland, etc... seemed to me some dungeon crawling + mob camps while i learn the game for pvp, on course for the MMOs i usually play

Lost Ranger
01-07-2014, 04:09 AM
See that is just it though. You don't really learn the game from their pve. There was nothing particularly exciting, or challenging about any of the original content. I can't remember a single time during their pve that I felt hard pressed and had to play at the top of my game. It is all pretty generic and boring, and none of it prepares you for the actual focus of the game which is RvR. It was basically EQ-lite without the payoff. If you happen to be with a established guild you also didn't need any gear from mobs/quests. Could have entire sets made up quickly, and cheaply that would carry you from 5-50 no sweat.

The real killer for me though is that the game was ultimately a pvp game. If I wanted to sit and camp mobs for 12 hours a day, or crawl dungeons EQ was just a subscription a way and far better at both. I played DAoC for the RvR, and once I finally got to the RvR the game became one of my all time favorites. I just remember the boring ass grind for what it was and even nostalgia can't get me to do it again. :D

moontayle
01-07-2014, 04:10 AM
DAoC to me was sort of in that transition period between the epic grind EQ was at the time and what things ended up being in WoW Vanilla. Long but not overly long, at least not until the 40s. I spent many a night camping groups of mobs in that final zone. And it could definitely get challenging if shit went sideways on a pull. DAoC had exp loss in so you did get punished for being stupid.

Lost Ranger
01-07-2014, 04:12 AM
Yeah, the 40s are what I remember the most. Fucking brutal depending on your class.

Edit: To be fair my very first experience with DAoC was Hibernia. The realm was not only not finished at launch, it had a horrific linear design that just added to the dullness imo. Then toss playing a Nightshade on top of that and you can see how I REALLY wanted the PVE nonsense to end so I could RvR exclusively.

I moved to Albion later on and the leveling experience was noticeably better. Everything from realm design to atmosphere helped a lot.

Gecko
01-07-2014, 02:09 PM
I had to jump through hoops to get the game running today post patch. They really need to streamline the install of this guy. The MySQL, Version Conflicts, and .NET errors seem to be commonplace.

I hope they take the time to fix this, as the server could be quite fun, but right now it's going to scare away many non tech types.

Hatorade
01-07-2014, 06:40 PM
This isn't free2play yet? The trial is beyond lame, no mounts or crafting at all... really? Pass.

Brikker
01-07-2014, 07:00 PM
I thought this was an EMU...

Hatorade
01-07-2014, 08:18 PM
I thought this was an EMU...

Bleh it is, one of the links brought me to the official site and I am retarded.

Will be on tonight for some Midgard Healer action, likely named Hatorade unless taken, would love to get a group going.

Kharza-kzad
01-07-2014, 10:35 PM
Yea stuff is broken.56099

pyksel
01-07-2014, 10:37 PM
The fix for that error Kharza-kzad is in the same post that you got the link from to download the new launcher.

Read me (http://daoc-origins.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2969)

"If you are getting the MySql error you need to download the latest version."
http://dev.mysql.com/get/Downloads/Connector-Net/mysql-connector-net-6.8.3.msi
If you already have a previous version you need to uninstall the old one before you can install the new one.

Kyougou
01-07-2014, 10:42 PM
The server that is up right now is supposed to be just a open beta test and expected to reset for the proper launch of the server, right?

Gecko
01-07-2014, 10:46 PM
As far as I understand it they are still testing things, and the server will be wiped.

I'll be on as some form of Mid melee named Rondel. Not sure which, yet.

Hatorade
01-08-2014, 02:55 PM
The server that is up right now is supposed to be just a open beta test and expected to reset for the proper launch of the server, right?

I hope so, showed 13 people playing last night. Also when trying to patch the files via launcher I got a could not locate tmp/gamesomething.dll. Will install the patch manually tonight to see if that works.

Melicant
01-08-2014, 03:29 PM
It's still in beta with a wipe coming before release. They have said there are still some bugs (including launcher problems) they want to fix before the launch.

Nirgon
01-08-2014, 05:04 PM
LMK if Hunters, Bonedancers etc all work here correctly and if its peak is on anything resembling a US time zone unlike DoorQuest during my time on Uthgard.

Gecko
01-08-2014, 05:44 PM
I hope so, showed 13 people playing last night. Also when trying to patch the files via launcher I got a could not locate tmp/gamesomething.dll. Will install the patch manually tonight to see if that works.

Yeah, there were only 12 on in Midgard when I was there, too. I think some of that is its beta and they're going to wipe the server. They also need to drum up more interest for the server. I'm still holding out hope they use 3x or 4x experience for the game. I really don't want to level to 50 again at original DAOC speed.

Kharza-kzad
01-08-2014, 05:49 PM
I made a hibby at random and blasted down a few curmudgeonry assbanditrogs outside mag mell. Do you need like one account per realm if you want to switch sides?

Hatorade
01-08-2014, 06:23 PM
Yeah, there were only 12 on in Midgard when I was there, too. I think some of that is its beta and they're going to wipe the server. They also need to drum up more interest for the server. I'm still holding out hope they use 3x or 4x experience for the game. I really don't want to level to 50 again at original DAOC speed.

More XP would really go a long way, especially with the no boxing/buff bots rule.

Melicant
01-08-2014, 06:50 PM
There are a few vocal people on their forums trying to actually get the XP slowed because they think it increases community. I know of a few dozen people right now that won't even roll there if the XP rate is original DAOC. Their server would actually be booming if you could mostly level through BG's and do it fairly quickly, but some people just don't seem to get that. Some discussions on leveling speed here:

http://daoc-origins.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3043

Melicant
01-08-2014, 06:53 PM
I made a hibby at random and blasted down a few curmudgeonry assbanditrogs outside mag mell. Do you need like one account per realm if you want to switch sides?

Rules are one realm only, so you would actually have to delete your hibs if you wanted to play something else (they track accounts by IP, only 1 account per household without permission). Kind of sucks, but I don't think they have the mechanisms in place to prevent cross realming (like no realm switching for 24 hours).

Kharza-kzad
01-08-2014, 07:00 PM
Ah ok that is fine. So I guess if you delete your characters the realm box pops back up? I'll try it in a bit.

Jackie Treehorn
01-08-2014, 07:14 PM
The only way I'll even try this is if leveling is fast. I remember quitting DAOC very quickly back in the day because the low level PvE was so goddamn boring. I just want to try out the RvR stuff because I never saw it.

Hatorade
01-08-2014, 07:51 PM
There are a few vocal people on their forums trying to actually get the XP slowed because they think it increases community. I know of a few dozen people right now that won't even roll there if the XP rate is original DAOC. Their server would actually be booming if you could mostly level through BG's and do it fairly quickly, but some people just don't seem to get that. Some discussions on leveling speed here:

http://daoc-origins.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3043

Trying really hard to stay interested and throw support at XP increase but the elitist assholes are making that tough going.

Gecko
01-08-2014, 08:35 PM
Trying really hard to stay interested and throw support at XP increase but the elitist assholes are making that tough going.

I added a post at the end <I'm ledron there>. It's baffling to me why an old game with extremely poor PVE in an EMU setting that should be focused on group vs group and RVR would want to extend the pain and have experience be gained at the original rate.

Melicant
01-08-2014, 09:09 PM
I added a post at the end <I'm ledron there>. It's baffling to me why an old game with extremely poor PVE in an EMU setting that should be focused on group vs group and RVR would want to extend the pain and have experience be gained at the original rate.

It's because a couple of very vocal elitists want "nostalgia" and think they are going to get it by grinding xp together. Inevitably they will find most people that try the server are going to quit by level 10 and these PVE fans won't get to experience their PVE either because there won't be anyone to group with. They are supposedly putting in a grouping bonus, but good luck with that if you are playing a non-ideal group class or you start the server late. It looks like Eden EMU just launched again (start at level 20, and hit 50 in a few hours), but I believe it has full TOA items (you can claim like 5 of them for free), has open PvP, and it doesn't have the best history as far as stability (server wipes every 4-5 months). Despite its issues Eden is already catching up to Uthgard in population.

A "Classic" type server with the current BG's and leveling speed (can do it all through BG's if you want) and no TOA items/bonuses would probably put all these other EMU's to shame as far as population.

moontayle
01-08-2014, 09:10 PM
Trying to determine where my interest in this lies. DAoC was an outstanding game from the PvP standpoint. PvE not so much, obviously but even then it wasn't entirely without merit when they managed to get it right (Darkness Falls). I'm completely on board with evoking an old school feel, but I sure as shit don't want to spend the majority of my time in the PvE portion of the game and I certainly don't want to take two hours to get to level 5.

Melicant
01-08-2014, 09:28 PM
Running around auto-attacking for 2 hours isn't nostalgic? I just hope if they don't boost XP rates overall, they at least do it 1-20. Before level 20 DAOC is about as bland and boring as it gets for most of the classes. A lot of returning and new DAOC people are going to quit before ever hitting the good part of the game.

Skrigg
01-08-2014, 10:29 PM
Anyone know if the XP rates on Uthgard are the same as classic/SI? If so myself and some friends were able to level 1-50 in about 1.5 weeks of 8hr day play times. It wasn't really that bad.

Hatorade
01-09-2014, 09:08 PM
Got in to play last night got to level 2 in about 10-15 mins just auto attack, I may switch from healer to either Berserker or Savage. Just waiting for launch at this point.

Kharza-kzad
01-09-2014, 11:37 PM
I made a thane because I remember people saying they were terrible. Seems ok at level 5! :D

sticktastic
01-10-2014, 03:34 AM
Published 10 January 2014 | By Cody

The news you’ve been waiting for: Beta ends on January 14. The server goes live on January 16 @ 18:00 CET!
That’s 17:00 British time, Noon in North American Eastern time, 11 AM CST, 10 AM MST and 9 AM Pacific time (PST).
To determine your local time when it’s 18:00 in Paris (CET) use this Time Zone Converter: Time Zone Converter – Time Difference Calculator (http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html)

Hatorade
01-10-2014, 03:11 PM
Live on a Thursday works out for me but will have to see how my Path of Exile group is going.

Gecko
01-10-2014, 08:20 PM
I'm really not sure I'm into playing this. Base exp and PVE in Vanilla SI are really a huge disappointment. Also, the best part of DAOC is group vs group combat. Back in 2001 I played with the same people I played EQ with and we rocked. Most of them don't even game anymore, or are even more casual than I am.

I did like reading this on their forums:

The XP rate here is already faster than Uthgard, we will have SI zones, old RA's, and classes like the Necromancer and BoneDancer that Uthgard lacks. I think Origins can keep a healthy population as Uthgard. We'll see anyway!

So, anyone else besides Hatorade and I playing? Anyone interested in setting up some groups and maybe exping our way into a nice gank squad?

Lost Ranger
01-10-2014, 08:46 PM
I am still on the fence. Nostalgia is a powerful drug though!

Flobee
01-10-2014, 08:51 PM
I am still on the fence. Nostalgia is a powerful drug though!

Same boat, might wait and see what pop numbers look like on the first week or two

Delicateflower
01-10-2014, 09:26 PM
Im probably gonna roll a spiritmaster for some solo capability during off hours and i think feedback is that its a solid pvp class? Probably have 10+ people in this thread interested in playing

Hatorade
01-10-2014, 09:29 PM
Please post your preferred faction so I know where to go for best grouping.

Delicateflower
01-10-2014, 09:41 PM
Midgard

Ill update the thread on top with the names of people playing once server goes live

Gecko
01-10-2014, 10:25 PM
I'd prefer to do Albion. They have more interesting classes and better PVE. I'd like to play a Sorcerer. I'm assuming a majority of people will play Midgard, but if that's not the case I'd be interested in playing a Savage there.

moontayle
01-11-2014, 12:40 AM
Albion was always my preference. It struck a nice balance between the dark and brooding Midgard and the bright cheerfulness of Hibernia. Plus, you know, Friars.

Kaines
01-11-2014, 12:52 AM
If I do play for nostalgia, I will be rolling Albion. Love me some cleric.

Destante
01-11-2014, 02:08 AM
Will probably be playing a paladin/Alb, never played Daoc live but had a bit of fun messing around during this beta period and not playing anything else atm.

Nightmare
01-11-2014, 03:04 AM
If I play I'm going Alb for sure. Probably Mercenary

Hatorade
01-11-2014, 05:23 AM
Alb it is, got a RL friend that is going to play too.

Tonic
01-11-2014, 12:04 PM
I'll end up downloading and playing, but very sporadically (as I have the PoE bug still). Between work, commute, kid, wife, how the fuck do people play games when they get older? Party's fucking ovaahhh.

Hatorade
01-11-2014, 02:34 PM
I'll end up downloading and playing, but very sporadically (as I have the PoE bug still). Between work, commute, kid, wife, how the fuck do people play games when they get older? Party's fucking ovaahhh.

I sacrifice sleep all week sleep in on sat morning and repeat.

Tonic
01-11-2014, 03:31 PM
Someone on their forums made a pretty legit post about the ideal Alb setup -

That did happen with some groups I will admit but not all the time. Alb groups specifically would avoid until big RAs but they are also the ones with the strongest RAs. I know most people think Mid's are the strongest but this patch was the patch that mercs got buffed and they were extremely good. Only problem is it took some groups a bit longer to adapt them because they were crap for so long before then. I'd say a good alb group on origins will consist of atleast 2 mercs, with probably arms, 2 clerics, sorc, minstrel and the last spot would either be another merc or paladin.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the top alb group being 2 misntrels, 3 mercs, 1 arms, 2 clerics, and being one of the best setups on the server. With that setup you have all chain+, 2 bofs, 2 sos(the most op ra in the game) 3 mercs that do insane damage and have dirty tricks to shut down damage from the other side., and an arms for slam. You have 2 minstrels as your mezzers granted not as good as a sorc but still very capable. The thing this setup lacks is roots but with 3 mercs and an arms you dont really want a whole lot of roots so your snares are never on immunty. You have good interrupts with 2 minstrels and a ton of damage as well.

Nightmare
01-11-2014, 08:00 PM
Yeah this was the time when the Alb melee assist train really tore shit up. My guild on Guin/Alb Black Company mainly ran a PBAoE ice wiz group but at this time I think all of us rerolled into some kind of melee with most being mercenary. We would run around solo as a merc with a round shield and 1 handed blunt to make us look like a cleric. When a stealther would try to jump you all you had to do was switch over to your over main weapons and shit on them.

Delicateflower
01-11-2014, 08:43 PM
I guess ill be makin an alb then lol it was just that on uthgard i was a sorc, wanted to try another realm, didnt play alot though so whatever.

Hatorade
01-11-2014, 11:49 PM
Funny that mercs are good because that is what I was going to roll anyhow with the switch to Alb.

Janx
01-12-2014, 02:15 AM
Gonna roll up a minstrel it sounds like.

pyksel
01-12-2014, 04:57 AM
If you guys are rolling up on Alb, keep an eye out for invitations to Forge which is going to be a very large alliance/presence there. Quite a few guilds from Uthgard and previous days of pre-ToA Camelot are coming out of the woodwork to join and foster this alliance. Should be a formidable force against Midgard.

As far as exp gains are concerned it's definitely better than Uthgard. Seems like pet classes and/or groups are the way to go for best exp gains but make sure to not to stay too long at a camp or the camp bonus will dwindle to nothing.

I did the first few starting quests in Cotswold, then moved out to Shrouded Isle (via porter) and grinded mobs out there. Got to around 7 or 8 and then went into Lions Den (battleground) and grinded on giants/snakes until 10. From there to the undead filidh's and druids at /loc 53k,48k (hill with stones) in Camelot Hills until around 12, then back to SI until 15. Once you hit 15 you should be able to do entrance mobs of Darkness Falls and start participating more in the battlegrounds.

You could feasibly stay in SI for quite sometime grinding on mobs but I wanted a change of scenery.

Delicateflower
01-12-2014, 10:06 PM
How hard is it to "break" your toon in DAOC? Im in the game right now messing around, still undecided about which class to pick XD

Do i need a template and stick to it or else i might fubar my toon for a long time?

Im hesitating on Reaver, Merc, Sorc, Minstrel, Cabalist XD

Basically i want a good RvR class (thats wanted alot) that can fall back on solo PVE during off hours

Someone got a more in depth breakdown of classes for total noobs than this?

Uthgard DAOC: Albion Class Guide (http://uthgard.blogspot.ca/p/albion-class-guide.html)

Getting my first quest reward as minstrel dont even know if i should go might or dex or what lol

Eorkern
01-12-2014, 10:14 PM
I guess I'll go alb but EU schedule :/

Eorkern Cleric I think

Tolin
01-13-2014, 01:14 AM
So, viable to just level up in battlegrounds? I'm thinking of rolling up an infiltrator, but have no time to spend grouping (play is very sporadic).

pyksel
01-13-2014, 02:27 AM
The admins have placed an NPC in the marketplace of each capitol city where you can instant level from 1 to 50. Good way to test and go out with a bang.

Lost Ranger
01-13-2014, 03:58 AM
How hard is it to "break" your toon in DAOC? Im in the game right now messing around, still undecided about which class to pick XD

Do i need a template and stick to it or else i might fubar my toon for a long time?

Im hesitating on Reaver, Merc, Sorc, Minstrel, Cabalist XD

Basically i want a good RvR class (thats wanted alot) that can fall back on solo PVE during off hours

Someone got a more in depth breakdown of classes for total noobs than this?

Uthgard DAOC: Albion Class Guide (http://uthgard.blogspot.ca/p/albion-class-guide.html)

Getting my first quest reward as minstrel dont even know if i should go might or dex or what lol

Pretty sure just about every class can get specced into total uselessness. Research the class you are interested in and get a road map for the template you want at level 50. I do believe respeccing is possible, but it isn't easy. I think you need a rune from one of the realm dragons? Been years for me so I don't remember if there was a easier/cheaper way.

Just throwing points anywhere can not only make you a free kill at 50, even getting to 50 might be nearly impossible if you really fubar your spec since your damage output might be a fraction of what it should be.

Delicateflower
01-13-2014, 04:44 AM
Anyone know a good template listing for SI era classes? Kind of annoying being in the dark like that. Not sure i can even trust whats on uthgard because of patch difference.

Or a rough idea what to spec for mercs, sorcs and minstrels which is what i narrowed it down to by now.

Gecko
01-13-2014, 12:22 PM
You can't really super gimp your classes while leveling, and respecs are available. If memory serves they cost a certain amount of gold and get more expensive at max level, but I think you get a free one at 40.

I have my Sorcerer planned out, but probably won't completely focus on Mind while leveling due to charm not needing it that high.

Delicateflower
01-13-2014, 03:41 PM
Mike wazowski from red99 btw?

Gecko
01-13-2014, 03:45 PM
Mike wazowski from red99 btw?

Nope, I play as Ledd on P99, and Geck on red99. I'm amused someone uses Mike Wazowski. That's a character from Monsters, Inc. My Avatar I've used for the last ~10 years here and on FOH is Randall also from Monsters, Inc.

I'm actually tempted to make a Cabalist just since I figure they'll be very rare, and are super easy to level and play..

Hatorade
01-13-2014, 03:49 PM
Anyone know a good template listing for SI era classes? Kind of annoying being in the dark like that. Not sure i can even trust whats on uthgard because of patch difference.

Or a rough idea what to spec for mercs, sorcs and minstrels which is what i narrowed it down to by now.

I too am interested in this, going merc and no idea what I am doing.

Gecko
01-13-2014, 03:53 PM
Merc is pretty easy. You pump 50 into weapon, 50 into Dual Wield, and the rest into parry.

There will be respecs in this game, and it's not super complex.

Hatorade
01-13-2014, 04:02 PM
No shield for bashing? Or is that a later expansion thing?

Gecko
01-13-2014, 04:07 PM
As a light tank I'd guess most would want to focus on damage dealing, especially for leveling. Parry is far more useful as you won't have a shield like an Armsman use and swap to a 2her, but that's different. Light tanks can guard but thats really situational. The cookie cutter is 50 weap/50 DW and Parry, I think

Hatorade
01-13-2014, 04:12 PM
Sounds good thanks, last question any difference between 1hs and 1hb? Like does blunt have a chance to stun or anything?

Gecko
01-13-2014, 04:21 PM
Sounds good thanks, last question any difference between 1hs and 1hb? Like does blunt have a chance to stun or anything?

Yep, go check out the wikia:

Mercenary - Dark Age of Camelot Wiki (http://camelotherald.wikia.com/wiki/Mercenary)

Crush - Dark Age of Camelot Wiki (http://camelotherald.wikia.com/wiki/Crush)

Melicant
01-13-2014, 04:56 PM
Yep, go check out the wikia:

Mercenary - Dark Age of Camelot Wiki (http://camelotherald.wikia.com/wiki/Mercenary)

Crush - Dark Age of Camelot Wiki (http://camelotherald.wikia.com/wiki/Crush)

Be careful about using any current information, as a lot of style lines and other things have had significant changes since the 1.62 patch this server is running. I'm not sure if they have fully answered the respec question, but it's definitely not unlimited for gold as of their last postings. I was getting conflicting information as to if it will be dragon drop only or if they will be giving a single line respec at level 20 and level 40 too. Go here for roughly 1.62 styles and ra's:

http://web.archive.org/web/20030603190956/http://www.camelotherald.com/styles/

Hindered = Snare

http://uthgard.net/phpBB3/download/file.php?id=674&sid=fcb3a4077fad9e433d09ff098b767637&mode=view (armor resist tables)

First quarter 2003 was the 1.62 Patch, so look for discussions around that time for information. Here are a few merc ones from different forums:

Mercenary General Discussion Forum (http://lighttanksofdaoc.yuku.com/forums/10/Mercenary-General-Discussion/Mercenary-General-Discussion?page=11)

Merc 1.62 sc set 99 qua | The FreddysHouse Forums (http://forums.freddyshouse.com/threads/merc-1-62-sc-set-99-qua.140874/)

http://web.archive.org/web/20030824165145/http://home.nc.rr.com/obsidianguard/wyrd/Albion.htm ( rough growth rates for alb)

Gecko
01-13-2014, 05:27 PM
Be careful about using any current information, as a lot of style lines and other things have had significant changes since the 1.62 patch this server is running. I'm not sure if they have fully answered the respec question, but it's definitely not unlimited for gold as of their last postings. I was getting conflicting information as to if it will be dragon drop only or if they will be giving a single line respec at level 20 and level 40 too. Go here for roughly 1.62 styles and ra's

Great links. The other caveat is by level 40 even those with no DAOC experience will have a good grasp of their character and at least an idea of what they want spec wise at 50. I'd still stick with my original recommendation for a character build.

I dug through their forums and I couldn't find any respec information. I'd also like to get a list of what things are different between original DAOC SI and this server. That wasn't really clear, either.

Jackie Treehorn
01-13-2014, 05:42 PM
So, I only played DAOC like a handful of hours before quitting in 2003 or 2004.

Heretic vs. Cleric at this patch of the game, what's the opinion? No idea if I'll actually stick with it this time either, but I'll check it out. I like going around healing / buffing people / being useful in RvR. Heretic is easier to level solo from what I gather. I would have to assume heretic is more DPS with less healing, or something.

Gecko
01-13-2014, 05:49 PM
So, I only played DAOC like a handful of hours before quitting in 2003 or 2004.

Heretic vs. Cleric at this patch of the game, what's the opinion? No idea if I'll actually stick with it this time either, but I'll check it out. I like going around healing / buffing people / being useful in RvR. Heretic is easier to level solo from what I gather. I would have to assume heretic is more DPS with less healing, or something.

Heretic isn't around in SI:

The classes | Daoc Origins (http://daoc-origins.net/class/)

Jackie Treehorn
01-13-2014, 05:51 PM
Doh. Well that answers that question. I was just reading a link posted above and saw it. So I guess the only real healer is cleric for albion then, and friar to a lesser extent.

Hatorade
01-13-2014, 06:00 PM
If you are going to play Alb on this server I don't care what class you roll, all will be invited to my groups. I really hope everyone else agrees so we can focus on fun and community.

Young
01-13-2014, 06:18 PM
What are they going to do about the rampant use of radar?

Lost Ranger
01-13-2014, 06:28 PM
Ban as they go I guess.

Gecko
01-13-2014, 07:01 PM
What are they going to do about the rampant use of radar?

Put an invisible player on the screen and watch Mid Ubergroup head right for it. Ban. Rinse. Repeat.

Hatorade, sounds like a plan. I just hope we can get a good small group to play for a few months.

Flake
01-13-2014, 07:53 PM
Any way of finding out population?

DMBTylerWSP
01-13-2014, 08:49 PM
I'll roll a Cleric/Sorc/Anything really depending on what the group would prefer.

Gecko
01-13-2014, 09:11 PM
I'll roll a Cleric/Sorc/Anything really depending on what the group would prefer.

We have no idea how many people will play, or last. Clerics, Mercs, and Minstrels all stack nicely.

Delicate, if you are going to play with us, would you mind updating the first post of this thread with people, playtimes, preferred classes, and interest level. If not we can make a new thread.

Gecko - Albion Sorcerer.
Playtime is 7 PM to 11 PM EST Mon-Thur, Noon to 8 PM Sat and Sunday.

pyksel
01-13-2014, 09:13 PM
Any way of finding out population?

You can type /server in game to get a complete count of total population. Then from your realm just type /who and that will give you total count of your realm.

Hatorade
01-13-2014, 09:19 PM
Hatorade - Albion Merc
8PM central to late most days.

You can type /server in game to get a complete count of total population. Then from your realm just type /who and that will give you total count of your realm.
The launcher they use also shows the population(not sure if accurate)

Duppin
01-13-2014, 09:33 PM
I really want to play a friar, but I might try an armsman since I think they'll be pretty good in this patch environment?

DMBTylerWSP
01-13-2014, 09:36 PM
Not sure on the name but I'll probably go with Whitemage or something - Albion Cleric
7-10 PM central and shoddy hours on/off during the day.

Delicateflower
01-13-2014, 09:51 PM
We have no idea how many people will play, or last. Clerics, Mercs, and Minstrels all stack nicely.

Delicate, if you are going to play with us, would you mind updating the first post of this thread with people, playtimes, preferred classes, and interest level. If not we can make a new thread.

Gecko - Albion Sorcerer.
Playtime is 7 PM to 11 PM EST Mon-Thur, Noon to 8 PM Sat and Sunday.

Hmm better have someone who knows will stick for a long time start the thread. I think ill have fun but heh. Yeah ill be joining the rerolled alb fun wagon

Thanks for all the merc info btw (So much info to take in lol i think crush merc is what i was suggested on uthgard because it had some special ability? like dual wield crush, is that nice for 1.62?)

moontayle
01-13-2014, 10:21 PM
I'm torn between Scout, Theurgist, and Friar. Yes, I understand none of those are "desired" classes but I've never been one to go down the road less traveled. I played a Minstrel for a year and a half after release but these were three I was always interested in as an alternative.

Will be Moontayle and likely evenings, though the actual hours will vary.

Cinge
01-13-2014, 10:24 PM
Might give this a try.Will need to read up on classes, I was only midgard on release when I played.

Jackie Treehorn
01-13-2014, 10:41 PM
I'm getting massive graphical lag despite the fact I have a pretty modern system. Nearly unplayable. Whenever I try to turn around in circles and look in other directions the FPS drops down to nothing. Turned all the graphics settings to low as possible, no difference. Weird. All updated drivers, too, brand new Windows installation as of a few weeks ago.

Kharza-kzad
01-13-2014, 11:06 PM
BTW some classes autotrain weapon skills that are low, so sometimes people will do an unwanted weapon type to 20, keep it or spec to a second unwanted type to 40, then spec to their final at 40. Or wait till 50 and use a respec stone. I think it gets you a few extra skill points to spend.

I never had to mess with any of that so I may be completely wrong.

Also I think mercenaries with stabby weapons were good because of a dragonfang style. And stabby was good vs chain?

Xequecal
01-13-2014, 11:44 PM
Does anyone know if they're using the current DAoC interface or if they actually found a way to force the interface from way back then? There's a lot of stuff enabled by the new interface that you couldn't do with the old. Swapping from S/S to 2H with one button press is the most important one I can think of.

Destante
01-14-2014, 01:27 AM
I'm assuming its the new one since I could swap from sword and board to 2hander with the N and B keys but never played Daoc before so somebody else may know for sure.

Duppin
01-14-2014, 02:04 AM
Dragonfang gets a 9s stun, yes.

Cinge
01-14-2014, 02:12 AM
Now to install this crap, because its not a easy "click, download and install", shit is asking me for game.dll that doesn't exist etc.

Kedwyn
01-14-2014, 02:35 AM
Well open up the DAOC client and let it install the game. You can't have a game.dll from just downloading the installer.

Download the patch. Install that

Download the launcher, select the game.dll and you should be done unless you have to update your mysql

I'll probably dick around with this once it goes live. If I go alb I'll likely go inf.

Cinge
01-14-2014, 02:38 AM
Ah ok that was it then, I started the client and went to patch but it was stating live and given my previous experience with EMUs that is a big no no, so I just stopped it :P

Kedwyn
01-14-2014, 02:59 AM
Their instructions could be a little better for sure.

Server looks good though assuming they get the pop

sdfLURK
01-14-2014, 03:55 AM
I'll go be going a hib Mentalist. - Dokupuffs if anyone wants to chat and / or group. Getting this server to work was a lot of effort but I finally got it going, it just pissed me off that after going through the trainwreck launches of Shogun 2 / BF4 that I had to go through this bullshit - i'll hang in for a while and see how it goes.

Arkael
01-14-2014, 04:44 AM
I'm getting massive graphical lag despite the fact I have a pretty modern system. Nearly unplayable. Whenever I try to turn around in circles and look in other directions the FPS drops down to nothing. Turned all the graphics settings to low as possible, no difference. Weird. All updated drivers, too, brand new Windows installation as of a few weeks ago.

Anyone have any ideas about this? Their forums dont seem to, googlefu is failing me too. Pretty unplayable.

Kharza-kzad
01-14-2014, 05:15 AM
Hmm offhand only thing I could think of is maybe an overlapping window crossing two monitors? A lot of games have an off by one error in their screen rects that cause a little bit of overlap (forces a frame buffer copy across the bus to the other device). Wild guess, but try killing one monitor and see if it goes away.

Gecko
01-14-2014, 11:51 AM
I'm torn between Scout, Theurgist, and Friar. Yes, I understand none of those are "desired" classes but I've never been one to go down the road less traveled. I played a Minstrel for a year and a half after release but these were three I was always interested in as an alternative..

Scout is a great class, but tougher to level so I'd make that your second. Friar can solo and group very well. They are nice in groups too. Ditto with Theurgist. Scout will probably be my second character after my Sorcerer.

There are no wrong classes, unless you are trying to make an optimal gank group which I'm not personally too worried about.

Does anyone know if they're using the current DAoC interface or if they actually found a way to force the interface from way back then? There's a lot of stuff enabled by the new interface that you couldn't do with the old. Swapping from S/S to 2H with one button press is the most important one I can think of.

They are using the current interface.

Their instructions could be a little better for sure.

Server looks good though assuming they get the pop

The instructions and installer really should be fixed. The patcher didn't work replacing the game.dll for me, so I had to manually do that.

Server population is my biggest concern. Without enough pople, RVR will be awful. My brief time playing in Midgard on beta never had more than a dozen people online.

Origin
01-14-2014, 01:00 PM
Server population is my biggest concern. Without enough pople, RVR will be awful. My brief time playing in Midgard on beta never had more than a dozen people online.

Yep. This is my biggest concern also. Anyways, working hard to spread the word.

Thinking of rolling a wizard. Maybe a merc, if i feel like going melee. Albion either way.